ACN Latitudes Forums

Would love input on magnesium brands

Hello,

I would really appreciate some input on the different types and brands of magnesium that people have chosen to use, and why. Is there a lot of difference in the different brands? Have some of you found that while some worked others didn't, or is it just a matter of tweaking and personal choice?

We had taken our daughter off of all supplements, as she seemed to be doing worse, and I became frustrated at trying to figure out what the cause was. With dietary intervention she has improved, and has actually gone for four or five days at a time without tics lately, but still has eye rolling and sniffing that flares up. Yesterday was a bad day, and I was just so discouraged as she had had a good streak of several days. I know in addition to the salicylate issue that I am addressing, I really need to start her back on some supplements, but I want to do it one at a time, and slowly, so that I can note improvements and reactions better this time, rather than hitting her with everything at once like I did before, then when things go awry not know why. I thought I would start with magnesium.

By the way, I could sure use a good success story right now of someone who feels like they have actually beat this (by natural means because that is what we are doing at this point), not just improved. It is always so hard when I starting to get excited, and think we may be beating this thing, and then there is a setback.

Thanks.

Hello,

I would really appreciate some input on the different types and brands of magnesium that people have chosen to use, and why. Is there a lot of difference in the different brands? Have some of you found that while some worked others didn't, or is it just a matter of tweaking and personal choice?

We had taken our daughter off of all supplements, as she seemed to be doing worse, and I became frustrated at trying to figure out what the cause was. With dietary intervention she has improved, and has actually gone for four or five days at a time without tics lately, but still has eye rolling and sniffing that flares up. Yesterday was a bad day, and I was just so discouraged as she had had a good streak of several days. I know in addition to the salicylate issue that I am addressing, I really need to start her back on some supplements, but I want to do it one at a time, and slowly, so that I can note improvements and reactions better this time, rather than hitting her with everything at once like I did before, then when things go awry not know why. I thought I would start with magnesium.

By the way, I could sure use a good success story right now of someone who feels like they have actually beat this (by natural means because that is what we are doing at this point), not just improved. It is always so hard when I starting to get excited, and think we may be beating this thing, and then there is a setback.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have been reading your posts and can definately empathize with feeling overwhelmed and discouraged. We have been on a very restricted diet of GF, CF, Soy and Nut free for over a year. I have never really seen any benefit from the diet but have always continued in the hopes it might help and also out of fear that by eating these foods he may even get worse by overloading his immune system? If you read my past posts you will see that things were at one of their worst points in February. Out of desperation I changed his diet to an even more restricted one by taking out corn and lowering his salicylate intake. To keep my sanity I joined Feingold to help with the salicylate piece. You may want to consider joining as the diet gives you more options than simply going no/low salicylate. They give you a very comprehensive shopping guide and online access to a very supportive and knowledgeable message board. I have seen a dramatic reduction in my son's tics since starting Feingold. However I am like you and want to "beat this" and not just get an improvement. So I am also trying to figure out what supplements to add back in. Like you I also want to add in magnesium but have had a really hard time finding one. I have tried various forms of Magnesium Citrate (Now chewables and Natural Calm) and have not seen any benefit and at higher doses his stools were too loose and he would fight me taking it every day. I tried an ionic liquid magnesium that I thought would be the answer as it had no taste and he tolerated it well. However I was horrified to read in the fine print of the literature that came with it that it contained collodial silver! So I stopped that one. I have used magnesium creams and epsom salts baths with no apparent benefit. I have just ordered Magnesium Glycinate from Kirkman - here is the link:

http://www.ourkidsasd.com/products/magnesi...-Kirkman%20Labs

Obviously I can't recommend it since I have not even tried it yet but just thought I'd share my experiences as I know this is not easy and so stressful. Please feel free to ask me any questions, not sure I can help but I definately understand where you are coming from! Take care!

Buffered Magnesium from Kirkman. Three pills in the morning for a ten year old and three pills in the late afternoon, Be careful if you use it by judging time for it really cleans out the intestinal tract and the person taking it will need to use the bathroom. Which is a good thing too if you think about it.

Buffered Magnesium from Kirkman. Three pills in the morning for a ten year old and three pills in the late afternoon, Be careful if you use it by judging time for it really cleans out the intestinal tract and the person taking it will need to use the bathroom. Which is a good thing too if you think about it.

Hi,

We use Magnesium Taurine by Cardiovascular Research. I've only found it in the Vitamin Shoppe. We use 500mg for my 10 year old.

Hi, I will be watching this thread closely. I have been a lurker since October and I'm now ready to jump in. I started Magnesium Lactate last week on my daughter. Besides fish oil which was a disaster, this was the first thing I have tried. Two days later we quit. She was definitely getting worse. I know you asked this, but I am also curious if some Magnesium will work and some won't.

I feel your frustration. So sorry.

Hi, I will be watching this thread closely. I have been a lurker since October and I'm now ready to jump in. I started Magnesium Lactate last week on my daughter. Besides fish oil which was a disaster, this was the first thing I have tried. Two days later we quit. She was definitely getting worse. I know you asked this, but I am also curious if some Magnesium will work and some won't.

I feel your frustration. So sorry.

Hi

fish oil seems to trigger tics for many.....when it does, flaxseed oil may be a better source of important omega 3

IF your child has lactose intolerance then possibly the magnesium lactate is not the right form of magnesium to use

for tics magnesium taurate seems to be a good option (as long as person is ok with taurine)

Natural Calm (and Kids Calm) that is used by many here is magnesium citrate and seems well tolerated at regular does. too much gives loose stools

Magnesium glycinate also seems well tolerated

magnesium oxide is very poorly absorbed so one needs a lot of that to reach optimum levels