ACN Latitudes Forums

swimming pools

abbe

Hello everyone,

We are going on vacation Friday and I just wanted to know if going in the pool made your children tic? I know I read this before on the site. I am going to let Nick go swimming and I hope that a quick rinse off in a regular shower after will be ok. Any thoughts or experiences?

abbe

Hello everyone,

We are going on vacation Friday and I just wanted to know if going in the pool made your children tic? I know I read this before on the site. I am going to let Nick go swimming and I hope that a quick rinse off in a regular shower after will be ok. Any thoughts or experiences?

abbe

I noticed that if I keep the chlorine levels low, like at 1.0 PPM, that he doesn't have a problem. If I just shocked the pool, he will tic more. So, we stay away from public pools. It was weird last summer. The minute he made contact with the pool water he started a new tic, but it didn't last for more than a few minutes so it wasn't an ongoing problem, it was just an immediate reaction. My dh even noticed. I really only see an increase in tics if the chlorine is high. Not sure if I helped at all b/c I know that with tics, it's all individual.

Bonnie

chlorine is a major tic trigger for my son and he stopped using swimming pools some years back. it didnt seem to matter whether the pool had just been treated or not. I also avoid chlorine in household/laundry cleaners

we also noticed showers would trigger and since we added filters to the shower heads that is improved

[quote name=

Cheri, Bonnie,

thanks for your replys. I was curious if there was anyone who could comment on chlorine NOT causing tics to start or be worse. Has anyone noticed this NOT being a trigger. I guess I am just asking because I will probably let Nick swim at least once when we are away and I was wondering if there is a chance that this won't be a problem for him

abbe

We have a pool that is treated with salt but the salt is turned into chlroine anyhow.

I did believe it was a tic trigger for her at one point but then there was a point when it never effected her at all.

I think and believe that the wax and wane period for these kids is so different at times that its truly hard to find a true trigger in my opinion.

She swims everyday, spent the weekend in the pool of course and no tics....of course though she is on topamax until school lets out.

I am so CURIOUS to see if his tics dissapear while on vacation. I bet they will!

Just enjoy it! RELAX RELAX and have fun. This thing can take over your life! Take a break and have fun! I bet he will be fine! You will see!

Wish I was headed for a vacation LOL (I headed back to work and its just draining the heck out of me lately)!

If you are concern about the cholrine in the pool. I would shower immediately and soak in epsom bath to detox.

I know it is so hard to relax not knowing what the triggers may be, esp on your vacation. Just bring all the things you need with you. Most likely, the cholrine may not even be a problem.

Pat

Just enjoy it! RELAX RELAX and have fun. This thing can take over your life! Take a break and have fun!

with respect myrose, my son came out of a pool one day and had such intense tics that he started whiplash and totally knocked his atlas vertebra out, requiring intensive chiro and orthopedic care

that was when HE decided no more pools

that doesnt mean every kid with tics is sensitive to chlorine,and I am delighted for your daughter that she is ok with it,

but it is wise to be aware of potential triggers IMO till one is sure that they are not going to be a problem

OK, so I am going to worry if he goes in no matter what. He is tic free again since the computer is out of his room and he has hadno computer exposure. He wants to see Monsters inc (movie) and I am scared to go. We went for the live blood and dried blood test today. He has heavy yeast. It was pretty cool to see the blood cells and the yeast live. I am putting him on a better acidol.bif combo and taking him to the Chung institute near my house. The Clinical nutrionist refered me. She said they are great. She said they have this machine called KMT that they let you take home and you hook it up to your hands when you sleep and it kills yeast. pretty cool>>> She wants him to take Chlorella tablets also. Anyone used that ??/

abbe

hi Abbe

yes we used chlorella to help mop up mercury from my son's system

i havent heard of it being used for yeast tho??

havent heard of that machine either...that sounds very interesting!

getting rid of the candida"yeast" really made a major difference for our whole family :(

[quote name='Chemar' date='Apr 8 2009, 09:Cheri,

The chlorella was suggested for the metals not the yeat.

I never heard of this machine either but the real convincing part of it was the clinical nutritionist who told me about it used it for her kids. She was then able to do the live/dried blood test after and SEE the results. It has something to do with the currents that run through the body that zaps the yeast.

abbe

There is two theorys why the pool sets off the tics. One is the chlorine in the water and the other is the light shimmering off the surface and reflecting in the child's eyes. We have a salt pool and try to have our son swim in the evening hours or on cloudy moments of the day but the bottom line is for a special occassion I would let the child swim and ignore any tics for we have to let the kids be kids.

I guess im werid but when im in a pool, ocean, shower, any thing that involves water. I feel SOO relaxed that i dont have a SINGLE tic i love the water and its really the only place i can be and feel 100% comfortable and free. Not everyone reacts the same to chlorine. ive been in chlorine pools, salt pools... No problems

I guess im werid but when im in a pool, ocean, shower, any thing that involves water. I feel SOO relaxed that i dont have a SINGLE tic i love the water and its really the only place i can be and feel 100% comfortable and free. Not everyone reacts the same to chlorine. ive been in chlorine pools, salt pools... No problems

That is what the bottom line is. Even it there are large common groupings of things that could make an individual tic, not every one tics to the same triggers. Everyone has to try trial and error to find what works and what does not work for them or their child and everyone has to weigh how severe a trigger may be and is it worth it once in awhile. I agree with Chemar that if the chorline in the pool is causing severe tics then the pool should be avoided. On the other hand, I have heard that some kids can swim in the chorine pools for three or four times before anything shows and perhaps that is because the repeated exposure of the chorine is building up in their bodies. We have a salt pool. It still converts to chorine but it is not the same as adding straight chorine to a pool plus we keep it at the lowest possible level according to the seasonal heat and rain of Florida.

We had an issue with "pools" last summer. My son developed a head nodding tic while in the pool which progressively got worse while we were at the beach seemingly from pool exposure.

At first I assumed it was the chlorine/chemicals in the pool, but then also considered it could have been the life jacket he was wearing or the sunscreen he was using. The glare on the water could have been a contributing factor too.

We started epsom baths after every swim and changed to a natural suncreen, got rid of the life jacket, and added some sunglasses. My homeopath had him do a detox. The tic faded and has not come back.

As a side note, we had been to Disney earlier in the year, and my son was tic free. He was in the pool several times, and it did not seem to bother him.

I'm interested to see how he tolerates the pool this year. We'll see.