ACN Latitudes Forums

Peanut butter

Sheila

Hi--I saw some posts on peanut butter. This is one of the items Ginger Wakem, (whose son's recovery from severe TS with diet, nutrients, and environmental controls started this movement) warned about. Others have also written to ACN about needing to restrict peanut butter to reduce tics. Of course everyone has different sensitivities. But we know that peanut allergy is on the rise in America. At the same time, kids love it and the protein is good.

One way to test for it is an elimination diet. (By now you would know if there is a serious allergy to it, in which case you would not want to do this as it could be dangerous, besides serving no purpose--and you wouldn't be feeding it to your child anyway! But that's a caution that has to be given.)

You would have to strictly avoid ALL peanut products for a week, then give a hefty serving of it. If it is aggravating tics, you should be able to tell. The trick is totally eliminating it for the clearing period--this is difficult with peanut because it is in so many things. However, because it can be life-threatening, product labeling now often emphasizes peanut ingredients.

At the least I would consider minimizing those PBJs--having it no more than once every four days to see if that makes a difference.

Hi Sheila,

Thanks for your input regarding peanut butter in response to my post. I know that peanut allergies are becoming more common in our society today and could aggravate tics if you have a food sensitivity to peanuts.

My posting, however, was not referring to the avoidance of peanut butter due to allergies. My son has been tested for allergies and peanut butter was not one of his sensitivities.

My post was to make people aware of the danger of hydrogenated oils that are used to make most name brand peanut butters. I have read many articles recently that talk of heavy metal content (nickel and aluminum) in hydrogenated oils. My choice to omit the peanut butter is because of the high aluminum showing up in his testing. For those people concerned with heavy metals, you might want to consider limiting the hydrogenated oils (that are in so many things).

Heather

I saw the peanut butter heading and had to read it because I think my son would starve to death if he couldn't eat peanut butter! Thank goodness he's not allergic to it. I agree the hydrogenated oils are bad, plus most peanut butters add sugar and other stuff they really don't need. I get peanut butter from Trader Joe's, and the only ingredients are peanuts and salt (you can get it unsalted too). You have to mix it up when you open it and keep it in the fridge, but it tastes exactly like any other peanut butter, and my kids love it.

What I meant to say to Claire re:the histamines was that an allergic reaction releases a lot of histamines, not that they contain them. Sorry for any confusion. I was just making a general comment, not specific to the cases of those posting--it just prompted me to mention it.

I think the issue may be that some people tend to think of peanut allergy as only the severe type that results in a major and possibly life-threatening reaction. But there are parents writing that their child can handle a small or moderate amount of peanut butter during a day or week, but with more they start reacting with tics.

Maybe for some it is not a typical allergic reaction, but rather a sensitivity that can develop to any number of foods. I was just passing the comment on because people write that they had no idea it was part of the problem for their child, then when they stopped it or reduced it things got better. Of course, it's great when it's not an issue!

In addition to nasty oils in peanut butter, I just recently noticed that regular peanuts in cans often have had the peanut oil removed (to sell) and cheap cottonseed oil added.

Thanks again Sheila for your comments. I love this forum and have learned soo much from other's experiences and from your expertise in this area.

It makes me feel much better to connect with others going through the same thing who are trying the same methods of treatment. Sometimes when discussing these things with people around me, it is hard not to feel like they think I am quacky.

Sorry Sheila--I edited my post above to remove my misinterpretation of your statement, it is always dangerous to speak for someone else anyway and I hesitated doing so!

Are you saying that peanut butter can set off tics in some children, even though formal tests show no sensitivity or allergy?

You mention cotton seed oil in peanuts. Well, now that my son has a known allergy to peanuts, I amazed to find that many packed cashews have peanut oil added intentionally! It drives me nuts.

And try to find a power bar that isn't made on machines that process peanuts...but that is another story.

Claire

Claire: Re: your question: Are you saying that peanut butter can set off tics in some children, even though formal tests show no sensitivity or allergy?--

Formal tests for allergy are controversial; it's one of many areas where experts presently disagree. There are a number of different ones being used for measuring various types of immune reactions.

While a significant peanut allergy will proabably be ID'd with blood work, there is the chance for peanut sensitivity (different) to develop, just as it can for any food.

The link below shows cross reactivity with allergy-related foods. In the group with peanut (birch), over exposure to other foods or allergens in the group, or other immune issues going on at the time, can affect how the body will react to any one of these. If it is ragweed season, the foods in that group are more likely to be troublesome than at other times of the year.

http://allergies.about.com/cs/cross/a/aa052801a.htm

The idea is that someone is not always at the same level of sensitivity. When nutrients have been balanced, fatigue is not a factor, immune system is strong, etc., someone may be able to eat select foods without a reaction. When this is not the case, and the person is in a hypersensitive state (seems common with TS, and often occurs hand in hand with chemical or sensory hypersensitivity ) then certain foods may be more likely to promote symptoms. The ones eaten most frequently are suspect.

My suggestion is just that people take a look at peanuts in this way. Don't assume a clear lab test means peanut butter can be eaten several times a week without consequences. Maybe it can--it's just not a given.

Of course it there is a documented peanut allergy, it should be avoided, as you are seeking to do for your son.

Someone could have a RAST result that looks clean for milk--yet the person knows from personal experience that milk causes symtoms. Relying on careful observation should trump test results.

Food allergy tests can result in false positives and false negatives. Environmental physicians believe that serial end point titration skin testing, where the skin reaction is measured (not just symptoms observed), and elimination diets, are the most reliable measures. Again, not all would agree. Fortunately, lab testing for food allergy is becoming increasingly sophisticated. Sheila

Claire,

Thanks for the idea of the 1/2 substitution of the peanut butter and doing the transition gradually. He is now acquiring the taste to the Organic but it has taken some mixing to do so.

Chemar,

I am still looking for the sesame tahini. Sounds interesting!!!!

Heather

A topic near and dear to my heart as we have just about finished our food elimination diet. My son reacted to:

dairy: Increased his motor tics, caused vocal tics, and hyperactivity and impulsiveness. By far diary is the WORST food for Kurt.

eggs: emotional, and motor tics

chocolate: VERY hyper

corn: tics, and impulsive and emotional (this includes corn syrup and cornstarch which are in alot of things)

soy and wheat were fine.

The corn allergy REALLY surprised me. I don't think I would have picked up on this if we had not done the food elimination diet. Seriously, corn is in EVERYTHING.

My thought on peanut butter is that some brands have corn in it. We have switched brands to one with no corn and this has made a difference. I guess what I am saying is that be careful that you know exactly what may be causing the reaction because many foods have many ingredients.

For example, I found a brand of chicken strips at costco with no dairy in the breading but I still felt that Kurt was "reacting" to the chicken strips and I kind of thought it must have traces of milk in it that was not listed on the ingredients. Well it turns out it was the corn flour in the breading that he was reacting to.

The book "Is this your child" by Doris Rapp has made a juge difference in our life and explains food allergies so well.

In her book she describes kids who have multiple food allergies as having 5 pebbles in their shoes...if you get rid of 4 of them then it is better but you still have one there.

Shiela, I also would like to take the time to say thankyou for Lattitudes as well as it has helped me in so many ways.

Take Care,

Ronna

Guest Robin O

Ronna, My son is also allergic to milk, corn, wheat, etc etc!!! You are right, corn is in everything. I found a great milk,wheat free muffin mix my son loved and the last ingredient is corn flour. Well I tried it thinking it must be such a small amount it wont cause a reaction. Boy was I wrong, after eating the muffins for 2 days. 2-3 per day his tics are bothering him. He has started his blinking tic and now is winking his left eye. We gave up the corn syrup a while ago because it did increase his tics and made him very hyper.

I have found some great cook books that are corn, milk free and the health food store I go to has alot of corn free products.

Its hard to find something for your kids to eat somedays!!

By the way, if you go Back to Braintalk and go under the Gluten sensitivity forum you can get some really good recipes that are corn free. JCC who posts on every thread has a child who is allergic to wheat, gluten and corn. Alot of the parents share ideas for meals. I have tried several and my son has liked them all. The elimination diets are hard but when your finally done it is so helpful.

We are still on Bonnie G's vitamins but sometimes I wonder If I could keep my son 100% off of all the foods he is sensitive to, would they still be necessary. I know he needs the vitamins but he takes them everyday and still gets the increase in tics, mood swings and hyper if he eats something he is sensitive too.

I have read Dr. Rapps book and its is great. I highly recommend it to everyone. Its amazing what food can do to our bodies if we are sensitive (allergic) to it.

The only down side to the diets is I miss going out to dinner with my kids and ordering anything they want off the menu. You never know whats in the food.

Robin

Robin,

I don't remember hearing whether your son's tics ever improved after he drank the milk that time, you sounded so frustrated. How is he doing--from your post he sounds much better?

I know what you mean about the triggers--it is a trade-off. Ideally we rebuild their immune systems and/or detoxify them so that neither are necessary, but I think Iwould be okay with some supplements and less lifestyle changes (ie avoiding foods and TV/Computer in my son's case).

I still don't know how one avoids both corn and wheat with a child--such a challenge. Are the products labeled 'corn free'?

As for going out--that and school are our biggest challenges.

Claire

Hi Robin and Claire.

Corn is in everything but we are getting use to it. Out of the four allergies. Dairy is by far the worst and we avoid it COMPLETELY. Although corn is a problem also Kurt does seem to be able to tolerate small amounts about once a week. Mc Donald's has corn in every single thing on the menu except the fries. For a special treat once in a while we get Kurt a fish burger with no sauce or cheese and this makes him happy.

Overall, the change in eating has been ok...some days I am just so sick of it but others are ok. On the bad days I pine for the "old days" when I naively just made KD and hot dogs etc on the nights I did not feel like cooking.

Now I seem to cook all day long...making muffins, cookies etc that Kurt likes for snacks etc. I end up making stir-fry's for lunch and someday's it is hard to "think" of something to eat. We are eating more roasts and potatoes.

I think I am losing weight because I try and not have anything that Kurt reacts to in the house such as popcorn (my favorite) etc...some nights I have a "snack attack" and cannot find anything but carrots or apples...:)

I can't even walk down the cookie aisle anymore. It seems that if something is dairy free then it has corn and visa versa or eggs etc. Right now I am just so glad Kurt can tolerate wheat however, I am holding my breath as I say this as my wost fear is that wheat will become a problem.

I try and be very strict at home and then I find that if we are out he can have a little of something. I am finding eating out to be horrible and Kurt gets stuck having a chicken burger with fries everywhere we go. He does like aisan food so this is another "treat" for him.

I dream about the old days of telling Rob to pick up pizza on his way home from work!

Anyways, off I go to the kitchen for more "experimenting" ...thanks for the tip to check out the gluten board at braintalk.

Ronna

Guest Robin O

Claire, my son did improve from the milkshake after about 7 days. He had a great 2 weeks and then we gave him a strawberry smoothie and the blinking/winking tics came back. Its so frustrating. who knows what is causing the increase this time. My son said the other day that I need to stop looking for triggers etc. I really try not to let him see my frustrations but its hard some days.

He started a winking tic just yesterday. I told him I think its rather cute. It breaks my heart. Just when I think I am getting used to all the tics a new one comes along and I fall apart again.

Thanks for asking about him. He asked me about your son the other day. He can't believe your son does not watch TV etc. I told him about your son and that I wanted to try and go without TV for a week or two and you can imagine what the response was!!!

He keeps saying he needs to Email you and talk you into letting him watch TV. I have told him your son is not at all upset about this but it just blows his mind.

I have limited his viewing time down to 1.5 hours with no complaints so far. I try to keep him busy outside. Its starting to warm up her in NC to 66 degress so we are outside most of the time Robin.