ACN Latitudes Forums

school issues

michele

I had to post an update. My son was able to get up and get himself ready and follow a list of morning routines on his own. This is great because I have been getting him ready all year. It is remarkable he will do this for a sticker and a positive note to his teacher when I have been working on this all year with a sticker and reward chart. I have been spending mucho money on rewards for stickers. all she is giving is a sticker and it is working! I don't get it?

However, yesterday the teacher sent home a note to me saying she talked to Andrew about the noises he makes. He said he copies his sister's squeals and whines( she is two). Teacher said he told her his mom and sister don't like it and he is not going to do it anymore. That she will be checking for this on the daily note also. Okay, I am glad she is trying to help us but who does she think she is ,super nanny? She told me he is manipulating us and pushing our buttons. I don't think she believes these are vocal tics because he doesn't do this at school. I made the mistake of telling her how loud and obnoxious it can be and embarrasing in public when he melts down.

She is pulling him aside and talking about these home issues each day. Again I am all for things getting better here and more peaceful at home, but doesn't this kind of overstep her job description? He is not doing too great at academics like Math and Writing so why doesn't she put her concentration there? She talked very little about how he is not meeting standards.

Are people that clueless about TS? I have given that school papers and handouts. I am thinking they need an inservice from TSA? I will get the book Dut. Thanks.

Michele

Trust me to get it wrong.. it was this book....

In his preface to An Anthropologist on Mars—a wonderful collection of narratives on individuals with a wide range of neurological conditions—neurologist and author, Oliver Sacks, describes how the brain's plasticity, its enormous capacity for adaptation, predominates his view of his patients

Sacks also profiles a surgeon with Tourette's syndrome, a condition commonly marked by involuntary mimicking of actions and words (echopraxia and echolalia), convulsive tics, and compulsively uttered obscenities (coprolalia). According to Sacks, this impulse disorder was viewed as demonic possession in the Middle Ages. Sacks is careful to point out the extent to which any clinical condition—even one as potentially disruptive and intrusive as Tourette's—not only affects but is affected by the individual who lives with it. In this case the surgeon and the Tourette's perform a dance; sometimes the Tourette's leads, sometimes, the surgeon. But what is most striking is the fact that their movements are ultimately coordinated in a way that allows the surgeon to reach his goals.