ACN Latitudes Forums

Antioxidants

Claire

A number of you took your kids through 'detox.' So, with some background here of what I have found, I would appreciate input from any of you on what antioxidants have to do with detox. So how do free radicals relate to detox and the nervous system? I thought they were an aging and/or cancer thing?? I thought it would be good to good explanation here.

In the EM doctor visit thread, I discussed that we just got my son's test results back and he was very low in antioxidants. 3 different tests hit on this one. He was deficient in multiple areas related to antioxidants: Vitamin C, sellenium, decreased decreased pyroglutamic, a metobolite of glutathione, and alpha lipoic acid. Plus he was at only 35% of normal. His doctor kept saying he was detoxing --but there was so much data I was trying to follow, I never asked for an explanation.

First, Heather,

This is antioxidant supplement he gave (this was a separate supplement from all the others for specific deficiencies). But if the heavy metal toxicity test comes back positive, then I suspect he will provide more specific supplements for that.

"Deluxe Scavengers" Antioxidants

Vitamin A (as Beta Carotene), C, E

B2 Riboflavin 5 phosphate (I just realized this is the active B2 after all!)

B6

Selenium

CoEnzyme Q10

Lemon Bioflavonoids

L-Glutathione Reduced (Heather, this sounds like an important one for Detox!)

N-Acetyl Cysteine

-----------------------------------

One test said my son had "decreased pyroglutamic, a metobolite of glutathione. Glutathione serves as an antioxiant and and also removes toxins such as mercury, PCB's, PBB's and other toxic chemicals. Low values may indicate glutathione deficiency due to oxidative stress or chemical exposure."

I found this so far:

Glutathione (apparently a deficiency/issue, though it sounded indirect)

"Glutathione is a small molecule made up of three amino acids, which exists in almost every cell of the body...

The presence of glutathione is required to maintain the normal function of the immune system. It is known to play a critical role in the multiplication of lymphocytes (the cells that mediate specific immunity) which occurs in the development of an effective immune response.

Furthermore, the cells of the immune system produce many oxiradicals as a result of their normal functioning, resulting in a need for higher concentrations of antioxidants than most cells. Glutathione plays a crucial role in fulfilling this requirement.

Glutathione as a Detoxicant.

Supplemental detoxicants become necessary as our environment becomes increasingly polluted. Our food and water sources are contaminated with chemicals. One of our main defenses against pollutants is glutathione, which is present in the liver in high concentrations. Glutathione acts as a detoxifying agent by combining with undesirable substances and ridding the body of them through urine and bile. It is important to note that unless the Colon, Liver and Blood are also detoxified, the benefits of Glutathione as a detoxicant may be minimized.

Glutathione is also used to prevent oxidative stress in most cells and helps to trap free radicals that can damage DNA and RNA. There is a direct correlation with the speed of aging and the reduction of glutathione concentrations in intracellular fluids. As individuals grow older, glutathione levels drop, and the ability to detoxify free radicals decreases.

Alpha lipoic acid: "Antioxidants are a bit like kamikaze pilots, sacrificing themselves to knock out free radicals. One of the more interesting findings about lipoic acid is that it may help regenerate other antioxidants that have been used up. It is thought that certain nerve diseases are at least partially caused by free radical damage." (But the nerve damage it mentions is diabetic neuropathy)

Selenium

Selenium is required for a well-functioning immune system.

Selenium is a trace mineral that our bodies use to produce *glutathione* peroxidase. Glutathione peroxidase is part of the body's antioxidant defense system; it works with vitamin E to protect cell membranes from damage caused by dangerous, naturally occurring substances known as free radicals.

Claire,

This is a good site that has the autism conference proceeding. There is some really good info on here especially from Willis Langford. If I remember correctly I think he talks about antioxidants. He cautions against using things like milk thistle for the liver etc. because the detoxification pathways aren't working correctly.

www.autismone.org/proceedings/

Jennifer