ACN Latitudes Forums

knee tic

I've started an elimination diet with my son to hopefully decrease his tics and improve his attention. He had football practice tonight and started hitting his knee...got worse when we got home. Has anyone seen this before????

Nicholas

Hi

my son has developed tics in areas of irritation...maybe your son scraped his knee during practice? or pulled a muscle/tendon there?

another thing that has been noticed by some parents is that their kids may tic more after sports on fields that have been recently pesticided

Hi

my son has developed tics in areas of irritation...maybe your son scraped his knee during practice? or pulled a muscle/tendon there?

another thing that has been noticed by some parents is that their kids may tic more after sports on fields that have been recently pesticided

Thank you for your reply. The tic my son has is that he punches his knee and it occurs with much more persistance and regularity when he is outside. I'm determining if the sun impacts the tic???

Hi

Thank you for your reply. The tic my son has is that he punches his knee and it occurs with much more persistance and regularity when he is outside. I'm determining if the sun impacts the tic???

This has changed he now hits his knee even when he is inside the house. He constantly hits his knee, looks at the sun, pinches his nose and sometimes rubs his eyes. This seems like an alergy???? Any helpful expeiences or thoughts????

mommyof2 and nicholas,

with this type tic, I am wondering, does he tap his knee or hit it with his whole hand? is it once at a time, or like a certain number of times in a row? just curious, because it could be more ocd in nature, like touching something 3x or until if "feels right".

Faith

He just takes his whole fist sometimes closed sometimes not and taps his upper leg...no set number of times.... i think it is more of a nervous or bored thing he does we do not notice any ocd in him

mary

mommyof2 and nicholas,

with this type tic, I am wondering, does he tap his knee or hit it with his whole hand? is it once at a time, or like a certain number of times in a row? just curious, because it could be more ocd in nature, like touching something 3x or until if "feels right".

Faith

He just takes his whole fist sometimes closed sometimes not and taps his upper leg...no set number of times.... i think it is more of a nervous or bored thing he does we do not notice any ocd in him

mary

mommyof2 and nicholas,

Faith

Hi Faith, he tells me that it's like an itch.... he punches his knee repeatedly a few times. Sometimes whenhe watches TV, is playing outside in the sun (at which time he looks at the sun...repeatedly)... I often wonder if the two tics are intertwined...sensory tics????

• 2 weeks later...

My son now has a neck tic in which he cracks his neck??? We just completed the allergies test and pandas test and are awaiting results. We've decreased his ritalin at the start of the summer (halved it) and these new tics have presented themselves. Any connections??? Take care, Nicholas

nicholas,

is he on ritalin for adhd? did he have tics when you started that? how long has he been on ritalin, and how old is he again? you think the ritalin helped reduce tics? I was under impression that ritalin could actually bring out tics, but not sure. I really don't know if there is a connection here. Is this the first time you have decreased the dose for summer? if not, what was the previous result?

Faith

nicholas,

is he on ritalin for adhd? did he have tics when you started that? how long has he been on ritalin, and how old is he again? you think the ritalin helped reduce tics? I was under impression that ritalin could actually bring out tics, but not sure. I really don't know if there is a connection here. Is this the first time you have decreased the dose for summer? if not, what was the previous result?

Faith

Hi Faith, this is the first summer that we have reduced his ritalin which helps him make it through school (ADHD). He has been on ritalin for about a year and a half. He is now 8 and was diagnosed with Tourettes when he was 6. Since we have decreased his Ritalin we've noticed that his tics have moved to a head tic...cracking of his head...like cracking your fingers. He also cracks his fingers. We are waiting for some allergy testing and Panda's testing, should have the results within two weeks. Since we decreased the Ritalin we've also realized that he isn't hyper as we was before. We're thining of taking him off Ritalin completely before the end of July. Could the excess in tics be caused by this change in meds???

Nicholas

nicholas,

actually I am surprised he is on ritalin if he was diagnosed with ts at 6? Is that what this med is for? I thought that was an ADHD med? and you say he is "less" hyper while decreasing? Again, I would have thought ritalin is for the symptoms of hyperactivity and attention. Usually stimulant meds are not prescribed for tourettes patients or even someone with history of tics in the family. so your recent experience is a little confusing. but apparently ritalin kept his tics at bay? why did you wean down then?

Faith

Nicholas,

Is your son on anything else besides the ritalin? Does he take any supplements? My 8 year old son will hit his knee or hand or wherever he has hurt himself or irritated somewhere. Are you planning on weaning your son completely from the ritalin since you noticed that he is not as hyper? I am also surprised as is Faith that your dr prescribed your son ritalin with a diagnosis of ts since tics can be a side effect.

San

Nicholas,

Is your son on anything else besides the ritalin? Does he take any supplements? My 8 year old son will hit his knee or hand or wherever he has hurt himself or irritated somewhere. Are you planning on weaning your son completely from the ritalin since you noticed that he is not as hyper? I am also surprised as is Faith that your dr prescribed your son ritalin with a diagnosis of ts since tics can be a side effect.

San

Hi San, thank you for your reply. My son has been on a number of medications since he was diagnosed and tremendously affected by side affects. Ritalin seems to be the only medication that helped him get through school. We have been gradually withdrawing the Ritalin and his tics have increased. His child psychiatrist tells us that it is the normal wax and wanes of tics. He is on NAC, Niacinamide, Muti Vitamin, and Vitamin B. We are waiting for allergy and Panda results. I'm hoping that will give us some insight into what is causing the tics and inattention. In combination with his knee tic, shoulder tic...my son rubs his eyes and squeezes his bridge of his nose. These tics look like allergy tics???? I've heard that Magnesium etc help with tics but my nathuropathic doctor would like to wait before we add any vitamins or minerals.

Take care,

Nicholas

My son did alot of hitting his upper leg with his fist....not hard..... it was one thing he always did even when the topamax took so much of his tics away... not sure why he did it????????????????

Mary

Mary and Others,

I see alot of post where parents are using topamax. I am at a point with my son that I feel we need to try something other than supplements. Can anyone tell me what your children have experienced as far as side effects. We have seen 2 neurologist and both wanted to start with Haloparidol, or Haldol. We tried Keppra for 3 days and he was having hallucinations, so we stopped using it.

Thanks for your help.

Linda