ACN Latitudes Forums

Supplements and side effects

san70

I have been reading this forum for some time but this is my first posting. I have 2 sons with tics. One is almost 8 and has had tics for about 3 years but he definitely showed signs of some motor tics earlier. His motor tics include neck bending, eye blinking, arm stretching, scratching his belly button (has anyone seen this one?), licking the back of his hands, and stretching his fingers. His vocal tic is making a sucking sound with his teeth. I have eliminated all artificial colors and flavors in his diet and when he eats something with them at school, I definitely see an increase in his tics. I have used epsom salts in the bath. I was thinking about starting a magnesium supplement. I have done some research in terms of dosage. According to what I have read, he should have about 110-130 mg/day. I have also read about some gastro side effects. In the forum, I have not read about anyone experiencing side effects with magnesium. Has anyone experienced any negative side effects when using them? Should I start out low and see the effects? Do I space out the magnesium throughout the day? How much should I start with? I am very hesitant about introducing anything new into his diet. A couple of years ago we visited a neurologist, I was definitely turned off as he was ready to give meds. I couldn't believe it. He never even mentioned enviro factors. Thank goodness for this website and Sheila's book. They have given me hope. My other son is 5 and just this winter started with a throat clearing tic. He does it a lot! I often worry if he could be damaging his throat. His pediatrician said that everything sounds okay and doesn't think anything is wrong. It started as a post nasal drip and has continued. I don't know if it is transient or what. Perhaps when the seasons change, I may see a change. He does seem to do through some allergy type nasal thing (sneezing, runny nose) when the seasons change. Both boys are on a good multi and calcium supplements. What about the Naturecalm? I think that's the name. What is the primary ingredient in it? Would I give that with the magnesium? Also, does the brand of the magnesium supplement matter? Any suggestions? Sorry this is so long. I have been doing a lot of thinking and reading in this forum. Thanks for any advice that you can give me.

Hello SAn70,

When we were using the magnesium...we tried natural calm the brand from Peter something???

Then we tried a brand by cardio vasular called mag/taurate.

We ended up sticking with a final kind that worked best for us. It was an ionic magnesium (liquid form, no color, no taste) you can put it in anything.

If you have been reading through the boards you probably already know that what works for one does not always work for another.

Sometimes I felt it was all trial and error, like a guessing game until you found what worked.

I am sure others will chime in soon with replies with their thoughts and maybe ideas....

Best of luck to you...its a long and quite often heart wrenching road...it was for us at least.

Hello SAn70,

When we were using the magnesium...we tried natural calm the brand from Peter something???

Then we tried a brand by cardio vasular called mag/taurate.

We ended up sticking with a final kind that worked best for us. It was an ionic magnesium (liquid form, no color, no taste) you can put it in anything.

If you have been reading through the boards you probably already know that what works for one does not always work for another.

Sometimes I felt it was all trial and error, like a guessing game until you found what worked.

I am sure others will chime in soon with replies with their thoughts and maybe ideas....

Best of luck to you...its a long and quite often heart wrenching road...it was for us at least.

Myrose,

Can you tell me which ionic magnesium you use? My son is 4 and won't swallow pills so magnesium has been a challenge to get into him. Does the ionic magnesium have a laxative effect? What dose do you give your daugther? TIA!

betty04...Hello!

Here is the site where I got the magnesium:

http://www.ionicmagnesium.com/

I purchased the first one shown as you start to scroll down, its item#309.

The dose calls for two tablespoons. This I believe was the adult dose, so I gave her half that. (1 tablesppon)

After I was sure it did not have the effect you mentioned I upped it to the full 2 tablespoons but only every other day.

So one day I would give her the 1 tablespoon and the next day the two tablespoon and then back to 1 tablespoon etc.....

When her tics were in overdrive I just did the two tablespoons daily until they calmed down.

I guess the best way is to start at the half dose and then work up slowly.

I take it now daily or at least every other day. My daughter is on topamax so her tics are not an issue but I still give her some everyonce in awhile if we have a week in which we didn't seem to have any mag food source.

If your daughter likes almonds or sunflower seeds...they have mag in them.

Goodluck and if you try I hope you get the results you are after. It does have vit. C in there as well. Lastly, no odor, no color, no taste

she'll never know its in there.

betty04...Hello!

Here is the site where I got the magnesium:

http://www.ionicmagnesium.com/

I purchased the first one shown as you start to scroll down, its item#309.

The dose calls for two tablespoons. This I believe was the adult dose, so I gave her half that. (1 tablesppon)

After I was sure it did not have the effect you mentioned I upped it to the full 2 tablespoons but only every other day.

So one day I would give her the 1 tablespoon and the next day the two tablespoon and then back to 1 tablespoon etc.....

When her tics were in overdrive I just did the two tablespoons daily until they calmed down.

I guess the best way is to start at the half dose and then work up slowly.

I take it now daily or at least every other day. My daughter is on topamax so her tics are not an issue but I still give her some everyonce in awhile if we have a week in which we didn't seem to have any mag food source.

If your daughter likes almonds or sunflower seeds...they have mag in them.

Goodluck and if you try I hope you get the results you are after. It does have vit. C in there as well. Lastly, no odor, no color, no taste

she'll never know its in there.

Hi San70,

Here is a post that I started in September regarding my son's tics and the recipe that worked for him.

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...amp;#entry26322

We are still pretty much tic free with some minor face stuff once in a while, or lots of face stuff when we eat hot dogs.....now focus is an issue for us!

I looked up each supplement seperately and if something didn't make sense to me, I didn't add it. I asked his doctor to review all of his doses and she never responded. When I saw her last week, she said that it would take her hours upon hours to research all of the supplements and how they interact with each other/the body! Well, I put in hundreds of hours, so for now I am comfortable with everything I am giving him.

Good luck....