ACN Latitudes Forums

?Unusual hand movements

Have any you noticed your kids having any funny hand movements .

My son had almost continuous piano playing like movements when his illness was at its worst but they went away. and recently returned ( at a much lesser level)

Otherwise he is fine. His OCD is completely gone/ I have posted his labs in a separate post.

Thanks!

My son had almost continuous piano playing like movements when his illness was at its worst but they went away. and recently returned ( at a much lesser level)

Otherwise he is fine. His OCD is completely gone/ I have posted his labs in a separate post.

Thanks!

Does he play? My sons hand movements are giving the middle finger to people and taping

No Piano-- plays trumpet

No middle finger just kind of taps his thumb to other fingers but symmetrically.

His handwriting is terrible ( but always has been) does not seem to bother him with sports. He is an avid player football, basketball, baseball....has the movements but works around them.

Thanks!

My son looked like he was playing the piano for about a month last year.(when his illness was at his worst) It wasn't jerky like his other tics. His father had sydenham chorea when he was a child and they say that is a common movement. My son is doing 95% better and I no longer see the piano playing movement.

My son does the hand movements...although he is not confirmed PANDAS yet...it was the constant finger wiggles that made me really notice something was not right...

his movements are symetrical... and usually simultaneosly on both hands, even when all his other tics subsided, the finger wiggles were still there...

in the past week his tics have increased again...we went for another strep test but it came back negative...still waiting to see the neurologist.

My son plays piano on his tongue, believe it or not. Thumb on the bottom,going thru each one of his fingers on the top. right hand, left hand, then wipes each finger(piano movement) on pants right then left repeating maybe 4/5 times. Sitting at the computer/ doing homework will play fingers on the table. I keep Germ-x close by(haha)

• 9 months later...

My ds just started doing this, too. It's mild but it's there. Is this a symptom of PANDAS?

My ds just started doing this, too. It's mild but it's there. Is this a symptom of PANDAS?

Yes

Thanks!

I recall another post a couple of days ago about this, and it was noted as a chorea movement.

I guess there's a simple test you can do with your child? Have him/her stand against a wall, close their eyes, and raise their arms straight out, either shoulder-height or even over their heads. A child with SC (chorea) will appear as though they're playing the piano with their fingers. Did I get that right?

Lisa, did you have the ASO titer and the Anti DNase B? Was the culture a rapid Strep? Many times these are false negatives.

My son does the hand movements...although he is not confirmed PANDAS yet...it was the constant finger wiggles that made me really notice something was not right...

his movements are symetrical... and usually simultaneosly on both hands, even when all his other tics subsided, the finger wiggles were still there...

in the past week his tics have increased again...we went for another strep test but it came back negative...still waiting to see the neurologist.

my son has the funky hand movement thing, too. it was at its worst when the PANDAS first blossomed and took over his world three years ago; now it comes back in a less-intense form. but, it is one of the signs we look for to see if he is having problems. as an aside, we have given up on strep tests--in our experience, our son can have a recurrence of symptoms if his immune system is taxed from even a cold or the flu--we haven't found it to be limited to strep infection, except for the initial onset (scarlet fever, asymptomatic strep for months). just a thought. good luck to you.