ACN Latitudes Forums

Vitamin B5 for Allergies

Caryn

My husband has been refinishing our basement and has had an increase in allergies as a result.

I just wanted to share what he's been doing to help alleviate his symptoms.

1. He eats gluten free (he is gluten intolerant according to Enterolabs testing)

2. He has been taking B-complex with adequate B5 (also known as Pantothenic Acid) It has been proven to help with allergies because it helps the adrenals. It is also good for teeth grinding.

3. He has been using a nettipot every night.

4. He has reduced sugar intake and milk intake (He uses a drop of goat milk in his tea and that is about it).

5. We have bought all new pillows to help ease night congestion.

6. He showers at night instead of morning to remove pollens before bed.

7. He's also taking magnesium to help him sleep at night.

My husband has always had seasonal allergies but this year he really developed major symptoms when he had to gut out our flooded basement. He does have a deviated septum and gets easily congested. It is allergy season so I thought I would post this. My husband says the the single most relieving treatment is the nettipot followed by the B5. He has been gluten freeish on and off over the last couple of years but never 100% until recently when the allergies got so bad. He has not done allergy testing yet, but we did an unofficial scratch test on his arm using Wheatabix cereal and he broke out in hives and needed Benadryl spray to stop the itching. He is noticing that certain foods are causing the roof of his mouth to itch (walnuts) so we are also watching for that.

He recently took the OAT test through Great Plains and one supplement they suggested was NAC. Very interesting! He will begin treatment with it soon and I will let you all know if it helps alleviate his allergies.

My husband has terrible allergies and asthma and swears by his neti pot which he uses twice a day. He also takes a B complex but says he never noticed it helping his allergies, he takes it b/c he says it calms him and really helps him emotionally.

Our naturopath recently put our son on quercetin for allergies. I'm wondering if that would be a good addition to your dh's regimen, too. My son won't use the neti pot so he uses a nasal saline spray called Simply Saline and he showers at night, too. We use a mattress casing, too, that helps keep the dust mites contained and we do this with our pillows, as well.

Bonnie

Did you get my PM about the quercetin? I tried to send it twice and both times it didn't look like it had gone.

Sue

No, I didn't. That's weird. I have space in my inbox, too. I'll PM you my gmail account and you can just cut and paste it to there. Thanks,

B

Hi Bonnie

I noticed this thread, and wanted to tell you.....

I had sent you a response to a PM you had sent me, not that long ago,

did you get it? Because after I sent it, it "disappeared" and I couldn't

even find it in my outmail

Lynsey

Bonnie

Did you get my PM about the quercetin? I tried to send it twice and both times it didn't look like it had gone.

Sue

No, I didn't. That's weird. I have space in my inbox, too. I'll PM you my gmail account and you can just cut and paste it to there. Thanks,

B

Hi Bonnie

I noticed this thread, and wanted to tell you.....

I had sent you a response to a PM you had sent me, not that long ago,

did you get it? Because after I sent it, it "disappeared" and I couldn't

even find it in my outmail

Lynsey

Yes I think so! It was on the 16th! I've been meaning to respond to you to say 'Thanks!"

Bonnie

I have seen some people talking about the scratch test for allergies. Do I simply rub the arm with what I think may be the offensive allergy? I am thinking more about outdoor allergies. Does it also work with other foods?

We broke the skin with the wheatabix cereal bar by rubbing vigorously. If you just place the item on the arm without scratching the skin nothing will happen. I did it with my husband as a funny joke. We have been gluten free for 2 years in the house and he is a known cheater. (The wheatabix was stashed in the upper cabinet and I didn't even know it was there.) I joked about doing a scratch test if we had wheat in the house and low and behold he fessed up.

He broke out in hives and needed benadryl spray to stop the itching on the scratched skin area.

We are still planning on doing an allergy test. The doctor didn't think IgE was worth it as he said my husband probably already knows what bothers him. We will probably do an IgG. Hubby just took the GREAT PLAINS OAT test. It was very interesting. He is very healthy but needs to boost glutathionine in his body. So we will supp. with NAC now, just like Carolyn.N always talks about.

BTW, I'm not sure a small child would sit well through an at home scratch test. It was not comfortable for hubby.

Oh, and now he is sticking to the GF diet. LOL.