ACN Latitudes Forums

Geodon

I am just wondering if anyone has used this medication for their PANDAS kiddo. Thanks!

We tried Geodon twice but it didn't help. We found that Risperdal worked better than any of the other psychiatric meds. My daughter was on it for 10 years -- all she needed was a low dose (.5 mg 2x daily). It helped a lot with mood dysregulation, sensory issues, and rages; minimally with tics and not at all with anxiety and OCD. She was able to go off it recently after her 7th month of IVIG infusions and, so far so good. But every child is different and what works for one may not necessarily work for another.

Nancy

I havent been on n a while I think its beccause im feeling guilty I started Danny on Risperdal I had to things were realy bad For the 1st 5 days he was amazing unbelievable hardly any tics and he was sooooo on Now its a week and 2 days and things arent as good better than before but still not like the first 5 days any one know why? I miss everyone I didnt think I could ask about psy meds but since someone opened the door .....

I havent been on n a while I think its beccause im feeling guilty I started Danny on Risperdal I had to things were realy bad For the 1st 5 days he was amazing unbelievable hardly any tics and he was sooooo on Now its a week and 2 days and things arent as good better than before but still not like the first 5 days any one know why? I miss everyone I didnt think I could ask about psy meds but since someone opened the door .....

Oh, Melanie, don't feel bad. You're faced with some really tough decisions that most parents never even have to think about, and you're doing all you can to help your child. I can tell you that my daughter was miserable, miserable for a long time before i decided to try risperdal for her and it seemed to be helping at 1st, too. I think that's because it helped her sleep! But a few months down the road, it made her worse. I know it has worked well for some, i had to give it a shot. My theory for why it seems to not work as good (sometimes) after awhile is either 1) it blocks cholinergic transmission or 2) the PANDAS is acting up again... I'm still trying to find something to help her. Her anxiety is so out of control, all the time, supplements and diets helped only minimally (very glad I tried them, though and really happy for people who get good results there), so i just decided I would very carefully, slowly give pharmacology a chance. We have found only minimal help so far with pharmacology, too.

Anyway, wanted you to know you don't have to be ashamed of trying your best to help your son.

Oh, Melanie, don't feel bad. You're faced with some really tough decisions that most parents never even have to think about, and you're doing all you can to help your child. I can tell you that my daughter was miserable, miserable for a long time before i decided to try risperdal for her and it seemed to be helping at 1st, too. I think that's because it helped her sleep! But a few months down the road, it made her worse. I know it has worked well for some, i had to give it a shot. My theory for why it seems to not work as good (sometimes) after awhile is either 1) it blocks cholinergic transmission or 2) the PANDAS is acting up again... I'm still trying to find something to help her. Her anxiety is so out of control, all the time, supplements and diets helped only minimally (very glad I tried them, though and really happy for people who get good results there), so i just decided I would very carefully, slowly give pharmacology a chance. We have found only minimal help so far with pharmacology, too.

Anyway, wanted you to know you don't have to be ashamed of trying your best to help your son.

Melanie,

There is nothing to feel guilty about. Although psychiatric meds should not be your first course of action, sometimes you need them while you are trying other methods (e.g., nutrition, supplementation, detoxification, etc.). We tried everything for so many years (my daughter has been on the DAN protocol for over 10 years) and if it weren't for Risperdal and penicillin I don't know if either of us would be alive today to tell the tale. Her PANDAS caused very very violent rages. We lived with her rages for years. Many days we could not leave the house. I cannot begin to tell you how many doors and walls have been damaged! As much as I wish we had been able to diagnose the PANDAS years ago, I am still grateful for the help that the Risperdal gave us.

Nancy

Thanks His day was just ok today is risperdal better than geodon or is geodon better than risperdal another issue is he cant take the azith because it cant be taken with risperadal so now what

Thanks His day was just ok today is risperdal better than geodon or is geodon better than risperdal another issue is he cant take the azith because it cant be taken with risperadal so now what

Every child is different so it's hard to say what will work better for your son. If you ask most psychiatrists I think they will tell you they find Risperdal to be more effective than Geodon (generally speaking). But you have to try it to see what works for you. Any time things got worse for us it was usually due to one of four reasons: (1) my daughter was about to come down with a cold or sinus infection, which meant her strep anti-bodies were elevated; (2) Risperdal was losing its effectiveness (this happened frequently over the years and I had to take her off it slowly for 2-3 miserable weeks, then put her back on it very slowly); (3) she ingested cross-contaminated food (e.g., gluten, casein, soy, additive, dye, etc.) that aggravated her gut, which in turn resulted in behavioral problems; (4) the antibiotic she was taking created a yeast overgrowth in her gut, which also resulted in behavioral problems. In addition to this, environmental factors could aggravate her. It's all so complex!

I don't understand, why can't risperdal be taken with zith?

I don't understand that either. Although zith didn't help my daughter the way Pen VK did she was able to take it with Risperdal.

I don't understand that either. Although zith didn't help my daughter the way Pen VK did she was able to take it with Risperdal.

Hey he does have a cold ah huh!! And the zith has a iteraction QT something heart related So I was told is this true???

Hey he does have a cold ah huh!! And the zith has a iteraction QT something heart related So I was told is this true???

The cold may be your answer! I have found my daughter's symptoms to elevate ~ one week prior to getting a cold, sinus infection, or being exposed to strep. I had not heard that about the zith. Try calling your local pharmacist and see what s/he says.

The cold may be your answer! I have found my daughter's symptoms to elevate ~ one week prior to getting a cold, sinus infection, or being exposed to strep. I had not heard that about the zith. Try calling your local pharmacist and see what s/he says.

So do you think thats why the Risperadal isnt working as well

I have found that the Risperdal only goes so far and any regression in behavior is due to elevation in strep antibodies. Once she is over the cold things get better. When my daughter gets a cold or allergies I give her high doses of Transfer Factor and Querciplex (quercetin) and that really shortens the lifecycle of the cold. Don't use any tylenol as it depletes the glutathione levels; instead use motrin for a fever.

I wanted to jump in here and tell you don't feel bad for using medication. We are at a point with the behaviors looking so Aspergers and the meltdowns getting so severe that we have had to use meds to tolerate him. He gets so angry and destructive if he doesn't get his way or his compulsions met. His anxiety and tics seem eleveated. My son is on Abilify and Celexa but it does stop working from time to time and we have to bump it up. Last week getting out of school and kids getting sick from the flu really affected him. He was major obsessive and tantrums and meltdowns right and left. We couldn't even get him in the car to go to appointments. The psych said to up the Abilify 2.5 per day and it helped. He is calming back down again. Transistions are hard for these guys. Do you see Aspergers in your child also? We are doing social camp for the month, twice a week and OT once a week all summer. Routines should help.

We have to do what helps and when they can't go along with things because of behaviors then we have no choice but to medicate. We tried everything herbal before and holistic and the diet and none of them helped. We are supposed to see Latimer next month for steroids or IVIG and I hope this worksand we can wean down off the meds soon after that.

Michele

I have found that the Risperdal only goes so far and any regression in behavior is due to elevation in strep antibodies. Once she is over the cold things get better. When my daughter gets a cold or allergies I give her high doses of Transfer Factor and Querciplex (quercetin) and that really shortens the lifecycle of the cold. Don't use any tylenol as it depletes the glutathione levels; instead use motrin for a fever.

Dr doesnt want to up the risperdal hes on .5 2xper day also he takes topamax and buspar today wasnt as good as yesterday I just want good days I have to change chool for the summer I know this is going to be a nightmare Danny is 15 and he does have Aspergers has been dxed since 3 yrs old Does anyone know if zith really causes any problems?