ACN Latitudes Forums

Tics and Tourettes

myrose,

Nice find. This might be a good link to refer new parents to when they asking for advice on where to begin. (sort of like a welcome drink, I mean link, :P )'

If things don't fare well for your daughter off the topomax, will you eventually go back on, or are you going to try another approach? Just curious, is there a reason why you can't continue on this longterm?

Faith

I am figuring that eventually when she gets to a certain weight the topamax might not work at such a low dose.

I just do not feel comfotable with the higher doses and well of course the side effects are not anything I want for her.

So I am trying to go back to things that maybe we did not do long enough...like eliminating corn and wheat.

The biggest for me is the allergy testing.

She had been to SO MANY doctors and poked so many times that she became frightened of them and I literally had to pull her into them at one point.

So I held off on the allergy testing when the topamax worked so well for her. I just wanted and I guess should say "needed" a break and she did as well.

My different approach I guess would be (if things stay mild) is to try things one at a time. We got overwhelmed when it hit hard and did everything too fast and all at once. I was a basketcase and that last month when things got so bad I couldn't even understand something I had read 10 minutes prior.

If all fails again and it effects her like it did and Topamax needs to be a possibility again.....I would rather do a holiday dose or at least would feel better doing that. I just don't know Faith.

Hope things are good over there....

not trying to talk you into staying on Topamax or anything but... if she gains weight and has to go to a little higher dose isn't it all relative - I mean just like any med- for instance childrens tylenol- when they gain weight you have to go to a higher dose to make it effective. It doesn't make it more potent(right word?)- because their body requires more at a heavier weight right? I would be more concerned though if at her present weight you had to keep upping the dose to keep it effective. Just wondering..

I am figuring that eventually when she gets to a certain weight the topamax might not work at such a low dose.

I just do not feel comfotable with the higher doses and well of course the side effects are not anything I want for her.

So I am trying to go back to things that maybe we did not do long enough...like eliminating corn and wheat.

The biggest for me is the allergy testing.

She had been to SO MANY doctors and poked so many times that she became frightened of them and I literally had to pull her into them at one point.

So I held off on the allergy testing when the topamax worked so well for her. I just wanted and I guess should say "needed" a break and she did as well.

My different approach I guess would be (if things stay mild) is to try things one at a time. We got overwhelmed when it hit hard and did everything too fast and all at once. I was a basketcase and that last month when things got so bad I couldn't even understand something I had read 10 minutes prior.

If all fails again and it effects her like it did and Topamax needs to be a possibility again.....I would rather do a holiday dose or at least would feel better doing that. I just don't know Faith.

Hope things are good over there....

How much Topamax? funny because I read your post and I know I asked you this before but Im so overwhelmed I cant remember what you said How much does she weigh ?Danny weighs about 130

Melanie

How much Topamax? funny because I read your post and I know I asked you this before but Im so overwhelmed I cant remember what you said How much does she weigh ?Danny weighs about 130

Melanie

We use topamax too and our son is 70 lbs and taking 50 mg....hope not to have to change that... he is 11 years old. Just curious the amounts people are using with age and weight and dosage...that might make an interesting Poll. Our doctor assures me this is a safe dose for his age and weight...hope he is right!!

Mary

Melanie

We use topamax too and our son is 70 lbs and taking 50 mg....hope not to have to change that... he is 11 years old. Just curious the amounts people are using with age and weight and dosage...that might make an interesting Poll. Our doctor assures me this is a safe dose for his age and weight...hope he is right!!

Mary

I afraid to ask about meds sometimes but ok lets ask

Melanie

My daughter started at 15mg, moved up to 25mg and have stayed there for just about a year now.

She is now 48 pounds and will be 7 in September. She started on the topamax around 40-43 pounds (can't remember without going to look at my notes)

We will be on 15 mg starting Wednesday night and this will be for 5 days and then stopping completely.