ACN Latitudes Forums

My Facial Tics are really starting to bother me

AHB900

Abbe

no one of us can predict whether anything suggested here would totally remove your tics

as has been mentioned many times...it depends on what is CAUSING your tics and those factors are varied.

however

many here who have identified the triggers for tics have seen remarkable results when eliminating those...in some cases with total remission of the tics (eg those with food/environmental allergy induced tics)

not all cases of tics are Tourette Syndrome and so yes, some tic disorders CAN be totally "cured"

and even tho there is not yet a finite cure for TS, even there the many helpful things we advocate here can change things dramatically, as with my son. He does still tic yes, but 10 years ago his tics etc were so bad he could not live a "normal" life. Changing his diet, environment and adding supplements, acupuncture etc while also cleaning out the candida "yeast", mercury and other toxins changed his condition from very severe to mild

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok i got a new question, lets say my tics are caused by alergies/stress does that mean there is a chance that MSGs, food dyes, and other types of triggers wont trigger my tics, and by solving my allergy problem and stress problems i would be tic free? Or are these MSGs and other stuff just universal tic triggers?

if you are ticcing *only* because of allergic reaction to foods then yes eliminating them will take your tics away.

if offending foods are just a part of your tic puzzle, you will have moved at least one step closer to solving it.

if you fell no better after removing them then likely they are not your triggers, but generally they seem to be pretty ick for everyone, tics or no tics.

Ok i got a new question, lets say my tics are caused by alergies/stress does that mean there is a chance that MSGs, food dyes, and other types of triggers wont trigger my tics, and by solving my allergy problem and stress problems i would be tic free?

Yes. If x, y,and z trigger your tics but a, b and c don't, then solving the problem (or removing) x, y and z would eliminate your tics.

Or are these MSGs and other stuff just universal tic triggers?

No, only in some people. Many people aren't affected by MSG (insert Chinese food reference).

Actually, MSG is a chemical that enhances the flavor of meat in food. So if it's not a trigger for you there's not really a problem with eating it (assuming you don't have sodium issues, because it IS high in sodium).

I found this interesting. You know how there are four "tastes", sour, sweet, bitter, and salty? Well Japanese researchers believe there is a fifth, "meaty," which is encountered when you eat things like beef or tomatoes. Anyway, MSG enhances that taste, which is why it's found in things like canned ravioli and ramen and stuff... it makes the food taste better. When American GIs came back from war, they said they liked the Asian troop's rations better than their own because they had MSG in them.

It can also mess with insulin, tho, which is why a lot of people report feeling hungry again shortly after eating Chinese food.

So generally speaking, if your sodium is under control, and you don't have insulin issues, and MSG isn't a tic trigger for you, it's probably not too bad (or everyone in Asia would be super sick).

But it is worth eliminating it for a while to see if it makes a difference. It has many names, the most common of which is "monosodium glutamate."

Hmm very interesting. This is a very tricky situation... By going to the doctor would he/she be able to tell me what the reason for my tics are? Or will it still be a hit or miss

Perhaps a neurologist could order at PET (positron emission tomography) scan which could see if your neurotransmitters are goofed up. That's the only diagnostic tool I've seen for tic disorders. Even so, the recommended course of action probably wouldn't change. You really don't want to use dopamine blockers (neuroleptics) if you can help it because the side-effects are worse than the tics in many cases.

Doctors will often want to try different medications which will be hit or miss. Some people have good results with Clonidine. Others don't. Basically they'll try one and if it doesn't work they'll try another.

Do your research and don't let the doc put you on anything you don't want. I made a 12 page chart of medications and side effects and brought it with me and my doctor was cool and said "we'll only try stuff you are comfortable with" which is why I got a prescription for Clonidine. My neurologist said "I've had good results with Risperdal" and I said "###### no!"

I can send you my document with all the medications grouped by type, mechanism of action, study results and side effects if you are interested.

Hmm very interesting. This is a very tricky situation... By going to the doctor would he/she be able to tell me what the reason for my tics are? Or will it still be a hit or miss

depends on the kind of doctor

most conventional docs see tics=Tourette and not many recognize the allergy/nutritional/infection etc connections

Alternative/naturopath/environmental/integrative type docs are more clued up IMO on these things

personally I wouldnt go near MSG and even many top Asian food manufacturers have eliminated it totally because of its wide ranging health problem triggers

well thanks for all the information. I dont understand the past few days ive only been eating at home clean chicken breast home cooked home seasoned and veggies or home made pasta with my own topping and some food we make in our house its on a tortilla bread with beef, garlic and stuff. Im great at home usually tic free well except a few minor eye blinking and neck stretching, but once i leave the house to go out with friends or go to school im start to tic not crazy harsh ticing but enough to bother me. Why would this be?

Im great at home usually tic free well except a few minor eye blinking and neck stretching, but once i leave the house to go out with friends or go to school im start to tic not crazy harsh ticing but enough to bother me. Why would this be?

Perhaps your tics increase with stress/anxiety and leaving home makes you slightly anxious. At home they don't bother you because you're completely comfortable.

Im great at home usually tic free well except a few minor eye blinking and neck stretching, but once i leave the house to go out with friends or go to school im start to tic not crazy harsh ticing but enough to bother me. Why would this be?

Perhaps your tics increase with stress/anxiety and leaving home makes you slightly anxious. At home they don't bother you because you're completely comfortable.

yeh and also its always on my mind in public how can i fix this?

• 9 years later...

I suffered from psychologically induced muscle twitching on the left side of my face.  It occurred mostly when I thought and worried about it.  I tried acupuncture.  It is miraculous how well it works.  If you are having facial twitches, please go to an acupuncturist and tell them to put a needle right in the middle of the muscle that is twitching.  If it doesn't work the first time, try going 3 - 4 times.  It changed my life. 

• 3 weeks later...