ACN Latitudes Forums

Antiobitic Dose and Probiotics

myrose

I wrote in a few weeks back to report that my daughter was diagosed with her first sinus infection. She usually gets Azithromycin (she is allergic to penicillin) but we always have an issue with getting her to swallow the liquid. So I had asked for a pill form antibiotic.

She was given smz/tmp. I never got a chance to write back in on the board (just started working again) but after three days on this antibiotic she started eye blinking REALLY bad! I researched the heavy duty antibiotic and found it to be a sulfa antibiotic.

I stopped it immediately and two days later the blinking stopped.

I never went in for another antibiotic only because she was better and sinus infections do clear on their own. If it had been anything else I would have went in for another script. (just want to clarify that, I really am not a bad Mom, and I know its important to finish the whole course, but to me this was okay given the circumstances)

Anyhow the weather here in Florida did another RECORD BREAKING drop, my daughters nose started again and by Sunday night she just seemed to go downhill quickly. I gave her sudafed (sinus) and she kept waking up throughout the night saying that she felt dizzy and that she may get sick. This morning she missed her first day of school in 3 years!!! Her choice no less!!!!

She was very warm and looked pale and of course the clogged nose sounded like it did before when it stayed for almost two weeks.

I called at school today and was told that 6 of the 10 kids in her class were out sick with fever and vomiting. I thought I better had take her back in so I did tonight. I explained to the doctor (it was a different one) about how we never finished the lastest round of anitbiotics and why....of course NEVER heard of tics but the nurse practioner said that alot of people have a reaction to sulfa containing drugs.

She deceided after she checked her out to put her on a new script and see that she takes it the full term. I guess to be sure that the sinus infection was fully gone. When I explained about my daughter not wanting to take the liquid no matter what we do she prescribed Azith in a pill form for her. She takes 1 pill a day for 3 days at 250mg each. The guideline for her weight (45 pounds) is 200mg

Do all of you think its okay that she is 50mg past the guidelines???? We do not have alot of experience with antibiotics, I believe she has only been on them 5 or 6 times. She is 6.

Also I want to give her probiotics while on this but am not quite sure as to how far apart I should spread the antibiotic and the probitoic???

Do you wait a few hours afterward the antibiotic? She took her antibiotic at 8pm tonight and will do the same for the next two pills.

So will the morning be okay to give the probiotic? or should I wait until she gets out of school??

Sorry always so long......I have gone back to work (first time since I became pregnant)! In other words I have been so tired and of course busy! I miss the nights I used to spend on here reading. Now I have to sleep!

Okay THANKS EVERYONE! She has only another day on the antibiotic and then she is done. I feel better now knowing that the 250mg is okay for her.

Guess I will give the probiotic in the morning then. She has lunch at school so I can't give it to her then.

She takes the antibiotic at 8pm so there is way more than 3 hours there and so thats good.

I found out today that 2 of her classmates have been diagnosed with the flu!!!!! Had the same symptoms as my daughter.

Funny how they said their doctor did a flu test on them. When we went my daughters temp was 101 (it had come down a bit)

and I guess I would think they should have checked her for flu (was not aware of a flu test). Her other complaint was her head hurting (headache).

She seems perfectly fine tonight. Running around like her busy ole self. Although her nose is still plugged and she has started a dry cough. Her complexion is off and she looks as though she has bags under her eyes. In other words...looks like someone who is just not feeling well....but at the same time she is acting fine and she feels warm but no fever.

I will keep an eye on her and if another fever hits I think I will go back in and insist on this test.

I will keep my fingers crossed that it does not turn into the flu. No one in our family ever had the flu before UGH!!!!

Thanks again everyone!!!

PS) OH...day two with no probiotics and I am back to my normal self again! (If you know what I mean) LOL