ACN Latitudes Forums

Problems with risperdal and natural calm(magnesium)

mom2ck

Hi Kim,

Well maybe that was part of his problem. He has never seemed to have a problem with lactose, but we recently had blood tests of possible difficulties and we found he should not have dairy products. Good thinking! Unfortunately the doctors don't take the time to inquire about any of this.

Thanks Kim

Olivia

Olivia,

In addition to above post (and this may be a real long shot) I'm wondering if this could be involved in any way. The vomiting, just made me wonder.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002285.html

Risperdal tablets contain lactose and should not be taken by people with rare hereditary problems of galactose intolerance, the Lapp lactase deficiency or glucose-galactose malabsorption.

So if someone got tics after taking a med can it be reversed ? Should I use E? pleas respond!!

Please be very careful about allowing your children to take Risperdal. My son has developed a Tourette's problem as a side effect of taking this drug. My son was 28 when he was put on this drug. He was put on it because the Zoloft, the anti depressant they gave him caused him to have rages, which he had never experienced before. To calm him he was given Risperdal. While on Risperdal he gained about 20 pounds very quickly. After 4 months his was throwing it up and could not tolerate it. We cut it down as slowly as possible due to his reaction we had to stop it. Within 3 weeks, he was twisting his wrists and flipping his hands uncontrollably and muttering "Jesus Christ" over and over. It's taken over a year to stop the hand twisting. Now he has a vocal tic and makes repetitive movements with his arms spontaneously. His doctor at UCLA said he didn't know why he had those symptoms, neither did a neurologist whom we paid $350 for a visit. I called the company that makes Risperdal and they said it could cause those side effects but they had no cure. I am on the look out for alternative medical solutions and feeling very disappointed with our mental health professionals. Ollivia

I thought Tardive Dyskinesia only involved the face (mouth)?

Olivia,

Your very welcome! Wondering if you could tell us what they saw in the blood work that was helpful? Sure can relate to the anger over noone acknowledging the movement being drug induced. Seems the undesirable side effects of modern medicine are far too rarely reported.

One thing I learned in hind sight is that there were no blood tests done prior to giving him these medications, if they had they could have seen he should not have had them. It was even more upsetting to have no doctor admit that this was a side effect of this medication. I had to call the company who made Risperdal to validate my guess.

Guy,

Some articles say that TD movements can be indistinguishable from the original movements. I don't think it is strictly limited to the face/mouth/tongue, maybe just most common in this area? As in Olivia's son's case, if they aren't even acknowledging it, how often do you think it's reported and how accurate of info do you think people are really getting? Makes ya wonder.

[

Kim and Guy,

The doctor has said he has Tourette's. He has a vocal tic and spontaneous movements with his arms and hands. Regarding the blood work, he should have been tested for levels of dopamine and serotonin, and cortisol before being given these drugs in my opinion. These brain chemicals were way out of balance and we had no idea until we worked with a mind, body oriental medicine center where they tested for these things. A neuropsychiatrist we consulted with later said risperdal was making things worse for him and said that his system was so sensitive that he could only handle naturopathic interventions.

I think what was most disturbing to me about the response I was getting from the doctors I consulted with was a lack of curiosity or interest in what was causing it. At UCLA, who was monitoring his intake and initiated the taking of Risperdal, the doctor shrugged and just said it couldn't be tardive dyskenesia because he had only been on it 4 months. I have found out that it can come on after one dosage. A neurologist gave me another non answer that was incorrect. They pretty much dispense medication and never suggest other methods of treatment. I decided to rely on myself to do the research and find another way to go. It hasn't been easy but I have had more success. I don't think the medications are safe, brain research is not even advanceded enough at this time. I have heard that neuroleptics can take 15 years off a person's life. The good news is that with supplements, cognitive training, good diet and exercise, I think many things going on in the brain can be helped.

Olivia

quote name=kim' date='Mar 31 2009, 07:01 AM' post='31516]

Olivia,

Your very welcome! Wondering if you could tell us what they saw in the blood work that was helpful? Sure can relate to the anger over noone acknowledging the movement being drug induced. Seems the undesirable side effects of modern medicine are far too rarely reported.

One thing I learned in hind sight is that there were no blood tests done prior to giving him these medications, if they had they could have seen he should not have had them. It was even more upsetting to have no doctor admit that this was a side effect of this medication. I had to call the company who made Risperdal to validate my guess.
Guy,

Some articles say that TD movements can be indistinguishable from the original movements. I don't think it is strictly limited to the face/mouth/tongue, maybe just most common in this area? As in Olivia's son's case, if they aren't even acknowledging it, how often do you think it's reported and how accurate of info do you think people are really getting? Makes ya wonder.

Guy,

Yes you can get blood tests for dopamine and serotonin. When my son was put on supplements we could see that the dopamine was increasing, which is what he was very low in.

Olivia

did i misread your post, or did you get a blood test that measured serotonin and dopamine?

i didnt know that was possible!

This discussion pretty much sums up my understanding of this type of testing. You'll see that he mentions "by products of dopamine."

The 2nd one talks about blood and urine. As Olivia said, if you were to have blood and urine testing done, and could see a consistent rise (or fall) detected with a drug or supplement, you might be onto something. These tests are available, but you need to have pretty controlled circumstances to get consistent findings (just my take on it).

http://forum.parkinson.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4714

National Parkinson Foundation

Ask the Dr.

and

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003561.htm

If you search the testing threads on this forum, you'll see tests like the Ion panel and others that test of the indicatiors of Catecholamine's. Great Plains and Metametrics are two labs that do these types of tests.

Olivia, do you know who your son's testing was ordered through or the name of the test?

Yeah, it was my understanding that you can only indirectly measure dopamine and serotonin.

What are the tests called? Are the expensive? I want them (for my nerdy mind). Also norepinephrine.

Hi Guy and Kim,

I have been so busy, haven't been able to go online. I'll look back into our medical records and find the name of the tests and the labs who did them. It was done in San Francisco, but will get more details for you.

Olivia

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, it was my understanding that you can only indirectly measure dopamine and serotonin.

What are the tests called? Are the expensive? I want them (for my nerdy mind). Also norepinephrine.

Hi Guy and Kim,

I have been so busy, haven't been able to go online. I'll look back into our medical records and find the name of the tests and the labs who did them. It was done in San Francisco, but will get more details for you.

Olivia