ACN Latitudes Forums

Any one heard of Dr. Sims

ccc

Chemar, all you are doing is posting the fear we all are thinking in the back of our minds. I'm glad you are out there because sometimes you say something I have forgotten.

I think char is right we need to hear from parents who have spent the $$$ and would believe in the results so much they would be shouting from the rooftops.

I'm worried my son would have some sort of oral issue with this thing, he already can't keep his fingers off the braces. I can see why Chemar's son would think this could cause a tic, I've been wondering that myself.

CP

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Chemar, first I would like to thank you for everything you have done for us in this forum. Now regarding magnesium, my naturopathic doctor says that in order for Calcium to be absorbed by the body it has to have sufficient amount of magnesium. He, actually, advised to take magnesium, not calcium. Then magnesium will help absorb the calcium derived from food. Maybe lack of calcium absorption contributed to lack of proper bones development for our kids. (just a guess.).We’ve been fighting TS symptoms and went through all possible treatments long enough to be not over optimistic regarding new inventions, but we did some exercise. I asked my child to put her tongue between her teeth and not to press her teeth against each other for as long as she could ( in order not to suppress those nerves directly.) After a while she told that she knows that the ticks are there but somehow she has better control over them. ?????

Interesting topic! I am by no means ready to part with $3,000 and travel cross country, but I'm going to try to keep an open mind on this one. It does seem that many of our kids have issues when teething; it's been discussed before. Several here feel passionate abut cranial-sacral massage (not too far off from this device), and the typical age of onset coincides with teeth erupting, and the typical age of "worst tics ever" seems to coincide with the typical period of molar loss/growth/rearrangement.

My own son, who hasn't had tics in a long while started again last week. Aside from allergy season or end-of-school excitement, the only thing I can come up with as far as a trigger is his first wiggly tooth. (I give it a day or two before the Tooth Fairy gets it).

Anyway, I'm not a believer or a nonbeliever yet, but I will be following this topic with interest.

I can understand how the concept of "cure-all" is offensive, but I'd be more concerned if he were advertising "I cured my son's tics, you can too for three easy payments" all over the net.

Time will tell.

I would like to know how this Dr. could explain why the dopamine blocker meds work, or why fish oil makes tics worse. And if this is jaw related then why is it boys who get ts more? Could he explain the jaw growth between boys and girls? Just so many questions.

Are you all wondering the same things?

CP

Trying to find some one posting about this device and Dr. Sims for all of you.

I found one tonight so far:

Here is the website/link http://blogs.babycenter.com/momformation/2...-food-allergies

When you get to the page scroll down until you reach the replies part and then scroll down to number 18

She says it works when its in but if he takes it out they come back immediatley. Also states that it did help with other condition.

Hope this helps, I will search more tomorrow for everyone. I do hope this works for some of you (I really want it to be a miracle and help everyone)! But for now until I have more info and actual testomonies....I am kind of skeptical.....as I guess everyone is.

Will you post your results CCC???? Goodluck and I wish and pray the best outcome for you.

I gave the info on these Drs to my son's ortho. she is going to read up on that, and consult me and my husband. She is very sensitive to my son's TS, so I will see what she thinks and how his braces now play a roll. Dr. Sims in MD, Dr. Stack is in Northern VA, who knows may be she knows them.

CP

Anybody else have a good DDS they would like to discuss this with?

Hi All,

My Husband and I have been really interested in this device and why it would work?? My hubby decided to email Dr. Sims and ask him a few questions. We got a respond right away from him, which is great! He seems very passionate about the work he does and seems to be generally interested in helping others. He said first off you have a consultation with him, on the first visit. He said from that, the patient and he'll know from that visit, if the appliance will help to stop or diminish the tics. He said he has never claimed this to be a cure all for someone with tics or TS. He said however, all his patients who got the appliance so far in his office, have had the same results. The tics( movements) have stopped. He also stated that he has helped children from 5 years old to patients who are 52 years old. He is very willing to describe why he thinks this appliance has helped his patients.He said you can phone him and he is very willing to talk. He said the appliance needs to be worn all day. He said the appliance should be worn for 6 to 9 months depending on the patients jaw. We asked also if the tics stop with the appliance in, then do the tics start again when the appliance is out and he said yes the tics start right away! So the appliance should be worn all the time. Another question we asked was, how long before a patient adjusts to the appliance( speech and feeling O.K. with it in the mouth). He responded by saying, usually 2 to 3 days. He said I can call him if I have any more questions and he is willing to try to help as many people as he can. Just thought I would share what I have found out. Char... :huh:

In trying to follow along here, is this saying that having TMJ is a possible cause of the tics, due to certain nerves being pressed upon or something like that? Is that what having a misaligned jaw means, that you have TMJ? I guess I'm asking is, is this all about TMJ and correcting that? I'm a little confused.

Does craniosacral therapy work in the same way? has anyone who has had that feel there has been some releif or improvement that can bolster any of this?

Ironically, it seems TMJ is also one of those all in your head or "mystery" ailments that medical doctors do not know much about, and insurance companies do not recognize. <_<

thanks

Faith

faith,

My husband has talked with Mr. Sims, and he did explain somewhat about what he has discovered. I have not had a chance to talk with hubby yet but he did make an appointment with the Dr. in July for our son. My husband said he is taking a wait and see. The first appt. is 2 hours long. I kind of had the thought maybe it was something like he was treating tmj and found that it also helped with the tics someone with tmj may have had. You know how you find other things work while you are treating something else. I'll let you know how the appt. goes.

CP

ALL,

We recieved in the mail some paperwork Dr. Sims wants filled out before hand, and one is from Yale Child Study Center Tourettes Syndrome.

This is a very good questionaire, asking for a motor tic checklist, then a phonic tic checklist. Age of onset, what were tics like at "worse ever" period. 58 questions on OCD symptoms, and there severity. It asks about family history, evvironmental effects on tics/ocd.

CP

ALL,

We recieved in the mail some paperwork Dr. Sims wants filled out before hand, and one is from Yale Child Study Center Tourettes Syndrome.

This is a very good questionaire, asking for a motor tic checklist, then a phonic tic checklist. Age of onset, what were tics like at "worse ever" period. 58 questions on OCD symptoms, and there severity. It asks about family history, evvironmental effects on tics/ocd.

CP

Not sure if this is too good to be true but I just got off the phone with Dr. Sims and he really convinced me. Although this will really put a strain on us financially I feel like I have to go see him with my boys. Knowing my family's luck, we will be the one's who he cannot help. I will keep everyone posted on our adventure. Pray for us!

The doctor called me today and talked with me for about and hour. He has gone to the TSA and talked with them. He also just got back from London speaking. He spent a year and half doning research. He takes the time to explain to you how it works. As for as how long you have to wear the device it depends on the person. Once the jaw is reset you can have orthodontic surgury to make it permanent. We have an appointment on July 13 so I will let you know. To me it makes so much since if you are willing to look outside the box of what traditional medecinie tells you. So many doctors would be proven wrong and nobody ever wants to admitt they were wrong. For me and my family it is worth trying. It is not painfully and if it keep him from taking 30 pills a day I am all for it.

I called and spoke to the doctor as well. We are booked for July 20th. My husband keeps telling me not to get my hopes up and I know that I need to be realistic. This is going to cost a lot of money, time off work, taking the kids out of camp, travel......but if it works it will have been worth it. I will keep you posted.

mylittleangel,

Do you live within driving distance of MD? I'll be praying.

This is good ccc appt. is July 13 ours is the 14th and yours is the 20th we should have some good info to bounce off each other.

CP