ACN Latitudes Forums

April, May, June

I have read over and over through a MILLION of old posts and it seems to me that people report mostly an increase in tics during the April, May and June time (it seems these months were mentioned most)

I would guess this to be allergy induced tics.

I question this because coming off from Topamax now and having the tics come back really bad could give me a good place to start in finding her true triggers (if any) (aside from MSG anyhow)

Also thinking back to last year and going over some notes I had taken....it was Mothers Day weekend when it got SO BAD we resorted to Topamax.

The only thing we never did was the allergy testing. This could be a good place for us to start??

The docs ordered x-rays for her constant nasal congestion during these months.....but nothing was swollen and it was left at that.

(aside from script for Nasonex) we stopped using that though.....

What do you all think? Are these 3 months (or somewhere inbetween them) the worst for tics when it comes to your children?

Lastly, what is the best way to go about the allergy testing?

Without getting too detailed or analytical, I think I can say that my son's tics seem to increase somewhere around this time frame too, altho its not the only time. I can't say my son's tics "cease" at any time, but I definitely know when they are "kicking up".

So, if I had to say, I feel like he starts neck and head tics toward the end of the school year, around May, which is happening right now. Summer seems vocals wane . Then it seems I have a problem with more vocals around September, but it kind of goes to about Christmastime, then gets better, and then starts again in April/May. I don't know if it IS pollen for sure, we have had allergy testing a couple years ago thru DAN doctor who is also an allergist, but I don't think pollen came up, just ragweed and some trees, but not at a hight level. I will be testing this thru NAET soon, so I'll be interested to see what happens there.

Some of this is hard to gauge, because of other interventions, so you never know what is really helping/hindering, but in a nutshell, I can definitely say he usually starts some kind of neck thing around May, and the vocals did kick up this past April, which seem to be calming about now.

Faith

hi. i haven't been on for a while, but yes, my son's tics have increased significantly over the last few weeks! this has been a pattern for the last few years and was also wondering if it could be allergy related. he does not have any typical allergy symptoms, though.

julie[

quote name=myrose' date='May 31 2009, 12:03 PM' post='33588]

I have read over and over through a MILLION of old posts and it seems to me that people report mostly an increase in tics during the April, May and June time (it seems these months were mentioned most)

I would guess this to be allergy induced tics.

I question this because coming off from Topamax now and having the tics come back really bad could give me a good place to start in finding her true triggers (if any) (aside from MSG anyhow)

Also thinking back to last year and going over some notes I had taken....it was Mothers Day weekend when it got SO BAD we resorted to Topamax.

The only thing we never did was the allergy testing. This could be a good place for us to start??

The docs ordered x-rays for her constant nasal congestion during these months.....but nothing was swollen and it was left at that.

(aside from script for Nasonex) we stopped using that though.....

What do you all think? Are these 3 months (or somewhere inbetween them) the worst for tics when it comes to your children?

Lastly, what is the best way to go about the allergy testing?

If you have any suspicions about pollen allergies I would definitely recommend getting the traditional skin prick tests done. We had Sam tested when he was 5 even though he had no classic allergy symptoms at all. We did this because of what I had read about allergies being a trigger for tics and also because his Dad and brother have many allergies. We were amazed to find that he had allergies to almost every grass and tree that we tried. We wouldn't have known otherwise. He only started to show typical allergy symptoms last spring, when he was 7. It's definitely worth getting the test done.

Sue

Myrose,

Start with trying Benadryl dye free capsule and just see if that helps improve the tics. If so they are histamine related and an allergy test would be a good idea.

B5 is good for allergies, in the meantime. Check to see if it is included in your B complex.

It could also be fungal related. I especially think this after hearing Doug's talk. April, May, June could kick up due to higher mold count. Check the weather stats in your area and see if the tics wax on a day when the mold count is higher.

Caryn

Caryn,

My daughter is currently on topamax so the tics are masked. I was just researching a bit over everything again because we are stopping Topamax on Wednesday night (well coming down to 15mg from 25mg first for a week and then stopping)

I remember when it got so bad that it was in May....

In regards to Benedryl...I used it before but never during the mentioned months. Also read about a interaction with it and topamax so I stopped the use (used to use it for her nasal congestion)

Samsmom,

What did you do to treat the things you found him to have an allergy to? Did it help his tics?

We have found Claritin to be the only thing that has really helped him with his pollen allergies. I wrote more about it in the thread titled ALLERGIES. Natural treatments we tried included using sublingual desensitizing drops for a couple of years, also Quercetin, Moducare, HMC+ and various nasal sprays. None had any noticeable impact. We didn't try NAET - we had a couple of visits about that but I never could get my head around that process...