ACN Latitudes Forums

Isotonix / Might-a-mins supplements - anyone use these?

The doctor has told me to use Isotonix OPC3 and multivitamins for my son. I am going to stop the other supplements, which makes me nervous! But apparently he was not absorbing very much because I was giving them in ice cream....she said it is a horrible way to give supplements b/c it is cold, oily, very creamy and hard to digest......and the body won't absorb the supplements with all this going on.

I am wondering if anyone has tried these, and how they are working.....

Hi Tracey...I've had the same question myself re the OPC-3:

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4222

Here is a study showing it is beneficial for blood pressure/heart etc: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18628275

I would probably not recommend it for tics from PANDAS (due to the grape seed extract)...I don't think it would cause a problem with non-PANDAS tics????

Let us know how it goes.

PS...

I read that pine bark extract (one of the ingredients in OPC-3) can be good for ADHD. Pine bark extract also lowers dopamine and adrenaline.

We have been on them for three days. His tics are coming back.....but I stopped all other supplements and gone gluten and dairy free.....this results in more fruit and veggies, so I think he is high is salycilates again.....

I am going to give it two weeks....and if the tics stay, I will stop the supplements.

Thanks for the input!!!!!!

[

Tracy,

I would ask your doctor if he/she is enrolled in Market America. If they are involved I would not use any of their suggestions because it was based on them making money not helping your son. Market America is a network marketing company...

Tracey...perhaps somebody can comment on this...pine bark extract (in OPC-3) causes an increase in dopamine. But, don't people with Tourettes have too much dopamine already? (I know they have abnormalities in dopamine, I don't know if it is too simplistic to say there is too much!)...but is something that increases dopamine a good thing?

Tracey...perhaps somebody can comment on this...pine bark extract (in OPC-3) causes an increase in dopamine. But, don't people with Tourettes have too much dopamine already? (I know they have abnormalities in dopamine, I don't know if it is too simplistic to say there is too much!)...but is something that increases dopamine a good thing?

I just read another post from March that says it lowers the dopamine levels.....thanks for informing me, I will research it AND ask the Dr.

Tracey,

I was just noticing you said you were trying gfcf and so started giving more fruits? if the tics started coming back, the fruits could very well be contributing (remember your experience re salicylates?). so don't count that out, even if its been only a couple days on fruits. I had recently seen my son spike his eye twitching from having more fruit and bananas in just one week, and once I removed, he did seem to calm down. so you have to look at everything that was different. and no offense, but I would not just assume the oriental med doc was 100% right on when she said he probably wasn't absorbing the vits because of the ice-cream, I mean maybe it isn't the best way to give it, but it is certainly possible he absorbed them enough for them to help, because you obviously had seen some positive effect. just my opinion.

How are things presently?

Faith

Faith,

Yes, one day he had high salycilates. I noted this in my tracking. I corrected it right away....wow, that is tough when you are gluten and dairy free! God Bless the moms that handle this so well!!!!!

I returned the "Market America" supplements on Tuesday. He has not had ANY supplements since Tuesday morning. His tics are actually getting better (since Tuesday morning). I have concerns of shocking this child's system!

I am at a loss b/c I still don't have an answer as to if I give him too much stuff, but remember researching it all when I came up with the doses I give. We had a different Chinese medicine DR on Tuesday, and he said that all the supplements I give are good things to give him....but was assuming that they were all pediatric doses. Blood tests were done Tuesday, but he had been off the supplements for a week!

I have the magnesium, NAC, Acetyl L Carnitine, and GABA on the counter for the AM....still don't know how I will get them into him....hates them in applesauce.....maybe I will just pour some maple syrup in a cup and have him drink it :blink: ....he started fighting the supplements right before we got the new ones.

He is tired a lot lately.....started his anger outbursts lately, and he hasn't had these in a long time! Sometimes it reminds of those first posts I used to do when he was having the screaming fits.

Overwhelmed is the way I feel these days....again....but I know it is all going to come together soon! The tics are the least of my concerns at this point....focus, focus, focus....read, read, read!!!!

Tracey,

I use yogurt for Nicholas' supplements. Stoneyfield strawberry or blueberry or peach. I changed from regular to soy when they said he had a milk allergy and then they said he was a little allergic to soy and I went to applesauce. nicholas was so unhappy with applesauce it wasn't worth it and things have been good for me on the soy.

abbe