ACN Latitudes Forums

Exercise

Guest Frank_Sm1th

Guest Frank_Sm1th

Hi, all-

I've been learning a lot from this site, but have noticed very little mention of exercise. My older son, 9, has a touch of P.A.N.D.A.S. and ADHD. Sometimes he has mild tics. We've been keeping the P.A.N.D.A.S. in check in various natural ways. I've been wondering what effect a good daily exercise regimen might have on all this.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Chemar and I have both noticed the positive effects of exercise.

I was told that it releases seratonin--needed for impulse control.

I consider this absolutely vital for my son and the one thing my husband, my son and I all agree on. I push exercise over extra time on homework, and tell the teachers they are not to have him doing 'academic things' during lunch unless the class is required (like chess or something).

What PANDAS symptoms does your boy have? You say the tics are mild, so I assume you mean more compulsions or obsessions? I am sorry that I have forgotten if you have mentioned this.

I ask this because when my son had tics from computer, I never noticed it reducing them. I did however notice fewer 'compulsive' habits and much less fidgetiness--especially at night when he is trying to sleep. I know that it clears his head, but it isn't a 'cure' for everything.

I am fully convinced of it effectiveness for ADHD. My personal feeling is that it is a 'crime' to bench the ADHD kids during recess for disturbing the class--this makes it worse. Instead they should have them run laps after the 'offense'. One teacher I know used to do this , it was brilliant--just what the child needed.

Of course, he has always been basically ctive, so my noticings are more for the days that he doesn't exercise, e.g. rainy school days where they have indoor recess.

Claire

Hi Frank

excercise has many positive effects for all of us, and one of the benefits is that it causes the release of natural endorphins in our brains, which, for people with neurological disorders, is especially helpful.

We noticed, when my son was still in the very severe stage of his TS/OCD, that the tics would stop while he was working out and that their was a dramatic drop in the OCD for an extended period. His focus and concentration is also improved with excercise.

I must point out that we have also noticed a negative effect with over-exertion and very strenuous excercise ...where his tics increase......this is especially here in Florida during heat and those PE workouts outdoors. At those times, I believe it is the over-heating that is having a tic-trigger effect.