ACN Latitudes Forums

help with son's ts

cinderella

we are in a dire dilema, my son was diagnosed with ts 2 years ago. he has tried all kinds of meds. the only one he responded well to is risperdal.a med that makes you tranquil. his doctor has very ungracefully bowed out of his treatment leaving him with only about ten days of meds left. we need a new doctor fast. we wanted to move away from traditional meds into a more natural treatment. hence the real dilema,stopping meds that make you tranquil poses a very serious problem that can not be ingnored. does anyone know how to find a real doctor who uses natural therapies?

Hi Cinderella,

I have started with a DAN doctor (many of whom are MDs) who ran my son through a series of non-invasive metabolic tests (except the blood test is semi-invasive) to see what underlying imbalance were causing his symptoms. Many here have found underlying health issues for their children and used that info to help their children improve considerably. The benefit of a DAN doctor is that they have established a protocol with a battery of tests for the most common underlying conditions, such as:

vitamin deficiency

allergies

yeast

heavy metal toxicity

low antioxidants

gluten/casein issues

I am doing this and so far have had good luck with insurance coverage.

To check out the practioners in your area, go to:

www.autism.com/ari. Click on DAN on the left, then find a doctors in your area.

Others here use naturopaths and homeopaths and have had great success--the only problem there is that I don't know of a general source listing for those familiar with neurological issues--maybe someone else could suggest one. There is also a list of Environmental doctors at aaem.org. I cross referenced that list and found a doctor on both lists.

If you will read through the posts here, you will notice that many of our kids with tics had similar health issues and saw major improvement with supplements and detoxification. This is why I personally decided to go through full diagnostic testing. Many of us have had success without pharmaceuticals.

I believe that you must wean your child off the medicine though. Chemar knows about this.

I am headed out to vacation, good luck!

Claire

Hi Cinderella and welcome to Latitudes

I am, so sorry to hear of your doctor's behaviour.

I have a friend here locally who has had to deal with a similar situation just because she questioned things! and I too had a dr bow out when we decided to go med free.

*sigh*

thankfully, as Claire has mentioned, there are now qualified physicians who are realising that there is more to healing than just prescription meds!

I found an excellent pediatrician who practices traditional and holistic medicine and provides her patients with a truly balanced approach to treatment.

I have not used the DAN drs but am hearing good things about them here.

If you dont mind indicating what city you are in, perhaps someone here can provide you with the name of some good drs

You could also email Dr Sheila Rogers here thru the Latitudes /ACN website as she may know who to recommend in your area.

All the best to you, and do just note that if you decide to take your son off meds you should "wean" him off by titrating (ie reducing) the dose gradually so as to prevent withdrawal side effects.

stay in touch with us :wacko:

Cinderella,

Chemar raised a good point about Sheila Rogers...Actually I think Sheila has just set something up where you can buy consultation for 1 hr (3 20 minute sessions) for $90--I think the idea is for her to direct you how to get started and not to offer 'medical advice'. You would have to check pricing and policies with her (I don't have the Latitudes issue where she listed the new program).

I assume she may have started the fee structure to be able to accomodate more people, as you can imagine how time consuming that could be for her to be helping the individual posters while she maintains this site and holds another job. I would have paid for it in a second, for the leads she gave me.

Claire