ACN Latitudes Forums

Turmeric/curcumin

kim

I'm glad I saw this. I suffer from inflammation too and lately it has been extremely painful in all of my joints. I have been to dr after dr trying to get a diagnosis (sound familiar??) and am on the same diet that is helping Pixie, but I can't seem to link mine to food beyond a few specific things (sugar, gluten, corn) and am stumped. This might be a great help!! Thanks!

just a quick thought pixiesmommy - have you tried knocking out nightshade plants such as tomatoes and potatoes.. there are others not sure what they are. Some people can't deal with the solanine in them. It may not be the root cause of the problem (although I think for some it can be) but it may help. my mom gets R arthritis and when she knocks out potatoes it really helps her..

Edited by dut

• 11 months later...

Curcumin extract may be of benefit in these autoimmune diseases by regulating inflammatory cytokines such as IL-1beta, IL-6, IL-12, TNF-alpha and IFN-gamma and associated JAK-STAT, AP-1, and NF-kappaB signaling pathways in immune cells.

I also use Enhansa brand (made by Lee Silsby) along with Source Naturals BioPerine (the black pepper extract), remember hearing it had been received very well in the autism community. Turmeric itself has chemicals in it that will inhibit absorption of the curcumin in it, which is the part responsible for the anti-inflamatory effects, so curcumin extract will likely perform better than whole turmeric.

• 3 months later...

We give our DS an organic curcumin supplement we purchase from The Vitamin Shoppe.

Nancy, can you tell me what the exact name is for the curcumin extract you use? I went to GNC today but what I got is Tumeric with 95% curcumin. This is what they had, now I see that the tumeric will inhibit the curcumin absorption. I found the place you mentioned, The Vitamin Shoppe, online and want to get the right stuff this time! Thank God GNC has 30 day money back!

We give our DS an organic curcumin supplement we purchase from The Vitamin Shoppe.

Nancy, can you tell me what the exact name is for the curcumin extract you use? I went to GNC today but what I got is Tumeric with 95% curcumin. This is what they had, now I see that the tumeric will inhibit the curcumin absorption. I found the place you mentioned, The Vitamin Shoppe, online and want to get the right stuff this time! Thank God GNC has 30 day money back!

You know, last time I went into my local Vitamin Shoppe, they didn't have the organic brand on the shelf anymore; it was by Genceutic Naturals, and now I can't even find it on their web site. Maybe they've stopped carrying it? I did find it available from the manufacturer on line, though. Here's a link:

Organic Curcumin

So, the last time I needed to restock, I bought the Jarrow brand from my local VS.

I wasn't aware, though, that tumeric inhibits curcumin absorption?! If your supplement is only 5% tumeric, though, is that really going to interfere measurably? I guess better safe than sorry, though.