ACN Latitudes Forums

Prophylactic antibiotics before dental cleaning

My three PANDAS children are having a dental cleaning this afternoon. They are all currently taking Zithromax 250mg/day, but I am still very worried the cleaning may cause a flareup. They were off the Zithromax for almost 3 weeks in December when they had chickenpox and two of them are not responding as well to the Zithromax as they have seemed to in the past (still very labile, but no tics). I am wondering if I should give them extra Zithromax before their appointment today?

EAMom,

I saw where you posted giving your daughter Amoxicillin on the day of her dental cleaning. Any thoughts on adding extra Zith?

Thanks,

Colleen

How did the cleaning go? What did you end up doing? Did you notice any changes after the cleaning?

I'm freaked out about ever taking mine again, b/c her huge spike in OCD behaviors and terrible intrusive thoughts started after her last dental cleaning.

-DawnMCH

quote name='colleenrn' date='Jan 29 2009, 12:27 PM' post='29777']

My three PANDAS children are having a dental cleaning this afternoon. They are all currently taking Zithromax 250mg/day, but I am still very worried the cleaning may cause a flareup. They were off the Zithromax for almost 3 weeks in December when they had chickenpox and two of them are not responding as well to the Zithromax as they have seemed to in the past (still very labile, but no tics). I am wondering if I should give them extra Zithromax before their appointment today?

EAMom,

I saw where you posted giving your daughter Amoxicillin on the day of her dental cleaning. Any thoughts on adding extra Zith?

Thanks,

Colleen

The cleaning went OK- so far I have not noticed an increase in behaviors. I ended up not giving them extra zithromax. I am worried that my 6 yo is not responding to the Zithromax as he did the first time we used it. Not sure if I should switch him to a cephalosporin.

Colleen