ACN Latitudes Forums

Chlorine and Tics

• 11 months later...
Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone know why this might happen? Does anyone have insight on how long it might take for the effects to fade away so the tics decrease again? Does anyone have any strategies for preventing this or is the only answer to say no swimming (hard to say to a 10 year old boy)?

yes, I did a post on this topic not too long ago!!! Absolutely, chlorine is a big tic trigger!!!! We finally switched to a salt water chlorinator for our above ground pool....it cost around $180.00 at walmart.....best investment ever!!! My son swims every day now and has had no reactions to it!!! Last year....he had a small vocal tic every day from swimming in the chlorine pool we had......It seemed like it took about 3-5 days after swimming for the tic to start disipating!!!

We just encourage the swim days at our home with his friends vs. a public pool.

Good luck!!!

My son has been swimming for the past couple of days. He keeps asking me if he has mosquito bites on his back. He cannot stop scratching. I wonder if this is a tick or a reaction to the chlorine and sun , or his medication and the sun. I don't remember him ever being itchy after swimming.

I want to say yes because every summer we swim at our club and my sons tics and behaviors are worse. However it is hard to tell if this is just an enviromental thing from allergies in the air (pollens) or if it is a chlorine reaction. Right now my son has the worst blinking and eyes rolling to the sides over and over I have ever seen him do. Our OT commented on it yesterday because the eyes rolling were causing his visual perception to be more off then usual.

Again pinpointing what is the cause is just a guess. He was sick June 5th with a virus, school ended, we have been swimming and the pool's clorine was really messed up and had to be closed for a week. These TS and PANDAS kids are sensitive to lots of things. I am not keeping him out of the pool though. It is something he enjoys and I feel he is put through enough crappy things like Dr's appointmtnts all the time and meds he takes daily like an old person would. I will not deprive him of swimming! I have come to learn the tics are something we can put up with, (he doesn't complain about his eyes)the behaviors are what causes me the most distress!

I have read some old posts that indicate people have seen tics increase after swimming in pools. I am wondering if anyone has had this experience. Over the last few years, we have thought chlorine (or some chemical in the pool) might cause increases in tics, but is seems there are always so many variables. Yesterday, we went to the pool and today was awful with the tics. Oh, felt like a huge step back ...

Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone know why this might happen? Does anyone have insight on how long it might take for the effects to fade away so the tics decrease again? Does anyone have any strategies for preventing this or is the only answer to say no swimming (hard to say to a 10 year old boy)?

Michelle

I totally agree with you.