ACN Latitudes Forums

L-Tryptophan

Anyone used L-tryptophan for tics? Does anyone know if it would work? Read something somewhere, a woman used it for her tics. I know it can be powerful stuff, and should be used with caution. Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge about it?

kalik,

All I can say is that I did try it with my son, but I actually thought he had an increase just from one or two capsules, so I did not continue. I wrote about it here somewhere a few months back. I figured it would have a calming effect, but I felt he spiked for a week or so after that. I don't see the harm in trying, but just watch for any reaction as with anything new. I've taken them myself hoping for help with calming and some depression, and honestly didn't notice anything one way or another, but I did not keep it up.

Caryn may have some input, I think she gave it to her son for anxiety?

Faith

kalik, I have not heard it being taken for tics per se but rather to boost serotonin and so help the comorbid depression/anxiety/OCD. However as we have all learned, what relaxes usually also helps tics so perhaps that is why some use it for tics

my son used to take 5 hydroxy tryptophan (5HTP) beneficially. But when he tried it some years later he said it made him feel spaced out and edgy. so we tried tryptophan and he did not like the effect....made him very groggy.

I currently take 5HTP with GABA, and do okay with it. I have tried tryptophan to help be calm and relaxed, and also as I am a vegan, it is an amino acid I probably get less of in my diet than most. It made me so wired and awake, it was unbelievable. I took it in the evening, and probably only slept 60 minutes the whole night. I tried again with similar results, and haven't tried it since. I hear talk on this board occasionally of amino acids being problems, and it makes me wonder if there is an amino acid allergy/sensitivity that I am dealing with. Certainly interested in hearing any other experiences with tryptophan and thoughts on what these adverse reactions could be about.

MichaelTampa,

how do feel the 5htp and gaba helps? does it help with any of your tics? My son seems to be okay with gaba and I have given 2 capsules (1000 mg). It seemed to calm his vocal somewhat, not totally, but somewhat.

Kalik, if that is the tic you are looking at, gaba may be one to try, I would be interested to see if it had same effect on someone else. I had suggested it to C.P, but I don't think it helped her guy. best to give on empty stomach and I use 1000 mgs. because I think that much of it is not easily absorbed thru the blood brain barrier.

Faith

Hello!

Everyone is different and will re-act differently to most supplements. My husband tried L-Tryp. for a month and we both noticed his tics increasing! It was a costly lesson and as we all know L-Tryp. is NOT cheap! You will have to experiment with supplements unfortunately. What works for my husband does not work for my son...the only thing they have in common is they both respond great to calcium/magnesium 2:1 ratio.

Good Luck with your detective work!

My "tics" are primarily the uncontrolled emotions and thoughts, that most people classify as the comorbid conditions of anxiety/depression/bipolar, and I take the 5HTP and GABA (along with many many other things) with the idea of providing the body with the nutrition it needs. I have bad digestion, lots of allergies/sensitivities, and so I know I don't get much from food. The 5HTP and GABA are things that I have noticed that they help lessen anxiety. Not a lot, just a little.

I take 1000 mg GABA and 100 mg 5HTP each day, although it is split up--half at breakfast and half at lunch. Although many take tryptophan at night, and probably it is common to take 5HTP at night, my sense is it interferes with my sleep, just like taking tryptophan absolutely wired me up. I hear that GABA and 5HTP are important to balance in your body in the right ratio to each other. Not suggesting my ratio is best for others--my doctors tests me for what to take--but suggesting people consider if they want both or just one.