ACN Latitudes Forums

Vision Problems

Have any of your children experienced vision problems with the PANDAS? My 6 yr old dd can tell me the exact day (before Easter) that she started feeling like she had something stuck in her eye and is now complaining that her vision is blurry in that same eye.

Sam

Yes. My son has an eye strain that is pretty significant in one eye. Alos got glasses at age six. Another serious issue with vsion is visual perceptual. He is very behind in the Berry VMI testing at about a five year old stage. We are curently doing exercises to help his eyes.

Have any of your children experienced vision problems with the PANDAS? My 6 yr old dd can tell me the exact day (before Easter) that she started feeling like she had something stuck in her eye and is now complaining that her vision is blurry in that same eye.

Sam

• 4 months later...

I came across this article recently and wanted to leave it.

I had posted something about blurry vision and uveitis a while back. Also, there was a thread about disregulated blood sugar levels recently. When I looked up "benfotiamene" all i could find was "benfotiamine," I'm wondering if it's the same? Interesting that benfotiamine is involved in glucose levels.

excerpt

http://www.betterhealthresearch.com/news/v...dness-19159004/

A form of vitamin B1 could become a new and effective treatment for one of the world’s leading causes of blindness, according to Texas scientists.

Researchers from the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston have presented promising results achieved with benfotiamene, a fat-soluble form of vitamin B1 which is absorbed rapidly by the body and lacks negative side effects.

In their study, they injected laboratory rats with toxins that produce a reaction mimicking uveitis and noticed that when the rats were fed benfotiamene they failed to develop any signs of the inflammatory disorder.

about uveitis

http://autoimmunedisease.suite101.com/article.cfm/uveitis

As an autoimmune disorder, uveitis may occur alone or it may accompany other systemic autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, Bechet syndrome, sarcoidosis, Kawasaki disease, Reiter disease, psoriasis, ulcerative colitis, multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus erythematosus, or ankylosing spondylitis. Uveitis may also occur in AIDS, cytomegalovirus infection, syphilis, tuberculosis, Lyme disease, and in fungal infections.

http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Benfo...blets/7342?at=0

Benfotiamine is a more bioavailable derivative of thiamin (Vitamin B-1). Unlike normal thiamine, benfotiamine is fat-soluble and more physiologically active. It supports normal glucose utilization by stimulating transketolase, the enzyme essential for maintaining normal glucose metabolic pathways. Normal glucose levels are also vital for the promotion of endothelial cell health in the kidneys and retinas.

Sam,

My son complained of blurry vision in Kindergarten during his first PANDAS episode. I brought him to the eye doctor who told me his vision was perfect. We didn't know it was PANDAS at the time and were totally baffled. I forgot about this symptom until recently when I was going through his history.

Debbie

Pixie at 6 complained of blurry and then at 7 complained she could not see certain letters or small items (stickers, etc) on the page occasionally. She had stopped doing any of this for about a year but then started again post IVig. We had her tested through a pediatric ophthamalogist (a hard appt to get) several times and all was always normal.

First, some non-PANDAS possibilities...

My son is in kindergarten has just begun saying that his eyes are bothering him. I've asked him exlpain how and he doesn't know how to explain it. When my older son in kindergarten, he was rubbing his eyes all the time. We took him to the eye doctor and they said he probably just had dry eyes.

If your child ever has sudden blurry vision, take a wet washcloth and wipe their eyes. It could be mucus, eye lash, or hair interupting the vision. You can try eye drops too.

Now, PANDAS possibilities...

Has she begun any new vitamins or have you recently upped any of her meds or vitamins?

When my son was in the middle of a PANDAS episode he did "see" bugs on him. There weren't. So obviously something was wrong. Either his brain was sending the wrong signal or something was wrong with his eyes with floaters or something. If you've ever had floaters, it's like a small section of blurriness that kind of floats around.