ACN Latitudes Forums

repeating words

My daughter was diagnosed with OCD at 12 yrs old. Along with many of the typical rituals of OCD sufferers like touching objects, order and symmetry she also has a speech ritual which for her has been the hardest ritual to hide. When she speaks she can only use the present tense or singular form of a word to avoid triggering a ritual. For example she will say: "The girl go to the store" instead of " The girl goes to the store". If she says the word 'goes' correctly in the sentence she will then have to repeat the word "go" four times because that is the 'perfect' way to say that word. She has learned different ways of speaking to get around it so she doesn't have to say the ritual and so it won't sound so funny to her friends. Her biggest disguise is just whispering what she wants to say in order to 'trick' the OCD. But as she gets older (she's now 18) and is dating it becomes more difficult to hide it. She wants to overcome this one but will not go on medication to help. Has anyone seen or experienced this type of ritual??

Hi

my son has had similar OCD symptoms

he is pretty stable at present on high dose Inositol daily along with P-5-P and methyl B12 and some methionine, plus daily multi. omega3 etc

the OCD used to seriously impact his life and we have been through many ups and downs with it, but since the high dose inositol it really has calmed dramatically

Cheri,

What is your opinion on adding Inositol with 10 mg Lexapro? Everything I read didn't list any problems with it. Of course I am worried about serotonin syndrome. I don't think it would be possible with the combination of Lexapro and Inositol. I want to use it for OCD issues. What dosage are you using for your son. I was thinking of starting very slowly with 500 mg and working up if needed.

Thanks,

Anne

Hi Anne

that really is something you should check with a physician as I know nothing about Lexapro

my son now takes around 12gm Inositol daily (he uses the Jarrow Powder which we get at a great price from iherb.com) and yes, we also started at 500mg per day. When he feels the OCD waxing he ups it to 16 grams a day. He emphatically feels that it works best with the P-5-P form of VitB6 and the methylcobalamin form of B12

remember too my son is 19yo and so takes adult dose