ACN Latitudes Forums

Unable to speak, a tic?

I posted last week how my son was unable to speak in school and that sent us on a trip to the ER, joy. Well, after a normal CT scan the dr is not worried, but it has happended a couple more times, lasting an hour or two each occurance. He can't even whisper when it happens, it's like he can't get his vocal cords to do a thing. The Dr thinks it's just a type of tic. Seems strange to me. Has anyone heard of this being a type of tic or have any thoughts on it? It really concerns me (on top of everything else of course).

I posted last week how my son was unable to speak in school and that sent us on a trip to the ER, joy. Well, after a normal CT scan the dr is not worried, but it has happended a couple more times, lasting an hour or two each occurance. He can't even whisper when it happens, it's like he can't get his vocal cords to do a thing. The Dr thinks it's just a type of tic. Seems strange to me. Has anyone heard of this being a type of tic or have any thoughts on it? It really concerns me (on top of everything else of course).

Well, I think if this was the doctor's own child, he would be seeking an explanation. I would not be satisfied with the doctor's best "guess" for why this is happening and I can tell you aren't satisfied either. I'd request to see a neurologist. Just because its not caused by a brain tumor, doesn't mean its benign. W/O proof that it's a tic, I'd be looking to rule out possible causes, especially dangerous ones. I think there are a lot of things it could be, incluing a strange tic, but I'd sure want to make sure all avnues were explored. I know with choreatic movements, often the irregular, uncontrolled movements are triggered by attempts at purposeful movement. And I guess this could happen with vocal chord muscles as well. Stll, to assume this is what's going on w/o further investigation...I wouldn't be willing to stand for that.