ACN Latitudes Forums

Vocal tics

My 12 year old son has started having more vocal tics. Diet and magnesium taurate used to control it. He receives 125 mg. of magnesium taruate in the morning and 125 mg. at night. He also gets 2,000 mg of Flax Seed Oil a day, 1.000 mg. of Ester C, and 1,000 mg of Calcium 500+D. Could anyone tell me if these are the right amounts for a 90 lb. boy? Maybe they are way too low, or too high on some. Maybe its time to start upping things because I think he's getting close to starting puberty? I've noticed he's starting to get bodily changes, including some blackheads and a couple of pimples, etc. Chemar, I know you've been through puberty with your son, so I'm hoping you can weigh in on some changes I might be looking at making. I appreciate any and all help.

I posted on another thread in regards to allergies. It seems reading through multiple old posts that tics (motor and vocal)

seem to increase in May, June, July months....

Just curious if you have ever had any allergy testing? Or used something for allergies...or noticed an increase in tics as well in the months I mentioned?

Thanks

Bradley pretty much tested negative to allergies, food and enviromental. He has some food sensitivities that we've been avoiding for a few years. We did the blood test, I forget the name of it, where his blood is put into reservoirs with various foods to see if it has a reaction. My husband just told me it's "Immuno Labs" His tics pretty much change over time, he'll have one or two for a while, then maybe go to something else. He's not had anything considered major, but I worry with him getting older and starting puberty, if things esculate. If anyone knows what would be good to give a 90 lb. boy for vocal tics, please let me know. I would like to talk to people especially, who have older children, and kids entering puberty. What they gave their kids and how well it worked. Also, how did you keep your teen calm through these tumultuous years.

Hi

waxing and puberty seem to go together with TS...it's probably the steroidal hormones

seems he is getting waaay more calcium than magnesium and magnesium is what is believed to predominantly help with TS tics. Perhaps adding another source of magnesium....my son likes his natural calm in the evenings.

We were always told 2:1 cal:mag but I know some docs recommend a closer matched ratio. my son doesnt take extra calcium beyond what he gets from his Jarrow multi-easy shake and diet. he doesnt have dairy allergy so mixes shake with milk and eats a fair amount of cheese

L carnitine is usually suggested when vocal tics are waxing...it helped my son a lot initially. as he got older he said it made him feel weird so he didnt take it again. but it sure helped control a screaming tic he had when younger and we sure appreciated that!! :)

we get our Natural Calm from iherb.com or from our local The Vitamin Shoppe. I order most of our supplements at iherb as prices lowest even including shipping

my son was over 100 lb and took 500mg L carnitine a day, with his magnesium and taurine. the magnesium taurate you are giving is a good "staple" for tics (provided no taurine sensitivity) so good to continue with that

Kalik,

if you feel the mag taurate has been beneficial for him in the past, I don't see any harm in doubling that dose. how much did he weight when you started the mag taurate? I agree with Chemar that the calcium should not be so much more higher than the mag because they say that too much calcium depletes magnesium. Again, upping the mag taurate should not be a problem if he has tolerated it so far. 125 Mg. is not alot at all for a 90 lb. boy. My son is 50 lbs. and has been less than that for last couple years, we use the natural calm and he probably gets about 200 or 300 mgs. each day. You could look on the site for Natural Calm, I think it explains something about the calcium/mag ratio.

Also, if you decide to try the carnitine, be on the lookout there as a couple of us have not had good times with aminos. I felt my son increased with just trying for one or two days. could have been coincidence, but just my experience, and this seems to be the case for us with aminos. don't have a clue why tho.

Faith

the problem with increasing dose on mag taurate is that doesnt just up the needed magnesium but also ups the taurine, which is also an amino acid

IMHO better to just increase the magnesium with natural calm or another pure source

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered Kids Calm, to help my son at night. It's a orange flavored drink I believe. Cheri is this what you give your son? Or is it a tablet? Also, as far as the L-Carnitine, I bought a bottle called Carnipure L-Carnitine from the Vitamin Shop. On the back it says, L-Carnitine, (as L-Carnitine L-Tartrate). Is this the right stuff Cheri you were talking about you used to give your son? Starting at 250 milligrams a day, at first. Also, would it be better to give him magnesium and taurine seperately, the way you do it, instead of giving magnesium taurate? I forget what you said the taurine was for. I'll look it up when I get through. We've been doing this for four years, and sometimes I feel like I know as little now as I knew back then. Any suggestions for a boy on the edge of puberty. He has some anger issues too, says he wants to kill people who make him really upset. Maybe this is normal. Some adult got in his face and was cussing him. He was very upset. Took a knife and stabbed the couch. My husband said he used to hit walls and things when he got angry growing up. I want him to be able to control himself. Does anyone give Kids Calm throughout the day? Thank you every one.

Kallik,

i was giving my 6 yo dd the kids calm in her lunch at school. I'd mix it up in the am with juicy juice and send it to school in her lunch box. It didnt' seem to make her sleepy or anything. I found she drank more of it at lunchtime than she would at bedtime. Since your son is 12, you may want to consider the Natural Calm.....just has more mag per dose. I think the kids calm is ok to use for now, but if you do go to reorder it you may want to keep that in mind.

Best wishes!!