ACN Latitudes Forums

Glc Nac reacts Keratin/cytokeratin

http://www.jimmunol.org/cgi/content/abstract/152/9/4375

Immunological mimicry between N-acetyl-beta-D-glucosamine and cytokeratin peptides. Evidence for a microbially driven anti-keratin antibody response

So this almost has to be a factor in our household. Wondering if it qualifies as a subset of PANDAS and how it would work.

The "O linked GlacNac" is a term I've run into researching another (related?) condition. If we have a problem with strep related autoimmunity or abnormal glycan recognition ( i say we, meaning kids AND myself, which i never would have known about without my new year's surprise of the horrid rash, blurry vision, hot flashy, total exhaustion.... RASH in relationship to infected psoriatic elbow). So Cunningham has identified antibodies related to strep and human skin. I can see how that relates to myself, but have a lot of work to do in relationship to kids. Leaky barriers (intestinal and others) relationship to how this might result in tics (antibodies not attacking brain tissue, or are they and can "Cam" be upregulated by this sort of attack also?) kids don't have classic PANDAS symptoms, yet pretty darn close in some ways (or i should say "used to have" more so than now).

Have to mention, after my full body outbreak the psoriasis that I have had on my elbow for some 20+ years is GONE. Now, Leckmans T reg theory (which i'm not anywhere near familiar enough with) is starting to become very interesting.

I'm wondering how many member's that we have that have children (or close family members) with skin conditions? I know i have read of a few with excema and maybe 1 with scalp psoriasis related to strep infection?

So frustrating to read of the wonderful progress and shared info on the research threads regarding PANDAS, yet being in a "separate boat."

• 1 month later...

Still looking for answeres on this subject. I found a link on gram positive pathogens at http://books.google.com/books?id=DUX1G0ddW...lt&resnum=3

There is a chapter there by Cunningham (7 cross reactive antigens of group A streptoccoci page 75 first paragraph right hand side) that mentions strep cross reactive Mabs may be important in the manifestation of Erythema marginatum.

Erythema marginatum

http://everything2.com/title/Erythema%2520marginatum

A characteristic rash, part (but not exclusive) of the many symptoms of rheumatic fever

Erythema marginatum (also known as rheumatic erythema) is a painless round to oval raised erythema mostly found in children with a pale centre and a sharp border, blanching on pressure. It is most prominent on the trunk and the inner aspects of thighs and arms (but never on the face), where dozens of them can appear up to a size of 2-3 centimetre in diameter in minutes.

The rash is associated with an earlier streptococcal infection and, apart from rheumatic fever, can be found in patients with glomerolunephritis (an inflammatory disease of the kidneys), sepsis and allergic drug reactions. Treatment is symptomatic and by identifying and treating the underlying cause .

Has anyone seen anything that looks like this? I know someone has talked about ringworm, but I don't remember if it was here or the TS forum or the Psoriasis forum, but (to me) ring worm and this condition look much the same. Seems they could be easy to confuse

GOOGLE IMAGE Erythema Marginatum

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...mp;aq=f&oq=

GOOGLE IMAGE RING WORM

http://images.google.com/images?hl=EN&...mp;aq=f&oq=

I'm wondering how many member's that we have that have children (or close family members) with skin conditions? I know i have read of a few with excema and maybe 1 with scalp psoriasis related to strep infection?

Hi, I haven't wrapped my brain around all this but wanted to say that my dd7 had very bad eczema around the time of her very bad episode in January. Before that she had horrible skin issues that cleared up after she went gluten free. I was surprised when she got eczema so badly and it makes more sense to think maybe it was related to her V. Strep.

Susan

• 3 years later...

I know this is very old... I just found it searching the site for ring worm to see if any one has dealt with it. I think my ds has it... Just started treating with lotrimin but then I saw this post which got me thinking. My son is having a flare (his presents most obvious at bedtime with sleep issues) and I'm trying to figure out if it could be from what I think is ring worm. I'm thinking its ringworm and not what's in the above post since its one spot and not changing? Sounds like the other changes and is not just one spot? He last had known strep in November.

I know this is very old... I just found it searching the site for ring worm to see if any one has dealt with it. I think my ds has it... Just started treating with lotrimin but then I saw this post which got me thinking. My son is having a flare (his presents most obvious at bedtime with sleep issues) and I'm trying to figure out if it could be from what I think is ring worm. I'm thinking its ringworm and not what's in the above post since its one spot and not changing? Sounds like the other changes and is not just one spot? He last had known strep in November.

I am wondering if a doc has seen your son for the ringworm dx. I am asking because when DS15 was 10 he had something on his torso that I described to the doctors office over the phone and they told me it must be ringworm as we had just come back from vacation and he had spent some time in the public pool "spa" (Obviously - we had no clue about immune deficiency or PANS then!). Anyway, the rash was round and on his trunk. We treated with lotrimin and it went away, so I assumed ringworm. As I look back over bloodwork, it was around that time that he started having more flares and shortly after that started showing low antibodies and positive titers for mycop. In retrospect I wonder if he wasn't bitten by something at that time. We now know that he has bartonella and has had it for a long time. Anyway - my point is that I wish I had brought him in to have the rash looked at and (at least) I wish I would have taken pictures of the rash so I could look back and show it to experts today.

No, my son first noticed it on Thursday night and we got slammed with snow on Friday so I didn't get to the dr yet. He might have had it and not noticed it for a day or so prior he said. Its on his thigh. I started using lotrimin yesterday because what I read sounded like it couldn't hurt to try. I think I will take him tomorrow morning to have it checked. I do have pictures of it that I took Thursday and today. It hasn't changed, looks the same. I know it's possible but I'd be surprised if this is a bite of any kind. We are in a high deer tick area but don't think this is that.

However I completely just remembered my younger son a few years ago having what I would have bet was ringworm on his trunk a few years ago.. One round spot that looked just like the pictures. The ped had 2 other doctors in the office look at it.. All said it was not ring worm... They had me in a panic because he drew blood... WBC was off and I was very worried... They had me come back and recheck count... In the end they said the circular rash was just a strange reaction to a virus he must have had. Strange now that I'm seeing the same thing on my other son who is having some flare ups of pandas symptoms. Ok, definitely going to have it checked... I hope they do a finger prick on him because now I'm curious on if it would show he has an infection.

Edited by ajcire

Pictures are the best thing... sometimes we don't really understand something until we view it in hindsight. Keep us posted! Good luck!

Thanks kim, I am very curious to see what the dr. say sit is.. I was going to post a pic here but I don't know if it's possible or how to.

Edited by ajcire