ACN Latitudes Forums

Hey

Hey there, I'm new here.

I was diagnosed with ADHD - Combined in 2007. I have difficulty with it a lot. Restlessness, impulsive, distracted easily, procrastination, short fuse/thin skinned, etc.

I was trialed on Ritalin and Concerta - didn't work out, didn't wanna be on a pill to prevent me from being who I am and how I am, so I was taken off.

I deal by myself now. I go to a special needs school, it helps a bit but not as much.

ADHD is a part of me, it's not a disease, it may be a flaw, but also a gift in some ways, too.

So, yeah. Hi.

Hello sarey,

thanks for posting that. may I ask your age and if you are male or female? what did you not like about the meds? I agree, ADHD is not a disease, and sometimes I do think its a shame that kids are not let to be who they are without someone trying to "fix it". I agree, help is needed, but should not always be medications. Did you ever feel that your school pushed for or expected medication to be the protocol when you were diagnosed? was it a family choice? just curious.

thanks

Faith

I am 16, and female.

I suffer from anxiety so the meds did seemingly make that worse. I also experienced awful side effects, I am quite sensitive to medications as it is.

My previous schools did not know about the ADHD, and my school were happy and behind me with whatever treatment and help/support I choose to recieve and did not pressurize anything on me.

I was given a trial from the psychiatrist who diagnosed me with it, and suggested it could help. They also said "If the medications help, you have ADHD", which is bull, because you cannot base a diagnosis on reactions to medications. I am sensitive, recieved many side effects, and was tried on Concerta and Ritalin, so it was not a large trial exactly, therefore it is a completely inaccurate statement to say even if it were true. I did concentrate better and it made me much less restless; however, I could not handle the effects of it and the cons outweighed the pros. Medication, however, does that to many people, and there are other options available. (Stimulants can make non-ADD/ADHD people concentrate and focus, so you couldn't really base that whole "If it helps, you have ADHD/ADD" bull)

I, however, do not recieve any professional help with my ADHD. I was in CBT(Cognitive Behavior Therapy) but that didn't work out as I'd liked it to and I just decided to call it off. I go to a special needs school, which in itself, provides support and an enviornment for those who are challenged with difficulties and disorders like ADHD, amoung other disorders, so that is quite good, although the school staff can be horrible to me a lot of the time and spiteful. But I have met an amazing tutor, one in a million, very special to me, and it'll be hard when I leave in a few weeks... she said herself this year will be so hard because she's worked so closely with me and she adores me and loves me a lot and cannot think of me leaving and how she will be able to cope with it, that's how close we've gotten, and she has said I'm one of the students she's so close with.

All in all, I think I am coping, though struggling an awful lot, with ADHD. It is by far easy, it is a huge rollercoaster, what with the zoning out, the not being able to retain/remember/absorb things, the restlessness, the impulsive mind, the muddled, jumbled mind, the impatience, the short fuse, list goes on... but, we have good days, and bad days. As long as we keep trying, that's all anyone can ask.

sarey,

thank you for your reply and information. Did you just try the meds at an older age? I ask because I wonder if the younger the child is, then they probably will not feel the changes so much. I am guessing that you were used to how you normally felt, and the meds made you feel aware of any difference and it was not comfortable? I am glad that you seem to realize your struggles, yet rise above it and know that you can deal with them without meds. btw, concerta is actually the same ingredient as ritalin, correct, just a different formulation of how it is realeased, as in longer lasting? Are you a generally outgoing person without medication? did you feel the med changed your personality? and was it noticed by others, or was the school pleased with the effect?

I ask these questions because I struggle with some issues for my son, but don't think that meds are the answer for him because he does well in school, altho I must keep on top of him. I think many kids have the same type things, but if they do well in school, then that is half the battle. Did you find schoolwork got harder and the adhd more apparent because there was more and harder work as you got into the higher grades?

thanks

Faith