ACN Latitudes Forums

Tonsils out

Since I rec'd some emails, I just thought I would update the forum.

DD had her tonsils out on Tuesday. I wanted to have it done to help prevent even one future strep episode. Both neurologists we see, and the ENT all thought this was a good idea. Her tonsils appeared "unremarkable" prior to surgery, but afterward the ENT told me they were "juicy" and larger than he thought. Maybe there was some strep hiding out in there!

As per neurologist, we did 10 days of full strenght zithromax prior to surgery. We are following surgery with 5 days full strength, and will then resume prophylactic dose of 2x weekly.

DD was already about 95% recovered from pandas episode before the surgery. She is recovering nicely from surgery, so far. Will update everyone in a few weeks to let you know if there is any change in behavoir.

Since I rec'd some emails, I just thought I would update the forum.

DD had her tonsils out on Tuesday. I wanted to have it done to help prevent even one future strep episode. Both neurologists we see, and the ENT all thought this was a good idea. Her tonsils appeared "unremarkable" prior to surgery, but afterward the ENT told me they were "juicy" and larger than he thought. Maybe there was some strep hiding out in there!

As per neurologist, we did 10 days of full strenght zithromax prior to surgery. We are following surgery with 5 days full strength, and will then resume prophylactic dose of 2x weekly.

DD was already about 95% recovered from pandas episode before the surgery. She is recovering nicely from surgery, so far. Will update everyone in a few weeks to let you know if there is any change in behavoir.

So glad she is doing so well! My 7 yr old got her tonsils ut when she was 5. She had a marked improvement on her behavoir and how often she was sick. I wonder about my 6 yr old and whether she should have hers out but she does not seem to have trouble with strep in her throat! I'll be very interested to hear how your dd does!

Susan

I am so happy they are continuing with the prophylactic dose of antibiotics. My son contracted strep a month after having his tonsils out. I keep hitting dead ends on getting prophylactics. Just never push symptoms of PANDAS out of the way, thinking she's gone through surgery and is on antibiotics, so therefore she won't contract strep. I hope she has a speedy recovery!