ACN Latitudes Forums

Just wondering

Have all of your children been for either ? or both? any findings? curious, because my son has not.

Thanks so much!

Gaby's MRI in the height of her symptoms showed nothing. This is not unusual - it rarely picks it up. CT's don't show anything. She had a PET scan done yesterday - am anxiously awaiting results. This is a new procedure that picks up the areas of inflammation in the brain. They inject a chemical into the IV which binds to the areas of the brain that are inflamed and they light up when the scan is done.

My daughter has had 2 MRIs- both showed nothing. An 8 day VEEG showed chaotic brain waves but no seizure patterns- although the neurologist said it was consistent with a person who does have seizures and there were episodes that looked like seizures. They went away when with anticonvlsants.

My daughter has had two MRIs. The first was last summer when she was in the midst of the "worst" episode. (Presented as if psychotic, not speaking, etc.) At the time it was to rule out any obvious problems.

The second MRI was ordered to recheck (neurologist.) Concern was that Lyme disease may be a factor in her illness. Special note to the radiologist to check for Lyme and OCD.

Contrast was used both times.

My daughter has had two MRIs. The first was last summer when she was in the midst of the "worst" episode. (Presented as if psychotic, not speaking, etc.) At the time it was to rule out any obvious problems.

The second MRI was ordered to recheck (neurologist.) Concern was that Lyme disease may be a factor in her illness. Special note to the radiologist to check for Lyme and OCD.

Contrast was used both times.

...forgot to add, both MRIs showed nothing.

My dd had a MRI in December when symptoms were mild (a bit of a verbal tic, "measurement rituals" when eating). It was normal. No contrast dye was used.

We did have the okay to do one last spring when symtpoms were severe. We ended up delaying and not doing it b/c we knew we'd have to sedate her at that time. We would've done it if she hadn't improved on Azith.

Like others, we weren't expecting to diagnose PANDAS on the MRI, we just wanted to rule out another obvious cause of dd's symptoms.

Our son was accepted into a PET scan study at Children's Hospital of Michigan in March of 2008 (same one pmoreno mentions above) that showed inflammation in the basal ganglia, as expected for PANDAS. He had MRIs done in May/June of 2007 (when he first became ill but was undiagnosed) that were "unremarkable."