ACN Latitudes Forums

New here and stomach tic question

I’m new here, I live in Australia and my husband was diagnosed with ADD and Tourette Syndrome as an adult unfortunately as he suffered his whole life.

So when our daughter was recognizably so similar to my husband in so many ways, physically and personality wise, we started to suspect that we might end up at this point.

Our daughter is now ten years old. I home school her because of learning difficulties she has, she has been diagnosed with ADD and she has a few motor and vocal tics. I was told initially by our paediatrician that the tics are normal childhood issues or they could be part of the ADD but she’s had them for four years now, although they have waxed and waned in that time, and my husband and I are now sure that it is Tourette Syndrome and will set about for a diagnosis soon. Although it could be hard as dd will sit perfectly still sometimes in Dr’s appt. (apart from touching everything), hopefully diagnosis won’t be a drama.

DD’s tics so far have been or currently are sniffing, blinking, snorting, finger touching one, stretching her head out forward and there is a combination one where her hands tensen, then her arms tensen and then her neck and head stretch out forward.

My main reason for posting though is to ask about stomach tics. DD has this one where she pushes her tummy out really far and then pulls it in really far. It looks awful, like it might harm her insides or something and we are a bit worried about it. It’s the main one that bothers her too.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also touching everything in supermarket isles? Anyone experiencing this too?

Thanks

Zoe

Hello,

I have had the stomach tic that you described for the past 30 years. I am going to have it checked out August 3. I will post with any positive results. It is also the most bothersome tic I have. The others are very minor.

Hello,

Yes....my son Daniel has absolutely had this stomach tic and it is the one that really starts bothering him the most. It happens a lot, when he tics are going, after he has been riding in a vehicle. The doctor explained to me, which I cannot remember the answer now, but why his tics get going more in a vehicle while moving. A lot of times Daniel will start crying in a vehicle because of his stomach pushing in and out and starting to feel sick because of it.

Anyhow your daughter is certainly not alone. God bless you and I pray you find the answers you are seeking because there are answers. I strongly recommend the "Tics and Tourettes" book by Shelia Rogers. It gave me a lot of hope.

Carolyn

• 1 month later...

I´ve had the stomach tic for at lest 15 years(I´m 36). I´m less bothered with it now than I used to be when I was younger. Also they are much less frequent and intense now. They haven´t harmed me as far as i know. I also saw a doctor a few years ago who said it shouldn´t be harmful.

Miek

Thank you for your responses. I have been busy researching and reading up trying to figure things out. It's wonderful to here that my daughter is not alone and I actually told her of the responses and she just got a huge smile on her face and said "really? I'm not the only one?" So please know that just sharing your stories with me has helped my daughter.

Her tics are rotational as are all tourette tics and at the moment the stomach one has lessened whilst others have flared.

Unfortunately she is now rubbing both elbows back and forth across the side of her body and this IS hurting her! And so the cycle continues!

I have ordered the t.s PLUS CONTROL and the other one that goes with the CONTROL from Bontech and am waiting impatiently. Hopefully these may help a little.

I have Emelia on no Salicylates, Amines, Gluten, Yeast, Dairy, Preservatives, MSG. It's actually a miracle that we eat anything some days!

I'm reading now about Phenol Sensitivities and am interested in this because a few years ago I tried a product called Phenol Assist and DD was eating Banana and Tomato with none of the severe side effects she would normally get. However I got scared off by some contradictory information and stopped using it. Anyway, it seems to be popping back up more and more in my research so I may give that a try soon too. One thing at a time though.

Thanks for your insight -- It's good to know her symptoms fit T.S instead of being another thing all together.

Zoe

Thank you for your responses. I have been busy researching and reading up trying to figure things out. It's wonderful to here that my daughter is not alone and I actually told her of the responses and she just got a huge smile on her face and said "really? I'm not the only one?" So please know that just sharing your stories with me has helped my daughter.

Her tics are rotational as are all tourette tics and at the moment the stomach one has lessened whilst others have flared.

Unfortunately she is now rubbing both elbows back and forth across the side of her body and this IS hurting her! And so the cycle continues!

I have ordered the t.s PLUS CONTROL and the other one that goes with the CONTROL from Bontech and am waiting impatiently. Hopefully these may help a little.

I have Emelia on no Salicylates, Amines, Gluten, Yeast, Dairy, Preservatives, MSG. It's actually a miracle that we eat anything some days!

I'm reading now about Phenol Sensitivities and am interested in this because a few years ago I tried a product called Phenol Assist and DD was eating Banana and Tomato with none of the severe side effects she would normally get. However I got scared off by some contradictory information and stopped using it. Anyway, it seems to be popping back up more and more in my research so I may give that a try soon too. One thing at a time though.

Thanks for your insight -- It's good to know her symptoms fit T.S instead of being another thing all together.

Zoe

Zoe,

I wish i had insight for you, but I too have been wondering about the phenol sensitivities. I have a question about your dietary changes though.......what made you decide to cut out those foods? was your decision based on a food sensitivity or allergy test? Or were you really taking notice of her reactions to those foods and tried elimination and then saw positive results? That does seem like it would be VERY hard to follow. I wish you the best of success with all you try.