ACN Latitudes Forums

Is other allergy med as effective as Benadryl?

patty

Pat,

I have heard many parents say that Zyrtec aggravates their child with tics and actually makes the tics worse. I am not too sure about Claritin. I like the Benadryl Dye-free capsules because they do not have nasty inactive ingredients.

Here's what I mean:

ZYRTEC tablets are formulated as white, film-coated, rounded-off rectangular shaped tablets for oral administration and are available in 5 and 10 mg strengths. Inactive ingredients are: lactose monohydrate; microcrystalline cellulose; colloidal silicon dioxide; croscarmellose sodium; magnesium stearate; titanium dioxide; hypromellose; and polyethylene glycol.

ZYRTEC chewable tablets are formulated as purple round tablets for oral administration and are available in 5 and 10 mghttp://www.latitudes.org/forums/style_images/1/folder_editor_images/rte-bold.png strengths. Inactive ingredients of the chewable tablets are: acesulfame potassium; artificial grape flavor; betadex, NF; blue dye; ; lactose monohydrate; magnesium stearate; mannitol; microcrystalline cellulose; natural flavor; red dye (carmine).

ZYRTEC syrup is a colorless to slightly yellow syrup containing cetirizine hydrochloride at a concentration of 1 mg/mL (5 mg/5 mL) for oral administration. The pH is between 4 and 5. The inactive ingredients of the syrup are: banana flavor; glacial acetic acid; glycerin; grape flavor; methylparaben; propylene glycol; propylparaben; sodium acetate; sugar syrup; and water.

Here are the ingredients to the Dye Free Benadryl in CAPSULE form:

Diphenhydramine Hcl (25 Mg - Antihistamine); gelatin; glycerin; polyethylene Glycol 400; Sorbitol

From Wikipedia: PEG 400 (Polyethylene Glycol 400) is a low molecular weight grade of Polyethylene glycol. It is a clear, colorless, viscous liquid. Due in part to its low toxicity, PEG 400 is widely used in a variety of pharmaceutical formulations.

The glycerin could be animal derived or be a petroleum based product. I wouldn't know without asking the manufacturer, but my hunch is that it is animal derived as this is the case a majority of the time. The sorbitol is a corn-based sweetener that is used by Diabetics. In large doses it has a laxative effect.

So in my opinion, Benadryl Dye Free is the lesser of the 'evils'. We use it as needed and not every day. Also, we only give it once a day and not 4-6 times as directed on the box. It helps our ds when he has had exposure.

And, here is the ingredient listing for Claritin (over the counter)

CLARITIN Tablets contain 10 mg micronized loratadine, an antihistamine, to be administered orally. It also contains the following inactive ingredients: corn starch, lactose, and magnesium stearate.

CLARITIN Syrup contains 1 mg/mL micronized loratadine, an antihistamine, to be administered orally. It also contains the following inactive ingredients:citric acid, edetate disodium, artificial flavor, glycerin, propylene glycol, sodium benzoate, sugar, and water. The pH is between 2.5 and 3.1.

CLARITIN REDITABS (loratadine rapidly-disintegrating tablets)contain 10 mg micronized loratadine, an antihistamine, to be administered orally. It disintegrates in the mouth within seconds after placement on the tongue, allowing its contents to be subsequently swallowed with or without water. CLARITIN REDITABS (loratadine rapidly-disintegrating tablets) also contain the following inactive ingredients: citric acid, gelatin, mannitol, and mint flavor.

Citric Acid can be found on the MSG list and my son absolutely cannot have Citric Acid or he will tic. Any kid with allergy tics from corn or milk will not be able to handle the corn starch or lactose. And the syrup contains sodium benzoate, a known trigger for kids with ADHD. It also has some nasty artificial stuff that are known tic triggers for chemically sensitive kids.

As I and Cheri have stated, the best method is to avoid the foods and environmental elements that cause allergic symptoms. That is the best course. But our kids are still going to get exposures because we do not live in a perfect world and mistakes happen. When we are in such a situation I give my ds the Dye Free Benadryl liquid gel caps and this helps him.