ACN Latitudes Forums

How long do I follow Dr orders, when tics are returning?

I need help again. My sons tics have returned the last few days! I went to an Oriental Medicine Dr on Tuesday. She told me to go gluten and dairy free plus start her (MARKET AMERICA) supplements. She told me to stop my supplements b/c she did not have blood work and I did not bring in the bottles.

She did cupping on Tuesday and the marks are still on his back as of Saturday PM. His eye tics returned Thursday and then today he is scrunching his whole face. He did not realize it was tics, but later said "Mommy is it my wanting to smile like this that is a tic?".

My recipe of supplements has been working for some time now, for the tics....but he has focus problems. I went to her for the focus problems. She said his diet would make her whole family sick (Life cereal, pancakes, sausage, turkey, apples, chicken, meatballs, salad, carrots, green beans, fiber one granola bars, yogurt?????...the glycemic index was high she said.....I felt like a horrible mom, but at the same time thought I had him on a good diet....no real junk) I think she really knows her stuff....but I spent HUNDREDS of hours researching the supplements that I give him and he was tic free....now the tics are back after four days......

Was it the cupping that draws out the tics? Is it the diet change.....I gave him soda and pizza for lunch b/c I feel like the other stuff is not working and he is such a champ about it...and there were four boys there and could not tell him no once again!

IS it the lack of having my recipe of supplements? Is it the new supplements?

OH, and I am VERY frustrated by the fact that the $140 of supplements are from Market America, which is a networking thing :mellow: .......I want to trust the DR, but is this a marketing thing??

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....I have been waiting for a year to see a "natural" Dr. who could answer my questions...and now I don't trust what is happening!

Any suggestions? Thanks

Tracy

did you already start the new supplements?

that could well be the problem

honestly, just like with all physicians, there are naturopaths that are good and then there are those that are getting rich by marketing their products. I am not saying yours is one but I dont get when docs tell you to stop the supps that ARE working in order to go on theirs....I simply refuse to buy their products unless itis something I know of and have specific testimonials for ......

the cupping draws out toxins and so yes, there is a "balance" change after cupping but it is usually (from our experience) for the better

for my son the HFCS in soda is bad news so yes, the diet stuff can trigger the tics but personally I would suspect itis taking aways the supps that were working and replacing them

I am a bit of a lioness so if it were me I would take back her supps and ask my money back

Thanks for the input. I have already thought about taking them back.....there was a money back guarantee if he didn't like the taste of them!

I have always given him supplements in vanilla ice cream (all natural) to cover the horrible flavor. Applesauce and yogurt didn't work. She told me that b/c it was cream/cold/oily he would absorb hardly any of the supplements......have you ever heard of this? Seems he must have absorbed them b/c he was not ticcing!

Thanks

It sounds very suspect for this doc to say ice cream would hinder absorbtion of supplements without even knowing what those supplements are !! I know that some things are actually better absorbed when taken with fat...for example, Vitamin D is better absorbed when taken with a fat, since it is a fat soluble vitamin. (The vitamin D in skim milk is poorly absorbed b/c of the lack of fat.) I would also imagine that for most supplements, it really wouldn't make a hill of beans if you took them with ice cream or not!

I also find it suspect that she attacked your son's diet (which doesn't sound all that bad to me!) in that manner. It would have been more useful (and kid friendly) to say, "These are the things you can do to improve your son's diet"..."for example, add blueberries and flax seed meal to the pancake mix. Or make sure the sausages are the type without all the unhealthy additives...buy organic apples...or add in some of these foods" etc.

Personally, I also don't really buy the whole glycemic index hype for a kid who isn't overweight or at risk for diabetes. Of course you want fiber and a balance of protein/fats etc but you don't need to get crazy about it and cut out carrots b/c of the gylcemic index!

I need help again. My sons tics have returned the last few days! I went to an Oriental Medicine Dr on Tuesday. She told me to go gluten and dairy free plus start her (MARKET AMERICA) supplements. She told me to stop my supplements b/c she did not have blood work and I did not bring in the bottles.

She did cupping on Tuesday and the marks are still on his back as of Saturday PM. His eye tics returned Thursday and then today he is scrunching his whole face. He did not realize it was tics, but later said "Mommy is it my wanting to smile like this that is a tic?".

My recipe of supplements has been working for some time now, for the tics....but he has focus problems. I went to her for the focus problems. She said his diet would make her whole family sick (Life cereal, pancakes, sausage, turkey, apples, chicken, meatballs, salad, carrots, green beans, fiber one granola bars, yogurt?????...the glycemic index was high she said.....I felt like a horrible mom, but at the same time thought I had him on a good diet....no real junk) I think she really knows her stuff....but I spent HUNDREDS of hours researching the supplements that I give him and he was tic free....now the tics are back after four days......

Was it the cupping that draws out the tics? Is it the diet change.....I gave him soda and pizza for lunch b/c I feel like the other stuff is not working and he is such a champ about it...and there were four boys there and could not tell him no once again!

IS it the lack of having my recipe of supplements? Is it the new supplements?

OH, and I am VERY frustrated by the fact that the $140 of supplements are from Market America, which is a networking thing <_< .......I want to trust the DR, but is this a marketing thing??

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....I have been waiting for a year to see a "natural" Dr. who could answer my questions...and now I don't trust what is happening!

Any suggestions? Thanks

Tracey,

Can you tell me what supplements you had your son on that helped him with the tics?

Linda

Tracey,

I'm not clear on wether you did take him off the vits you were originally giving him. If so, than I'd say that seems clear that they were helping in some way. I wouldn't go chnging everything at once, supps, diet, if things were calm. See that is the dilemna we have about trying to treat the comorbid issues, what may be good for that is not necessarily good re the tics, we've discussed that alot here. I'm sure the cupping was probably fine to do, but I'd still be interested to know if you did take him off his regular vits.

Faith

I don't know a real lot about this stuff, but hey, it certainly seems like she was trying to sell her stuff. Why would someone advise you to go off what is working?

It annoys me because we all try sooo hard to get something that works, then along comes someone willing to risk that merely to sell their own stuff.

If it were me I would be going back to what you know. Even sounds like she was abit harsh in her criticism of the diet.

I think I would've come away feeling the same as you did. I thought they were supposed to work "with" you.

Just remember you've done everything right, and from the sound of it you also did a good job of it.

Lyn.

Hey,

I would not trust any doctor who puts your child on a supplement that they directly benefit from through financial gain. Market America or the mall without walls is a bad new multi level marketing company that the people who are in it need to sell a large amount of inventory to advance in status. I think accupuncture is great and wish I could get my son to go but he is to young. Go back to your old supps and find a new accupuncture doctor.

abbe

Tracey,

Our son's accup. dr also said not to eat ice cream because of the shock it gives to the digestion. (weakens it) He was not selling us supps tho, so I think he was telling us this as info. He did not like the fact it caused mucus too. Do you think maybe she was telling you about the ice cream because the cold would hurt the digestion of the supp? Has anyone else had a Dr. tell them ice cream was not good?

Just thought I would let you know our accup. said sort of the same thing.

CP

CSP,

We follow Chinese medicine, so YES ice-cream or anything cold or frozen is not good for our system iff we have it daily and esp to those who are weak to it. Any diary is mucus forming, so ice-cream is a double no-no.

Pat

Thanks for all of the replies.

Faith, I totally stopped my supplements...

He is still ticcing today and I emailed the DR. I told her the amino acids were what finally took the eye tics away and she said to add them back in, but in applesauce....I am going to keep him off of them for one more week to see if maybe the antibiotics from 3 weeks ago could be part of the problem, or the cupping from last week (his marks lasted all week!).

She did talk about not having cold drinks with food, and how the ice cream is also cold and it is not good.....so I guess it must be part of the Chinese Medicine...she talked a lot about how our food starts to break down/digest!

The Multi Level Marketing bothers me.....don't like it at all and makes me lose trust!

ONE MORE QUESTION - She wants me to go gluten and dairy free.....I am trying my best, but it is so hard when you have spent your whole life not understanding good nutrition!!!! My son is extremely allergic to bug bites and she commented on the fact that maybe there is a food allergy that has not yet been identified.....and that this may be a large part of his focus issue. HOW LONG do you guys suggest I keep him gluten/dairy free? When would I see the focus improve from emliminating the gluten/dairy? Thanks.