ACN Latitudes Forums

Food, glorious food

Hello,

How does anyone bake or cook without gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, chicken and citrus?

I tried baking a cake (a pre-mix) yesterday and I tell you, it was terrible. Kiddo ate it and said that it was ok but I know that she didn't really like it.

We went for a birthday party yesterday and she ate the cake that I had baked. But, I knew that she wanted the 'real' birthday cake that everybody else was eating. The image of her looking at other kids enjoying their food - now that really haunts me and I can't sleep. It's 5am in Singapore and I'm surfing the net, looking feverishly for cookie/cake recipes for my little kid.

Does anybody have a recipe for cake/cookies/bread that works? Something that tastes like the real thing will be really nice. I tried baking cookies with sorghum flour, tapioca flour, sugar, egg-replacer, xanthan gum, baking powder, canola oil and water and the cookies tasted like wet cardboard. Maybe the ratio was not right ... Anyway, I'm trying to avoid rice flour as well.

Hope somebody can share some 'work-able' recipes with me. I can't cook to save my life :wacko:

Cheers,

Shy

Hi Shy,

I don't have a recipe, but I personally like the Namaste brand. They have brownie, blondie, cookie, and cake mixes. I've had the brownie, blondie, and cookie mixes and really like them. They call for eggs to be added to the mix, but maybe you could try your egg substitute in it without the flavor and texture being changed too much? Most of the mixes do have brown rice flour in them. Namaste is by far one of my most favorite allergy friendly brands for desserts.

Carolyn

HI Carolyn,

Thanks for sharing this with me :wacko:

I've seen Namaste in the shops but in Singapore, they carry such a limited range. I'll have to check if Namaste does International shipping. My secret wish is that I'd like to be in the US right now. I've seen people in the forum talk about how they accidentally located a treasure trove at WholeFoods. The variety that they state -whoa, it's really unbelievable to me. I can't even find dairy-free, soy-free butter for my kid.

Just wondering, would you know if cream of tartar is safe for a kid who is not doing gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, chicken, citrus. I'm trying to eliminate yeast as well.

Shy

I have a from scratch carrot cake recipe that everyone loves. It tastes pretty close to the real thing.

http://healthy-family.org/caryn/442

I make it with eggs but others have made it without eggs and said it tasted great.

I now make it with Beth's Gluten Free Pantry baking mix (add about 2 1/2 cups of flour-- almost the whole box. I also make it with honey in lieu of the white sugar (1/2 cup of honey) because everyone prefers it with honey now-- moister.

The recipe makes a standard double layer 9 inch round cake.

There are two frosting recipes. The dairy free one is made with palm oil and powdered sugar. You can also serve it with just sifted powdered sugar on top. I've done that too. We use special corn free powdered sugar.

Applesauce-- sure, just use pear sauce. (Heat a pear and mash it). The pectin in the apples helps to bind the cake.

Evaporated cane juice is actually unrefined table sugar. It is a creamy color because it is not bleached. We actually don't use it anymore. We use the honey instead.

Baking soda is necessary to get it to rise. Otherwise it will be flat as a pancake and chewy. Is there a reason why you are avoiding baking soda? The recipe also calls for baking powder.

I have a vegan cupcake cookbook with this recipe: (I have made some of their non- gluten- free cupcakes, and they have been really good.)

chocolate cupcakes

1 cup soy milk (can substitute rice milk)

1/3 c canola oil

3/4 c sugar

2 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 tsp almond extract

1/4 cup tapioca flour

2 TBSP ground flax seed

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 cup white rice flour

1/2 cup quinoa flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

I am not sure if these ingredients are ok, but if they work for you- email me and I will type in the instructions for you...