ACN Latitudes Forums

A poll about the supplements your using for children?

I was wondering if you all would like to list the supplements you are currently giving for tics/anxiety/OCD/allergies, etc and if you can say which ones you KNOW work and for what? I know that things change and we change our protocols but I'm just curious.

I've come to realize that diet doesn't have much effect on ds' issues. I've alllowed all kinds of junk food only to see him go through a waning period....go figure. And, then I've gone totallly healthy and forbid all offending foods, etc and I don't see any change in his tics either good or bad, so I just feel at a loss. The only things that I see that definitely trigger him are teeth issues and stress. After a year and a half, that's all I can come up with. I'm 'guessing' that allergies play a part but the tic increases just don't seem to coincide with his allergies. I do know that we've never had a tic free day since they started. He ALWAYS has an eye winking tic and then the others just come and go. It's truly infuriating and right now I'm just grateful that they've been mild. His OCD/anxiety seems under control with supplements and now I'd like to focus on getting the tics under control.

So, if you all would be so kind as to list what you're currently using, I'd be ever so grateful. Also, you may want to state the age and gender of the child, too. Maybe by seeing a list of supplements we(those who feel something is missing) might be able to piece something together and then can discuss it with the child's doctor/naturopath. If you'd like to link to a post you have previously posted, that would work too!

thanks

Bonnie

edited to add: Yes, I used the wrong tense of you're in the title. That kind of stuff drives me crazy when my kid does it, hehe!

Hi.

I'm also not sure that diet has a big influence over my son's tics. Same as you, eating junk doesn't necessarilly bring them on or increase them, and taking it away doesn't bring about a change.

My son is 9 and since January this year he has been on:

1 Vitamin B complex {morning}

4 times a day he has half a magnesium {Schuessler Tissue Salts}... breakfast, morning tea, after school and before bed. The half tablet can be increased to 1 whole tablet for up to 6 doses in a row if ticcing is increased.

4 times a day 1 whole tablet {times same as above} he has {Schuessler Tissue salts} Kidz Be Calm... used just as a calming thing. This dose can be increased to a whole tablet every half hour for up to 2 days or until symptoms eased. Though I've never increased it yet.

My son is normally only mild, but in January he had a big increase and I was considering meds for him. Dr said for me to try the Vit B combo and keep up with the mag I was using, and to find some calming tablet. Within 2 days of starting this combination his tics were back to normal {hardly anything} and they have stayed that way for 4 months now.

I'm not sure if it is the combination of supps he's on, and I may never know. I just know things went so well after I started them that I'm not going to change. Even times when I think they will increase {stress, excitement} it's nothing like it used to be.

To be honest you'd never pick he has TS now. Although when he's playing soccer he still has a few, but they stop as soon as the game ends.

All I can say is I'm happy with the way things are now. He was diagnosed in April last year and this has been the best he's been. Most days I don't see anything much at all.

Hope this helps.

Lyn.

Hi,

I have a male 8 year old. His tics disappeared in late March after a month of weekly cupping, one accupuncture treatment and an antibiotic for a bad bug bite on his hand. We stopped all supplements at that time b/c I wanted to see if the supplements REALLY made a difference. He was sniffling last week and sneezing and we saw him tic a few times but not bad......the physciatrist said it could be allergies, but had no answers ! No more tics this week.

GABA, Acetyl L Carnitine, and NAC were the supplements that helped with the eye tics. Low salycilate foods were very important b/c when he had a lot of fruit he got a head jerk tic. I gave him calcium citrate, Ester C, and Mag Taurate also, but found the first three listed here the best for decreasing tics.

This is SO HARD and I am SO THANKFUL to this forum for all of the things that I came up with to help my son! I used your posts to find my right recipe!!!

Hi,

I have a male 8 year old. His tics disappeared in late March after a month of weekly cupping, one accupuncture treatment and an antibiotic for a bad bug bite on his hand. We stopped all supplements at that time b/c I wanted to see if the supplements REALLY made a difference. He was sniffling last week and sneezing and we saw him tic a few times but not bad......the physciatrist said it could be allergies, but had no answers ! No more tics this week.

GABA, Acetyl L Carnitine, and NAC were the supplements that helped with the eye tics. Low salycilate foods were very important b/c when he had a lot of fruit he got a head jerk tic. I gave him calcium citrate, Ester C, and Mag Taurate also, but found the first three listed here the best for decreasing tics.

This is SO HARD and I am SO THANKFUL to this forum for all of the things that I came up with to help my son! I used your posts to find my right recipe!!!

Isn't it weird how the NAC helped you guys but Faith had issues with it recently? Crazy!

• 1 month later...

hi all,

I'm bumping this up for more responses. I am interested to know what supplements you have felt have given the best results, and please name specifically with what symptoms. I am particularly interested in those that have felt vitamin b's or b-complex have been helpful. thanks.

We are completely symptom free for almost 10 months now. Ds age 6 1/2 (47 lbs) gets occasional teeth grinding but that is it.

We have a low stress house and practice gentle discipline. He is happy and well adjusted at school.

I switched to Country Life Basic B capsules and give him about 1/3 of a capsule a day (sometimes miss). With his allergies this seems to be the best fit. Has more B12 and B5 than most. Isn't too high overall in doses.

We do magnesium at night with melatonin. He is sleeping great.

We do fish oil daily (also supposed to help with allergies).

We do vit C, vit E, in winter vit D.

We also have been doing NAC for about 2 1/2 mos and during that time have ate at restaurants and have tried ds with foods that were at one time forbidden and he is still doing great. This is a major improvement for us. We did an OAT test that showed low glutathionine and learned that it is associated with Pyroluria, which our son is dxd with.

We no longer seem to need the benadryl I don't know if it is a seasonal thing, if it has to do with having gut out our moldy basement, or the NAC. Last winter we had flooding and had to gut out our entire basement. (Old house, some mold was there behind the drywall for a while. The previous owners had painted the concrete walls, a big no no if you want your concrete walls to breathe and not harbor mold).

After hearing Doug's talk at the conference I really think in our case the main trigger was fungal. We never did testing like we should have when he was reactive but I wonder if that wasn't a major contributor, especially since I myself have responded so well to the antifungal diet. We still avoid corn (high mold content), most grains except rice, yeast (like the plague) and many processed products in general.

I don't buy as much organic now but do wash the food with grapefruit seed extract if it is conventional.

Bonnie, get one of his books and read it. It is really eye opening. (Or look for his show, "Know the Cause", on cable T.V.) I wonder if the IgG test was instrumental because the allergies set off the tics or because the allergies also so happened to be fungal feeding foods and removing them helped balance out our son's system.

Caryn

edit: sorry, forgot-- he also takes zinc.

We are completely symptom free for almost 10 months now. Ds age 6 1/2 (47 lbs) gets occasional teeth grinding but that is it.

We have a low stress house and practice gentle discipline. He is happy and well adjusted at school.

I switched to Country Life Basic B capsules and give him about 1/3 of a capsule a day (sometimes miss). With his allergies this seems to be the best fit. Has more B12 and B5 than most. Isn't too high overall in doses.

We do magnesium at night with melatonin. He is sleeping great.

We do fish oil daily (also supposed to help with allergies).

We do vit C, vit E, in winter vit D.

We also have been doing NAC for about 2 1/2 mos and during that time have ate at restaurants and have tried ds with foods that were at one time forbidden and he is still doing great. This is a major improvement for us. We did an OAT test that showed low glutathionine and learned that it is associated with Pyroluria, which our son is dxd with.

We no longer seem to need the benadryl I don't know if it is a seasonal thing, if it has to do with having gut out our moldy basement, or the NAC. Last winter we had flooding and had to gut out our entire basement. (Old house, some mold was there behind the drywall for a while. The previous owners had painted the concrete walls, a big no no if you want your concrete walls to breathe and not harbor mold).

After hearing Doug's talk at the conference I really think in our case the main trigger was fungal. We never did testing like we should have when he was reactive but I wonder if that wasn't a major contributor, especially since I myself have responded so well to the antifungal diet. We still avoid corn (high mold content), most grains except rice, yeast (like the plague) and many processed products in general.

I don't buy as much organic now but do wash the food with grapefruit seed extract if it is conventional.

Bonnie, get one of his books and read it. It is really eye opening. (Or look for his show, "Know the Cause", on cable T.V.) I wonder if the IgG test was instrumental because the allergies set off the tics or because the allergies also so happened to be fungal feeding foods and removing them helped balance out our son's system.

Caryn

edit: sorry, forgot-- he also takes zinc.

Caryn,

Can you tell me what the mg's or doses of these supplements are? I have a son who is 9 yrs old and still haven't found the right combination of supplements.

Linda

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried the combination of Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine for tics. There was a formula called TARVIL that used to be used to treat tardive dskinesia, but it has also been used to treat tardive tourettes brought on by taking reglan (an antinausea drug). I believe that TARVIL is no longer available as a biomedical food, but the 3 amino acids can be found at most health food stores. Just wondering if it has worked for anyone.