ACN Latitudes Forums

Aspergers and PANDAS

Have others here gotten a diagnosis of Aspergers along with the PANDAS? My son had the PANDAS strep symptoms at age 15 months but the Aspergers and Tourettes symptoms came on at about age 4 after immunizations. Now the symptoms never truly go away but do get worse during sickness or exposure to strep. Then they wax and wane. However the ADD and emotional moods never really improve. He has such a quick temper too. The motor skills are also really delayed. He fits the definition of Aspergers by the DSM manual. We went to a new psychiatrist today and he agreed he thinks it is Aspergers and then PANDAS and the tics and obsessive compulsions and ADD and social awkwardness is a result of the ASP and PANDAS. He says to treat through mood/ tic medications and antibiotics. He Says not to change what we are currently giving which is Abilify 15 mg, Celexa 20 mg, and Omnicef 300 Mg per day. Do others see Asprger symptoms in their PANDAS children?

Have others here gotten a diagnosis of Aspergers along with the PANDAS? My son had the PANDAS strep symptoms at age 15 months but the Aspergers and Tourettes symptoms came on at about age 4 after immunizations. Now the symptoms never truly go away but do get worse during sickness or exposure to strep. Then they wax and wane. However the ADD and emotional moods never really improve. He has such a quick temper too. The motor skills are also really delayed. He fits the definition of Aspergers by the DSM manual. We went to a new psychiatrist today and he agreed he thinks it is Aspergers and then PANDAS and the tics and obsessive compulsions and ADD and social awkwardness is a result of the ASP and PANDAS. He says to treat through mood/ tic medications and antibiotics. He Says not to change what we are currently giving which is Abilify 15 mg, Celexa 20 mg, and Omnicef 300 Mg per day. Do others see Asprger symptoms in their PANDAS children?

Yes...we also received an Asperger's diagnosis at age 4.5 but she has always stumped doctors...sort of spectrum but no speech delay, great eye contact...and then on her first steroid burst a typical child emerged with no Asperger behavior. This past week when I had strep her autistic symptoms have gone through the roof! So, I don't think she has Asperger's plus PANDAS or ADHD plus PANDAS...I think it is all PANDAS.

We also have no speech dealy and great eye contact. He is super verbal too. But does have some social trouble with interpreting people. Also very emotional and fixed on ideas.

Yes...we also received an Asperger's diagnosis at age 4.5 but she has always stumped doctors...sort of spectrum but no speech delay, great eye contact...and then on her first steroid burst a typical child emerged with no Asperger behavior. This past week when I had strep her autistic symptoms have gone through the roof! So, I don't think she has Asperger's plus PANDAS or ADHD plus PANDAS...I think it is all PANDAS.

But does have some social trouble with interpreting people.

We have this as well...it was interesting this past week when the strep was in our house that dd began talking really loudly about people in stores, how she hated their shoes or tatoos, etc. She normally doesn't do it so angrily and in front of people and I think it was part of her strep reaction. Accepting differences can be hard for kids who cling to routine and are stuck in whatever their OCD is, I think.