ACN Latitudes Forums

Help

This may sound to some of you like a weird off the wall question but be patient with me......I have to ask.

Strep throat is considered a bacteria infection...correct???

Could it or would it also be labeled or somehow seen as a virus???

Thanks

I will explain why I asked this if the answer is yes....if not than just forget I even asked the question.

This may sound to some of you like a weird off the wall question but be patient with me......I have to ask.

Strep throat is considered a bacteria infection...correct???

Could it or would it also be labeled or somehow seen as a virus???

Thanks

I will explain why I asked this if the answer is yes....if not than just forget I even asked the question.

Yes, I've only heard of it as bacteria which is why you always need an antibiotic and can't just wait and see if it goes away......

Susan

Myrose,

Just quickly wanted to mention that I recently read that strep is many times preceded by a virus. I will try to find the article ( lots of details regarding strep bacteria itself) if you think it would be helpful to you in anyway.

Well I guess that answers the question. The only reason I asked is because her titers were low but her blood analysis we did with Dr. Franz (her old pediatrician) showed a virus.

I guess you can see where I was trying to go. Thought I had maybe and possibly a fighting tool with the doctors that would maybe sway them to look into the whole Pandas thing.

Anyhow I did go to Walgreens today (care clinic). I got a throat swab...rapid was negative. She also feels that my sore throat was a result of all the brush fires that were a little too close to us. My eyes still somewhat burn!

My daughter was refusing the swab and they wanted to actually hold her down but this was going to cause severe stress and I just could not do it. I tried everything from bribery to a trip to the store to buy whatever she wanted LOL

Some of you may feel I am weak but the first time we ever did a swab was awful ! The guy was just not kid friendly at all. This ruined my daughters trust. Same thing with the blood....they poked her almost 6 times before they got in on her first bloodwork!

The nurse practioner ended up being able to stick the swab in but not for long and not quite good enough. We tested it anyhow and it came back negative. She then looked at her throat and stated that it looked red and being that I pay out of pocket she said there would be no need to do the culture and just prescribed the azithromax. Her stuffed nose also warranted the antibiotic- she feels she may have a sinus infection going on after she looked in her nose and ears.

Either way she said the antibiotic would cover it all. She gave me 3 tabs, I think they are 250mg and she is to take one per day.

I guess I am glad I went in, her nasal congestion has really been hanging around. Mabe she will get some relief.

I grabbed the probiotics from the back of the fridge when we returned home. I will give them in the morning being that she takes the antibiotic after school. Is this good?

I will continue to read and plan my next move as these last few weeks pass by.

Thanks again for all your advice everyone

PS) I forgot who stated that a strep infection would not clear on its own.....I wanted to tell them it does but takes longer without antibiotics. My doctor confirmed this. (Of course I am just speaking of a normal healthy adult situation)

myrose,

my son came down w/strep about 3 weeks ago. he was on amox. for 10 days. 6 days after he finished his antibiotic, his strep symptoms came back, low grade fever, cold sweat, dizzy, nausea, headache, neck pain and eyepain. i thought he had a relaspe, so i told him in for a rapid strep test and it was neg. today we got the culture result and also negative.

i am wondering if you can have strep w/both rapid & culture tested negative?

my son's pediatrician said if he is not better by this wed., i will need to take him in for a blood test for mono.

In the meantime, i am giving him probiotic, elderberry extract for antivirus and grapefruit seed extract for antibacteria.

i have found elderberry extract pretty effective for our family. it shorten the duration of the illness and stops it in its track from progressing. also, it is good for allergies.

Pat

Pat,

Yes, you can get a negative throat culture and most definitely still have strep somewhere in the body. I have seen it many times with my children. Strep can be in the gut, the adenoids, sinuses, perianal area. If your child improved on Amoxicillin and then the symptoms reappeared once the course was done, I would be highly suspicious of strep, regardless of a negative culture. When my duaghter began her PANDAS journey at age 5, she would show signs and symptoms of strep within days of completeing Amoxicillin. Eventually when her tonsils and adenoids were removed, we realized they were both harboring strep that the Amoxicillin was not erradicationg fully, so once she was off the Amox, the strep immediately recolonized. I really feel like this may be going on in a lot of children with PANDAS. It may not be a bad idea to check for mono b/c it is much easier for a PANDAS child to get mono as their immune systems are already so copromised.

Colleen