ACN Latitudes Forums

ANA Titer?

A few weeks ago, we convinced our local PCP (who doesn't believe in PANDAS) to order ASO titer just to check where our son's level is now. Good news: his ASO has fallen back into the normal range since his symptom explosion last August. Bad news: his ANA titer was positive, as it was when he first got sick in April 2007.

I looked on the medical web sites and found that ANA (Anti-Nuclear Antibody) is considered a general indicator of potential autoimmune disorder. Seems pretty relevant to PANDAS! Just curious: has anybody else had their PANDAS children test positive for ANA titers?

Hi Worried Dad,

I don't post much more on here, but, I do keep up with what is happening. I felt compelled to respond to this because I really couldn't believe I saw a post about ANA titers, especially right now. I have been researching ANA titers for the past week or so, and have also been looking into a connection with these PANDAS childres. As you stated, ANA antibodies are antibodies that are produced to attack the bodies own tissues, resulting in inflammation. It is a good screen for Lupus, which is an inflammatory disease where the bodies own cells get attacked in several systems of the body, from the skin up to the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord), resulting in symptoms. The kicker here is I had an ANA test ran last week, which was positive for the antibodies, however, the titer was low enough for it to be considered a negative result....however, they were there......and, I have two kids with PANDAS (genetic component?? Did I pass on these antibodies?).....I have been seriously wondering about the ANA antibodies...these disorders connected to ANA antibodies are treated with steroids, which help greatly.......all too familiar.

I haven't gotten my kids checked, yet........

Kelly

Oh, what was his ANA titer level???

Hi, Kelly:

His ANA wasn't that high, but above the normal range - 1:160 homogeneous. Just seems like a weird coincidence that he was originally diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder (ARF with SC), diagnosis was changed to a different autoimmune disorder (PANDAS), his ASO has gone up and down in parallel with his symptoms, and his ANA has been elevated consistently. Maybe I'm overanalyzing... hard not to, when you can't get a local doctor to do the analysis for you.

Thanks for responding!

Hi Worried Dad,

I don't post much more on here, but, I do keep up with what is happening. I felt compelled to respond to this because I really couldn't believe I saw a post about ANA titers, especially right now. I have been researching ANA titers for the past week or so, and have also been looking into a connection with these PANDAS childres. As you stated, ANA antibodies are antibodies that are produced to attack the bodies own tissues, resulting in inflammation. It is a good screen for Lupus, which is an inflammatory disease where the bodies own cells get attacked in several systems of the body, from the skin up to the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord), resulting in symptoms. The kicker here is I had an ANA test ran last week, which was positive for the antibodies, however, the titer was low enough for it to be considered a negative result....however, they were there......and, I have two kids with PANDAS (genetic component?? Did I pass on these antibodies?).....I have been seriously wondering about the ANA antibodies...these disorders connected to ANA antibodies are treated with steroids, which help greatly.......all too familiar.

I haven't gotten my kids checked, yet........

Kelly

Oh, what was his ANA titer level???

A few weeks ago, we convinced our local PCP (who doesn't believe in PANDAS) to order ASO titer just to check where our son's level is now. Good news: his ASO has fallen back into the normal range since his symptom explosion last August. Bad news: his ANA titer was positive, as it was when he first got sick in April 2007.

I looked on the medical web sites and found that ANA (Anti-Nuclear Antibody) is considered a general indicator of potential autoimmune disorder. Seems pretty relevant to PANDAS! Just curious: has anybody else had their PANDAS children test positive for ANA titers?

I just double checked my dd's records...her's was negative in two separate tests...one that was done when she first was checked out after her hand tremors started at age 4 and then one that was done after the explosion of pandas symptoms was negative also. This is very perplexing.