ACN Latitudes Forums

Augmentin

Indigo

Hello,

When we tried dd on Amoxycillin, she did not do well...it made her really irritable and angry. Is there a difference with Augmentin? Since strep in this area of PA seems to be resistant to Azith, we thought we might try Augmentin next. What is the difference for PANDAS kids with Augmentin and amox?

Augmentin is just Amoxicillin that has clavulanate potassium (a B- lactamase inhibitor) added to it.

β-lactamase inhibitors are often given in combination with penicillins to tackle the problem of the resistance caused by the presence of β-lactamases from bacterial cells.

In my experience with my PANDAS children, Amoxicillin does not work with their strep, but they did respond INITIALLY to Augmentin. That did not work so well after a while though. You may want to also consider cephalosporins such as Keflex or Omniseph.

Colleen

B) Wow! 4 hours after taking the antibiotic, dd suddenly calmed down immensely. She was a different child! How on earth could that happen so fast? It reminds me of the prednisone! I'm not expecting it to last, but wow, it would be wonderful if it did. :huh:

So, dd's sleep was great last night.

But the irritability is HIGH on this stuff...she had a rage when I was trying to get ds an OT eval, it was awful!!

I don't know whether the irritability will get better the longer she is on it, or if I should take her off of it. Any experiences to share with me?