ACN Latitudes Forums

Pandas and raging episodes

I have just had a very difficult night with my daughter who has had 3 "raging" episodes in the last month. She has become volatile,abusive -physically and verbally towards us, she has destroyed property- mostly her own possessions. I had to physically restrain her today and just ride out most of the rage while she is spewing vicious, hateful things at us. When the rage subsides she is sincerly apologetic and "cant believe she behaved like that", then she just carries on like it never happened. Her therapist has called this "all part of puberty- what with the hormonal changes and alll.." this is not ,nor has it ever been "typical behavior for this normally ,calm, easy going child. I am curious if others are experiencing this as well. We have real concerns about the safety of our other children and pets during these episodes. thoughts, ideas, help,suggestions?

Some days I handle this really well and can see it coming on and I can difuse the situation -tonight was not one of those nights...

Hi Lori,

I am so very sorry you are experiencing this with your daughter.

Yes, many families have had children with unexplainable outbursts, severe behaviors, severe OCD/tics, etc. related to PANDAS/PITAND issues.

Early on, a good friend reminded me that if this was PANDAS related issues it was essentially brain inflammation--and this could touch various aspects of life. I was remembering today our pediatrician telling me last year to hide all the medications of any type in the house because our child was so "not herself."

Have you had any success with any treatments thus far?

Many with PANDAS have had positive effects when their child was treated with antibiotics, to quell the inflammation -- I believe, have you considered this possibility to see if her behaviors are affected by inflammation/immune modulating issues?

My son really has the moods and quick switch anger episodes with his PANDAS. Someone just told me it is due to inflammation in the basal ganglia. He is on antibiotics Omnicef so I would think it would be helping but I have heard the Azith is better for inflammation. For some reason Dr's don't give it out very easily for long term prophylaxis.

My son is also taking Abilify and Celexa which should improve moods and lessen anger. He takes them in the AM and I notice the meltdowns in the evening. Last night he pulled the neighbors hair. That is the first time he got violent against someone. She is like a daughter and I thinkhe gets jealous of her. We have tried the psychologist and behavioral charts too. I am not sure how to get rid of the rage. He seems to have one meltdown a day. Also he breaks and destroys things.

Michele

I have just had a very difficult night with my daughter who has had 3 "raging" episodes in the last month. She has become volatile,abusive -physically and verbally towards us, she has destroyed property- mostly her own possessions. I had to physically restrain her today and just ride out most of the rage while she is spewing vicious, hateful things at us. When the rage subsides she is sincerly apologetic and "cant believe she behaved like that", then she just carries on like it never happened. Her therapist has called this "all part of puberty- what with the hormonal changes and alll.." this is not ,nor has it ever been "typical behavior for this normally ,calm, easy going child. I am curious if others are experiencing this as well. We have real concerns about the safety of our other children and pets during these episodes. thoughts, ideas, help,suggestions?

Some days I handle this really well and can see it coming on and I can difuse the situation -tonight was not one of those nights...