ACN Latitudes Forums

biofilm protocols

my son's doctor has recommended that we start to address breaking down his biofilm and i was wondering if anyone has used a biofilm protocol, and if so, how did it work?

thanks!

julie

I am new to all of this. What is biofilm?

my son's doctor has recommended that we start to address breaking down his biofilm and i was wondering if anyone has used a biofilm protocol, and if so, how did it work?

thanks!

julie

Here's wikipedia's article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biofilm

Thanks! All of you are such amazing advocates for your children! I am learning so much! thanks!

peglem,

have you used a protocol to clear out the biofilm? the doctor's thinking is that we need to break down the filmy "bad" biofilm that prevents him from absorbing nutrients and detoxing germs, yeast, etc. I find it difficulto to make sense of it all!

thanks!

julie

Here's wikipedia's article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biofilm

Thanks! All of you are such amazing advocates for your children! I am learning so much! thanks!

peglem,

have you used a protocol to clear out the biofilm? the doctor's thinking is that we need to break down the filmy "bad" biofilm that prevents him from absorbing nutrients and detoxing germs, yeast, etc. I find it difficulto to make sense of it all!

I don't know what you mean by protocol. (I mean, I know what a protocol is, just didn't know there was one for eradicating strep biofilms) There was not a test to check for biofilms, but I theorized, due to my daughter's chronic strep that biofilm was a strong possibility. We used (and still are using) azithromycin for a prophyllactic Abx, because it has been shown to have the ability to penetrate the biofilm (studies done mostly in cystic fibrosis) to get at the microbes inside. I know that bacteria can cooperate with fungi and yeast in biofilms, besides Abx causing yeast infections, so we used antifungals(first diflucan and later switched to Nystatin which she is still on). This was just doing what made sense to her doc and I, not anybody's "protocol."

thanks. there is an old post from the tourettes forum about this from october 22, 2007 - a doctor usman writes about it under kim's post (sorry - not sure how to better describe where it is to you). there are different approaches and they include the antibiotics and antifungals but also involve other supplements. in summary, as our doctor described, it includes 4 steps. she stressed the timing as being very important:

1) detachment of biofilm with things like enzymes, apple cider vinegar, etc. on an empty stomach

2)microbrial killing with antifungals and antibiotics no sooner than 15 minutes later

3)clean up with fiber, charcoal, brown algae a few hours later

4)rebuild and nourish with probiotics, prebiotics, high orac

...expect die off about 21 days in...

would love your thoughts on this. also, why did you switch to nystatin from diflucan? have you seen any changes in your daughter since you have taken your approach? how much azithromycin does she take prophylactically?

thanks!

julie

peglem,

I don't know what you mean by protocol. (I mean, I know what a protocol is, just didn't know there was one for eradicating strep biofilms) There was not a test to check for biofilms, but I theorized, due to my daughter's chronic strep that biofilm was a strong possibility. We used (and still are using) azithromycin for a prophyllactic Abx, because it has been shown to have the ability to penetrate the biofilm (studies done mostly in cystic fibrosis) to get at the microbes inside. I know that bacteria can cooperate with fungi and yeast in biofilms, besides Abx causing yeast infections, so we used antifungals(first diflucan and later switched to Nystatin which she is still on). This was just doing what made sense to her doc and I, not anybody's "protocol."

We tried the Biofilm Protocol for about 3-4 months a year and a half ago under the supervision of our DAN doctor. While we did not have any adverse effects, we did not see anything positive either. So we discontinued it.

The Biofilm Protocol consists of three stages: (1) breakdown and detachment of the Biofilm using specific enzymes; (2) EDTA, attacking of the microbes; and 3) clean-up phase.

My daughter had to take Disodium EDTA, Lactoferrin I, Sugar Starch Digestion I, and Fiber Digestion I in the am when she woke up (on an empty stomach). Then she had to take her antibiotic, antifungal, and other supplements an hour later when she ate breakfast. At least 1 hour later, she had to take Natursyl, charcoal, and modified citrus pectin. This had to be repeated in the afternoon when she arrived home from school.

Here's a link to an explanation of the protocol: http://drkurtwoeller.blogspot.com/2009/03/...unresolved.html

Nancy

thanks. there is an old post from the tourettes forum about this from october 22, 2007 - a doctor usman writes about it under kim's post (sorry - not sure how to better describe where it is to you). there are different approaches and they include the antibiotics and antifungals but also involve other supplements. in summary, as our doctor described, it includes 4 steps. she stressed the timing as being very important:

1) detachment of biofilm with things like enzymes, apple cider vinegar, etc. on an empty stomach

2)microbrial killing with antifungals and antibiotics no sooner than 15 minutes later

would love your thoughts on this. also, why did you switch to nystatin from diflucan? have you seen any changes in your daughter since you have taken your approach? how much azithromycin does she take prophylactically?

thanks!

julie

peglem,

thanks!

julie

Hmmm, well, what if the biofilm is in the sinuses? I guess my thoughts are that it looks like nothing on there will kill you or give you permanent SEs. I don't think they have any way of determining if there actually is a biofilm there (1st of all) and second, they have no way of knowing what microbes are involved in the alleged biofilm. Further, they have no way of determining if step #1 has actually caused a detachment. Just my take on it...my daughter has other, pretty severe neurological issues (maybe PANDAS related, but who knows) and over the years I've tried an awful lot of alternative methods/stategies that at least have been safe- most didn't work...so I'm a bit of a skeptic on things like this, so take my opinion with those grains...

The switch from diflucan was because my daughter seemed to be getting tummy aches after the diflucan dose- she was taking one tablet/week- I think 200 or 250mg. She gets 3 doses of Nystantin a day, but seems to tolerate it better. Her zith regimen is 250mg/day for 5 days, then 7 days to allow it to clear from her system. Her pediatrician is concerned about it building up in her liver, so he wants her cleared between courses. We also check liver function about every 6 months.