ACN Latitudes Forums

Capsules - Gelatin

Guest Guest_efgh

Guest Guest_efgh

I have a clarification. the vitamin capsules (not tablets) in general are covered by a gelatin cover , right. Is it gelatin, the animal protein?? I am asking this because I have read somewhere that many vegetarians are unable to digest this gelatin cover used in most of the capsules since its a animal protein, and suffer from allergies because of the capsule gelatin cover. can you clarify to me on this ...

thanks.

Yes, it is regular animal gelatin. I haven't heard of people having trouble digesting it, as a regular capsule is a very small amount of gelatin--though someone with a severe allergy to it might react to it.

In some areas people can buy veggie caps and those who wish transfer the powder from one to the other. Since vegetarianism is on the rise, this is a growing practice. It's best to buy large veggie caps for that to make it easier to fill.

Gel caps with thick gelatin coatings are, however, another story. There's obviously more gelatin used. Some people cut open the gel cap and squeeze the oil out, such as from a vitamin E gel cap, putting it on bread or using some other method to take it. That may not always be too palatable, depending on what the substance is. Sheila

Guest Guest_efgh

Thanks Sheila for your input.

In such cases, wouldn't it be safer to remove the contents of the capsule and mix it with food or water and give it to our kids.. That way, no gelatin is being taken, right?

Any benefit due to the gelatin cover??

It would only be safer if allergic to gelatin or if the person can't swallow caps and might choke.

The contents of time release capsules should not be chewed (if taken out of caps); some items will require disguising the taste. Specially coated supplements or drugs are coated for a reason--check with doctor or pharmacist if not sure if a particular item should not be taken without its capsule.