ACN Latitudes Forums

constipation cure?

Hello,

My kid usually has problems going to the loo. She gets constipated quite often and yesterday, the poor dear had a really tough time clearing her system. I had to bring her to the clinic. I'm wondering how I can get her to have easy bowels?

I'm currently giving her probiotics, enzymes, calcium, taurine, glutamine, magnesium and a multivit that has very high B vitamins. Has the constipation issue been exacerbated because of the sheer amount of supplements? She also takes pears and papayas regularly.

She's got the flu and a fever. With all the medication, her tics are slightly more pronounced. Sigh!

Shy

Hi, Did you ever try PlumSmart by sunsweet. It's really good,it helped my daughter with constapation. She did not like it but I thought it tasted really good. My daughter is very picky. I use to add just a little grape juice to it and she was fine. I hope your daughter feeling better. Maryann

Thanks for the replies, Chemar and Maryann.

Just a clarification - Is Plumsmart high in salicylates?

Cheers,

Shy

Hi I am not familier with Salicylates, and I tried looking at some charts under plum and it's funny some charts say plums are low in salicylates and others say its high. You can call sunsweet.

Send Questions and Comments to sunsweet@casupport.com or call our Consumer Relations Department at (800) 417-2253, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Over here in Singapore, we don't get that many brands. However, I did get hold of Lakewood's Plum juice. I gave it to her and guess what, whatever had to come out, came out :mellow: I'm planning to give it to her on alternate days. I've also seen a Fiber Gummie.

I might also try kiwis. Not sure if she'll like it though. Any idea if kiwis are high in salicylates?

Cheers,

Shy

Shy,

I'm curious, is your child on a special diet?

Prior to taking away gluten and casein, my son had constipation issues too. Once we changed his diet though, these significantly improved. Also, when gluten free, I really had to make sure that my son was getting enough fiber and drinking enough fluids. So, I've added fiber where ever I can to help straighten my son out as well as encourage water drinking.

Interestly for us ... when my son gets constipated it is about the only time you really notice his tics.

Sometimes, I add a little extra magnesium also to help move things along. Black beans seem to work too!

Good luck!

Hi Q's Mom,

She is on a special diet - no soy, no gluten, no dairy, no eggs.

I give her prune juice on alternate days - just a wee bit though as prunes contain high salicylates and it looks like it is working. The unfortunate thing is that she has started tic-cing a little more. Not sure if it is related to the prune juice, prawns or the grapes that I gave her on Sunday.

You said that you have tried introducing fibre - in what form, please?

Shy

Shy,

Examples of fiber are: fruit and veges (skin and pulp), flax seeds (also good for Omega 3), quinoa, legums/beans, whole grains, etc. When you go on a GF diet, many times, it becomes harder to get your daily intake of fiber b/c of the elimination of wheat and other GF grains. Some doctors recommend 35 grams of fiber per day, and this is really hard to acheive! For us, I add flax to meatloaf, pancakes, muffins, and anywhere possible. I also serve black beans, limas, or northern beans frequently. My son loves GFCF bean soup made in the crockpot!

Also, watch the GF foods ... many replace wheat with corn or soy as the main ingredient. I always look opt for GF foods with flax, sorghum, quinoa GF oats or rice. These GF products are harder to find but help to vary the diet and tend to be higher in fiber.

I hope that helps.

Dear Q's Mom,

Your post has given me some ideas - thanks :-)

I think I'll start flax seeds. Is Bob's Red Mills golden Flax seeds ok? You also said that you add flax seeds to meatlof and even muffins. Do you have a meatloaf/muffin recipe that you could share with me? My muffins taste like hay and my cookies have to sit in the mouth for a while before they can be chewed. My beef comes out chewy and I'm not kidding. I am basically a disaster in the kitchen.

I mentioned that I've been giving dd prune juice on alternate days and I'm wondering if this has triggered her eye tics somewhat. I have cut back on it this week and surprisingly, she went to the loo yesterday. No need for prune juice to work its wonders. Maybe, something good is happening to her system ...

Cheers,

Shy