ACN Latitudes Forums

Urine is rancid

I accidently posted this is autism/aspergers as well.

I have recently noticed my son's urine smells aweful. A couple month's ago we were having a problem of him wettting the bed just about every night. We tried limiting liquids after a certain time, making him go before bed and even chiropractic. But, it didn't really help. I can say now it is better with the occasional wetting. The problem for the last few weeks his urine smells aweful. When I go in his bedroom, there is an odor. We removed his mattress and I could still smell it. I then found the wet underwear from the night before. It was all I could do to pick them up. Again last night...same thing. So is there a connection with any of this? Should I take him to a dr or just give him more water/cranberry juice?

Thanks

I would definitely bring your son in to a doc to make sure he doesn't have a bladder infection or some other medical issue that is causing the odor/accidents. Hopefully they would at least run a urinalysis and urine culture.

Just to be thorough, it wouldn't hurt to also have them run a throat culture to check for strep A. Urinary issues (having to pee more frequently, acting like they have a bladder infection) can be a PANDAS symptom.

I was a chronic bedwetter with major kidney/bladder problems as a child. Bedwetting is tied to urinary tract infections and bladder infections big time, especially if the urine smells bad, is discolored, has floating clouds in it. Kidney infections cause flushing and fevers (my M.O. as a kid-- I would run fevers up to 105 and need to be rushed to the hospital). They found out when I was six that I had a bilateral reflex to the kidney and after surgery I was fine, but still prone to occasional infections and still had occasional bedwetting episodes until I was 8. No more fevers though.

As an adult I learned I was gluten intolerant, and possibly undiagnosed Celiac. (I went gluten free before getting testing done, so no dx unless I want to damage myself again to get it. My son with tics also had bedwetting issues as well, and still does on occasion. There can be a whole host of reasons for it and not just one. When I get lax on his diet and let him have offending foods to excess, especially milk or corn, I could almost guarantee he will we himself as he sleeps very deeply and soundly.

Bedwetting in and of itself should not alarm parents. I think it is fairly common in young children, especially if it is in the family. It can be associated with food allergies/intolerances. But frequent urination, foul smelling urine, discolored urine, and painful elimination are all signs of infection.

I was on long term antibiotics as a child for my kidney issues and my mother will tell you that although it was necessary it wasn't great for my immune system. I developed many allergies as a kid and looked like a bean pole for many years. My mother had lots of natural remedies that she used to help my renal system. Drinking lots of liquids is one thing. You may need antibiotics to clear the infection and then you need to instill natural remedies to keep the body healthy as renal issues tend to resurface regularly. It may just be a 'weak' area of the body for infection. Look into dietary habits that you can change, and supplements that will support the renal system and keep it healthy. Read about proper body PH. Flushing the system regularly is the best way to keep the kidney, bladder, and UT healthy. This means drinking a lot of water. Cranberry juice is loaded with sugar. Not a good idea in my book. Cranberry supplements would be better. Not going to heal an already present infection, though. For natural antibiotic you could drink grapefruit seed extract (a few drops in a glass of water) several times a day, take oreganol (liquid or capsule)-- this would be preventative, to ward off future infections.

Go see the doctor.

I would look for an underlying cause if this is common with your child-- dietary causes (candida, sugars), immune related issues (allergies), and possibly physical issues (in my case I needed surgery).

I'm not saying this is a cure for the urinary infection, I just wanted those who just have a problem with normal bed-wetting to try a spoonful of raw honey just befoe bed.

Honey attracts water so the idea is, it will hold the fluid during sleep hours, so bed wetting does not take place.

CP

Mom2ck,

Does his urine have an odor when it is fresh? I would expect day-old urine to have a foul odor, and it is possible that the mattress is going to continue to produce that odor every time it gets wet, even if you pour purified water on it.

I agree with what others have said. If fresh urine has an unusual odor, have him checked.

Cranberry juice is loaded with sugar. Not a good idea in my book. Cranberry supplements would be better.

we found a pure Knudsen farms cranberry juice that has no sugar in it

we mix it with seltzer water to make nice spritzers. it has a very strong taste on its own, but a small glassful "neat" sure makes one feel very good

I would vote to get the urine checked out even if the fresh urine doesn't smell...just b/c of the accidents. It won't hurt to ere (sp?) on the side of caution and get him (and his urine) checked. Esp, if he had a sudden change in bedwetting. How old is your son? I would find it odd if he wasn't prone to accidents but then started having them....you'd have to wonder what was the cause and make sure it wasn't a urinary tract infection or even something causing increased thirst (eg diabetes, a medication, etc.).

I just wanted to add that asparagus has a tendency to cause the urine to smell very wierd, it is unmistakenly noticed right on emptying. so if he is eating that (doubt it tho, right? lol), it could be the problem.

If there was any type infection, I would say the urine would be strong smelling as in amonia, I noticed this with my mother (in her eighties), so yea, I'd get that checked. I agree urine laying around on bedding and clothes will probably smell, altho when my son used to wet the bed and it was dried in the morning, I would go right up to it to sniff and see if the bed was dirty and only noticed a faint smell.. so don't know.

I had my son seen by his pediatrician Friday. They only did a urine test and said there was no sign of infection or diabetes. She didn't have an answer as to why he is wetting often or the bedwetting. She told me to wake him in the night and make him go to the bathroom. It is just odd that he has been trained for years and only recently started having trouble with this. He is 7 1/2 years old. And I really don't know what his urine is like when going to the bathroom. I know that when he wets in the bed, I can tell as soon as I hit his room from the odor.

Christy

If the urine tests were normal I would have them do a throat culture to check for strep (do the 72 hour test...or you can do the rapid and follow up with the 72 hour test if the rapid is negative.)