ACN Latitudes Forums

Chlorine and Tics

I have read some old posts that indicate people have seen tics increase after swimming in pools. I am wondering if anyone has had this experience. Over the last few years, we have thought chlorine (or some chemical in the pool) might cause increases in tics, but is seems there are always so many variables. Yesterday, we went to the pool and today was awful with the tics. Oh, felt like a huge step back ...

Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone know why this might happen? Does anyone have insight on how long it might take for the effects to fade away so the tics decrease again? Does anyone have any strategies for preventing this or is the only answer to say no swimming (hard to say to a 10 year old boy)?

I have read some old posts that indicate people have seen tics increase after swimming in pools. I am wondering if anyone has had this experience. Over the last few years, we have thought chlorine (or some chemical in the pool) might cause increases in tics, but is seems there are always so many variables. Yesterday, we went to the pool and today was awful with the tics. Oh, felt like a huge step back ...

Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone know why this might happen? Does anyone have insight on how long it might take for the effects to fade away so the tics decrease again? Does anyone have any strategies for preventing this or is the only answer to say no swimming (hard to say to a 10 year old boy)?

I don't know. I am new to this forum, and new to PANDAS. We had our first episode a year ago, but he improved to almost 100%. he is on antibiotics now for a sore throat that tested negative for strep, but we saw a flare up of symptoms (mild, thanfully).

Anyway, so last year when tics were heavy, our son was in swim lessons. He LOVES to swim. Every time we left the pool, as soon as we got in the car, the sniffing and clearing of the throat became very strong. It seemed like a clear correlation between increase in tics and the exposure to the pool.

However, eventually his symptoms faded (within about 6 months), and by a year, he seemed almost 100% better. He could even swim with no tics or anything. He hasn't gone in the pool this week since this new sore throatepisode, so i am not sure if we are entering another period of tics, or if the abs will heal us.

I don't know enough about the pattern of this disorder to really tell you what to expect. Weare so new to this. My only prayer for you is that his symptoms get better and then he can swim without problems. I understand what you mean. It is very hard to tell your child not to swim. They love it. Do you blame them? It is fun. I don't know what to tell you. But I hope you all get better soon.

LMAMA

Hi

we have many discussions on the TS/tics forum here on the negative impact of chlorine on tics

some are reporting success with specialized salt cleaning systems for their pools

having an epsom salts bath afterward can help a bit and some spray their kids down with epsom water after swimming (spray bottle)

chlorine is one of my son's biggest tic triggers

I want to say yes because every summer we swim at our club and my sons tics and behaviors are worse. However it is hard to tell if this is just an enviromental thing from allergies in the air (pollens) or if it is a chlorine reaction. Right now my son has the worst blinking and eyes rolling to the sides over and over I have ever seen him do. Our OT commented on it yesterday because the eyes rolling were causing his visual perception to be more off then usual.

Again pinpointing what is the cause is just a guess. He was sick June 5th with a virus, school ended, we have been swimming and the pool's clorine was really messed up and had to be closed for a week. These TS and PANDAS kids are sensitive to lots of things. I am not keeping him out of the pool though. It is something he enjoys and I feel he is put through enough crappy things like Dr's appointmtnts all the time and meds he takes daily like an old person would. I will not deprive him of swimming! I have come to learn the tics are something we can put up with, (he doesn't complain about his eyes)the behaviors are what causes me the most distress!

I will not deprive him of swimming! I have come to learn the tics are something we can put up with,

michele

for some kids it isnt just the tics that get worse after swimming.......................

(altho for some that worse ticcing can be severe enough to have them become afraid to swim!)

my son started to have horrible breakouts of hives from chlorine water. along with pretty intense tic trigger

some develop breathing problems, headaches and other stuff and yes, sometimes such sensitivity reactions can also cause behavioral/mood issues

multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) is a growing diagnosis because of the overexposure that we all get to chemicals

it is like all allergies and can be serious if overexposure occurs.

chlorine is but one chemical that some people have found has severe impact on them, including their tics.

it isnt "depriving" someone with dairy allergy when you have to remove milk, or not eating peanuts if you are allergic to them. It is a necessary elimination for a potentially serious adverse health reaction.

Similarly so for those who have severe reactions to swimming in chlorinated water.

However

as I mentioned above, there seems to be a viable option in using a salt purification system instead

here is that thread on the TS forum http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4886

also the relief some get from the epsom water

my son had enough bad reactions to chlorine to decide for himself when he was only 11 that no way will he swim in it again.

Yes I would agree if they have a severe reaction it would be something to discontinue like you would a milk allergy. The saltwater systems do seem so much healthier. In our case how can you pinpoint if it is the chlorine causing the eye blinking, or what else? Is there a test to check for chlorine allergies? For us it is a guessing game as to what is causing the eye rolls. Also he has on goggles the entire time so I don't know that his eyes were in the water at all.

I will not deprive him of swimming! I have come to learn the tics are something we can put up with,

michele

for some kids it isnt just the tics that get worse after swimming.......................

(altho for some that worse ticcing can be severe enough to have them become afraid to swim!)

my son started to have horrible breakouts of hives from chlorine water. along with pretty intense tic trigger

some develop breathing problems, headaches and other stuff and yes, sometimes such sensitivity reactions can also cause behavioral/mood issues

multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) is a growing diagnosis because of the overexposure that we all get to chemicals

it is like all allergies and can be serious if overexposure occurs.

chlorine is but one chemical that some people have found has severe impact on them, including their tics.

it isnt "depriving" someone with dairy allergy when you have to remove milk, or not eating peanuts if you are allergic to them. It is a necessary elimination for a potentially serious adverse health reaction.

Similarly so for those who have severe reactions to swimming in chlorinated water.

However

as I mentioned above, there seems to be a viable option in using a salt purification system instead

here is that thread on the TS forum http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4886

also the relief some get from the epsom water

my son had enough bad reactions to chlorine to decide for himself when he was only 11 that no way will he swim in it again.

Hi Chemar,

You mentioned spraying with epsom after swimming. Any idea what the water/salt ratio is when mixing up the solution to spray? Do you know if they rinse off right away or leave the solution on for some time?

Thanks to everyone for their comments on this. With no guide book for PANDAS, it helps to hear other people have noticed the same things so I don't feel so crazy!

Hi Swim

we havent ever used the spray down method, only the epsom baths @ 2 cups epsom in tub of warm water or footbath with one cup epsom.

try asking the member who mentioned the spraying on that thread I linked

when I make epsom cream/ointment I use a tablespoon salts dissolved in same amount hot h20 and then blended into a 1/2 cup of cream

hi. it was me, julie, who mentioned the spray down. our doctor recommended 1/4 cup salt to water in a large spray bottle. we leave it on after each swim and then take a bath after camp.

julie

quote name='swim' date='Jul 4 2009, 02:00 AM' post='34650']

Hi Chemar,

You mentioned spraying with epsom after swimming. Any idea what the water/salt ratio is when mixing up the solution to spray? Do you know if they rinse off right away or leave the solution on for some time?

Thanks to everyone for their comments on this. With no guide book for PANDAS, it helps to hear other people have noticed the same things so I don't feel so crazy!

Does anyone notice OCD, anxiety or other mood issues, alone, increasing with chlorine?

I am still trying to figure this whole thing out. We live in the city, and our bathing water (we don't drink it) is chlorinated. I am contemplating a filter. (My daughter has never had tics, but struggles with pandas ocd and other pandas induced behavior issues).

My dd7 celebrated her birthday at the pool with her friends on a Saturday night and the following Mon, Tues, & Wed she had an increase in anxiety, raging, emotional lability and all of her other Pandas symtoms. Tics have not been one of her symptoms so we did not see any of those. thursday morning she woke and was feeling "normal"

yes my son has waxing of his mood/OCD in addition to his tics with chemicals, including but not exclusive to chlorine

perfume or household cleaner smells gives him an odd headache and then folllowed by irritible and "off" mood, tics waxing and that can often in itself be an OCD trigger for him, and freshly shampood carpets are a BIG trigger for him too, as well as pesticided gardens etc

we honestly keep him as unexposed to chemicals as we possibly can, in food, toiletries, clothing, bedding, environment etc. It really has been worth it

he has a TS diagnosis and we were told he wasnt PANDAS by Dr Murphy (he hasnt ever had strep throat either that we know of)

He has shown so many of the symptoms that I see PANDAS parents mention over theyears so not sure if that is just crossover areas with TS/OCD or maybe the greater knowledge now re PANDAS would have shown him to have it back then

he is 19yo now and seems to have his tics, OCD and moods, as well as his Crohn's under control with very careful diet, supplements and environment

yes, I did a post on this topic not too long ago!!! Absolutely, chlorine is a big tic trigger!!!! We finally switched to a salt water chlorinator for our above ground pool....it cost around $180.00 at walmart.....best investment ever!!! My son swims every day now and has had no reactions to it!!! Last year....he had a small vocal tic every day from swimming in the chlorine pool we had......It seemed like it took about 3-5 days after swimming for the tic to start disipating!!!

We just encourage the swim days at our home with his friends vs. a public pool.

Good luck!!!