ACN Latitudes Forums

Tummy aches with azithromycin

Pudgeo

We just restarted my son on azithromycin 200 mg a day...and his tummy really hurts. Is there a better time of day to give it? I also am giving pro-biotics AM and PM. I was giving the azith at night but now I wonder if that's worse...did anyone else have this? Thanks for any input..Sarah

We just restarted my son on azithromycin 200 mg a day...and his tummy really hurts. Is there a better time of day to give it? I also am giving pro-biotics AM and PM. I was giving the azith at night but now I wonder if that's worse...did anyone else have this? Thanks for any input..Sarah

I haven't had this with zith, but omnicef does give my daughter tummy aches. Here's what I do with the zith, though: I give it with food, so just before or just after dinner, and so there will be at least 2 hours before bedtime. That's so I can give the probiotics at bedtime-give them a chance to multiply overnight and repopulate the intestine. Because my daughter is on a on/off cycle with the zith-during the on days- I usually give s-boulardii at night, on the off days, probiotic. She is, however, also on Nystatin to kill yeast.

Azithromycin (except Zmax - the time released version) can be taken with or without food, but food reduces stomach upset. Zmax should be taken on an empty stomach 1 hour before eating.

Azithromycin (except Zmax) should not be taken at the same time as aluminum- or magnesium- based antacids, such as Mylanta or Maalox because antacids will bind the azithromycin and prevent it from being absorbed from the intestine.

Regards,

Buster

Thanks so much, I will try to give azith with meal and follow later with pro-biotic..also for tummy aches does anyone see a difference in taking the capsules VS liquid? any easier on the stomach?..we are planning on staying on for 6 months so I don't want my son to suffer that long..thanks! Sarah