ACN Latitudes Forums

Absence Seizures

Hello...I don't post ever...but I do stop by every now and then. <_<

My son has started having absence seizures. Is there anything I can do about this? I'm worried he's going to get hurt.

Hi, have you seen a neurologist for them? My dd had them but she was having many, many a day. She was on medication and supressed them for a year. She just had a normal EEG and is slowly coming off her medication. Depending on what type of seizure they are, the possibility of outgrowing them increases if they are supressed for 2 or so years.

Good luck!

Susan

Hi <_<

Best thing is to get your doctor to write a referral for an EEG. My daughter has absence seizures, and they can easilly be controlled by medication. It's important to get these seen to straight away, as, yes, it can be dangerous... eg, walking into a car or something similar. There are 2 types, the ones where they have no idea what is going on in those few seconds, and the other where they are aware but can't do anything about it. Either way, your boy should be fine with meds. Try not to worry as this is very common.

Best to get the EEG done asap.

all best,

Lyn.

I just got a call back from the doctor's office. He has Lyme disease. This explains a lot.

I hope they are starting the antibiotics etc immediately for Lyme

left untreated it can begin to cause many serious complications

praying for a rapid healing for your son

ps there is some helpful info on Lyme at NeuroTalk

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum91.html

Thanks for the replies. The seizures have let up for the last few days. I haven't noticed any anyway.

Hi,

What test did you do to find out lymes? Is this acute or chronic?

Thanks,

madhu.

Hi, it was a western blot, and I think it is congenital Lyme...which doesn't exist. <_< He has had joint problems since he was a toddler, and I tested positive for Lyme too. It's definitely not acute anyway.

Here's a link for those interested: http://www.lymeinducedautism.com/

He has an appointment in July, and treatment will start then. I'm relieved that I may have an answer as to WHY. I can never believe our bodies do strange things like with TS or arthritis for NO reason.

I'll try and update how the treatment affects his tics.

harpazo hope,

what do you mean he has lyme, but it doesn't exist? I'm confused.

I do recall someone from that 20/20 segment on the 4 kids with ts writing a comment on the abc site encouraging parents to look into lyme disease, as that is what her child was found to have when he was previously diagnosed with ts. so your experience is interesting.

Faith

• 5 months later...
harpazo hope,

what do you mean he has lyme, but it doesn't exist? I'm confused.

I do recall someone from that 20/20 segment on the 4 kids with ts writing a comment on the abc site encouraging parents to look into lyme disease, as that is what her child was found to have when he was previously diagnosed with ts. so your experience is interesting.

Faith

Sorry it has taken so long to get back. I forgot about this site...things have been nuts.

What I mean is that CHRONIC Lyme and CONGENITAL Lyme do not exist according to the "authorities." It's kind of like PANDAS in that way. There are some doctors who have pulled their heads out of the sand and are treating it, but as far as national recommendations and insurance companies go, my son and I could not possibly have Lyme.

Anyway, treatment has not been helping yet. He's been on antibiotics since my last post. I think his tics have become worse. He has also continued to have absence seizures.

This time I enabled email notification of replies. :D