ACN Latitudes Forums

Bowel incontinence...

My dd has been having urinary incontinence both daytime and night when she is asleep. Today, she had bowel incontinence for the first time. Is this typical of PANDAS? I do want to mention that she is on two antibiotics - Augmentin and Azith right now - day 6 is today, so she has been fighting the diarrhea and I can't be certain that is not the cause. She's never had incontinence before on antibiotics, but while she has taken each of these individually, she's never been on two at the same time before either.

Has anyone else's child experienced this also?

I would anticipate that in the next few days, things should be improving for her... thus far, she is still having hallucinations (visual and auditory), defiance, outbursts, urinary urgency (also had a daytime and a night incontinence since Weds), separation anxiety, and schoolwork remains quite a time-consuming struggle.

I updated her pediatrician via fax this am, so am uncertain if I need to contact him again to notify him of this or not. I don't know if it indicates things are getting worse.

As I sit here writing this, I am thinking, "...and they do not understand why she is having attendance issues at school???" ... and somehow, I have to figure out a way to make it work for her to attend school on schedule. Sigh...

Dd has this issue on Augmentin, which I am stopping today. Is she on any other meds (adhd, antipsychotics)?

We homeschool dd, and even with homeschool, I have not been able to do more than one or two things with her. I have had things set up...like projects, clay, writing exercises, etc. and we haven't been able to get through more than one or two things this week. We even had to cancel her first OT appointment today because she just can't handle it. After a really good month, this just is awful.

My dd has been having urinary incontinence both daytime and night when she is asleep. Today, she had bowel incontinence for the first time. Is this typical of PANDAS?

I don't know if it is "typical" but our dd(10) did have a number of bowel accidents during her worst time with "brain inflammation" this summer.

Over a period of 3 severe weeks it would happen about twice a week--In the weeks leading up to the severe time she also "almost made it" to the restroom a few times. I don't know if it was an OCD issue--telling her to do this, or a loss of control issue.

BEMom--I also sent you a pm--take care,

T.Mom

I will add that Gaby has never had an accident (either urinary or bowels) since she potty trained around 2 1/2 - 3 years old. However, a few weeks ago, she was playing in the living room and she was incontinent of urine (a large amount). She didn't even seem that upset about it - normally she would be running to make it to the bathroom. I don't think its a physical thing - I think their brains are out to lunch and they just aren't thinking clearly. If they have trouble dressing, eating, concentrating in school - why would it be surprising that they would sometimes lose the ability to sense that they have to go to the bathroom.