ACN Latitudes Forums

Ready to medicate....any input out there....2009

SO MUCH HAS HAPPENED nothing great of course The tics have gotten so bad tht hes on home instruction been to UMDNJ tring a new medication tri leptial i see him calmer but still ticing Fs Bs a little better but hes also not going to school What a mess hes a little less anxious He is in Therapy and Hes doing accupuncture I have stopped the vitamines and am concentrating on meds its to desperate we did go to dinner tonight fridays its loud and if he curses noone could hear but he did ok I do have a question does anyones kid ever say that they hear them stutter?

Go onto the ADHD forums. They are very active and have lots of different boards for different meds and symptoms. How is the meds going? The Risperdal is like the Abilify we use however it can cause a lot of weight gain. We take 10 mg of Abilify 5 AM, 5 PM. My son is not foggy at all on it. Also we just started Concerta 18 mg but he has been a bit more anxious, harder to sleep, and had a few meltdowns on it. I am beginning to wonder about the ASD also. How dis you get that diagnosed? Which med are they saying will help the ADHD? Originally Dr. said the abilify would help with ADHD but I think he needed more focus. How old is he? We go to a neuro who specializes in movement disorders or tics. When you call the local hospital or look up online see what each of the ped neuros specialize in.

Michele

Yes we had to see a psychiatrist for children. They manage the meds and are very knowledgeable about how to medicate for attention with kids who have tics. She explained one thing though, they oftem have to medicate with more then one type to control other symptoms. We are currently using Abilify 10 mg. a day split in the AM and PM to control the moods and the tics, and just started Concerta for the ADD. I think the ADD meds can add to the anxiety though which is not good. I think they make the tics and moods worse. I had considered the Risperdol when the 5 mg of Abilify wasn't cutting the meltdowns and rage. However the weight gain and side effects seem worse then the Abilify. Psychiatrist Dr. T Murphy said she likes Tennex and Ritalin FIY. I can't say my son is completely right (slight melt down last night )but I think it is getting better.

Michele

Can anyone sugest Meds fir tourettes hes already taking Bonnies Vitamines day 10 no luck yey behaviors are bad and hes cursing sooo much He needs meds!!! Willing to try something already tried so many things Abilify no good made him foggy luvox nothing Catapress patch never got anywhere lo dose I think we are going to try tenex is rispadol worth a shot I hear so many negitives any o ne have a positive? He also has ASD was higher fuctioning but with the TS hes regressing I have asked so many times for help I am begging now !!! Thanks in advance

I have an appointment at UMDNJ wish me luck I filled the rispadol prescription but havent started him on it not sure I want to I have an appoint tom another opinion maybe they have the answer Sure any way hes on tenex 1 mg 1x per day and bonnies vitamines no help yet not sure about anything his anxiety is high and frustration is low and mines not to far behind pray for us

Thanks for responding. We have been almost artificial/preservative free for about a year. Some sneaks in, but he eats pretty healthy for a kid (turkey, nuts, fruit, popcorn, all natural juice for lunch). He gets minor corn syrup, but I really try to make sure that junk doesn't sneak in too often.

The only appointment for psychiatrists (?) are late March....so late, when he is looking at being held back....he needs to be able to focus now. I hear that Concerta is decent...my sister's boys use it and one of them has TS plus ADHD. I don't like the possibility of side effects!!!

I made an appointment with an "Oriental Medicine" Dr. for this Friday......I don't know what I will do b/c if I start something with her and then try meds, we are really messing with his system. I want a quick fix and I want it now....his focus is so horrible and I have these visions of him not moving on in school ....(with all of his buddies, who have been best friends since pre-K!!!)

Ginko Bilboa was added starting last night and he fought me over taking his supplements, which he rarely does....then I had to leave work early to pick him up b/c he had a stomach ache at school.

My frustration is worse than his b/c I am against these meds that mess with his brain chemistry, but something has got to happen because he is like a ping pong ball at home too......

• 3 weeks later...

tracey:

I know how you feel! First let me say this - of UTMOST importance and bearing is, does your son have an IEP?? i know your post was written a while ago, but is your son in special ed? if not, you are missing out on some protections that the law provides children with ADHD and tourette's, PDD and the like, so that they are not necessarily retained, for example, when they are having a hard time because of their disability, or issue. If you want an IEP, you need to request special education testing from your school district by letter. if you need info or help on this you can contact me.

also, the attention thing............is there anything your son pays attention to? can he not sit and attend to even preffered things like TV or a video game?

Thanks for the info......but I don't know if I have the energy or time to wait on supplements this time......the school is looking at retaining my son. It is his inattention and lack of focus that are big issues. We have seen them at home for a while now and it is driving us crazy, but we didn't realize how badly it has affected his school work. His testing scores have decreased greatly since the beginning of school and he has one more testing cycle to determine if he moves on next year. I WISH I could test the supplements and find the right recipe for this, but I think the clock is against me this time.

When I did the tic research, I was desperate and used up every extra moment I had to myself. I found the right recipe, but it took time and testing the supplements on him. I have 4 months until the end of the school year, and I don't want him retained. HE IS smart enough, but can't focus.

FAITH - I know that you have seen me one these boards for the last year (I am looking at only tics/ADHD/LD...no OCD as he has no routine he follows with ANYTHING). I sit here in absolute tears because I am so angry and frustrated over the situation! He is such a sweet boy and works so hard...and gags on his "ice cream supplements", but takes them without complaint because he knows that it takes the tics away.....now he looks at me and says, "I don't do well at reading"........We are starting to argue because he can not focus on ANY task we give him to do......I have spent 8 years in a classroom taking on kids who other teachers don't prefer to teach because they struggle so much.....I do everything I can to make sure that I reach their learning styles and renew their sense of "I can learn"......WHY ME, WHY MY CHILD??? ..ughhhhhh...

I have a doctors appointment next Friday....this DR wanted me to medicate for tics "instead of him taking 9 other pills a day", which I know is not the best doctor to stick with, but it is my quickest start....I will arm myself with information for the next week and a half to go in fully informed on my options....maybe this summer I can test the supplements for ADHD. I just pray that whatever we do does not upset the balance we have right now with the tics!!

Airbucket,

Yes he has an IEP...trying with all my might for them to look at SLD, because he is only OHI right now. We have the tics, ADHD, and now some type of vision issue. I find out about the vision issue on Tuesday....but from what I have read it is commonly misdiagnosed as ADD.....the teachers say he can not focus at all....see a lot of that at home, but he could watch five hours of TV or play multiple hours of wii!!!! Focus is slightly better since seeing the Chinese Medicine Dr. and doing an elimination diet...with lots of cheating!

One month to try all alternatives before I look at other options...we have acupuncture on Tuesday....my fingers are crossed!!!

Go onto the ADHD forums. They are very active and have lots of different boards for different meds and symptoms. How is the meds going? The Risperdal is like the Abilify we use however it can cause a lot of weight gain. We take 10 mg of Abilify 5 AM, 5 PM. My son is not foggy at all on it. Also we just started Concerta 18 mg but he has been a bit more anxious, harder to sleep, and had a few meltdowns on it. I am beginning to wonder about the ASD also. How dis you get that diagnosed? Which med are they saying will help the ADHD? Originally Dr. said the abilify would help with ADHD but I think he needed more focus. How old is he? We go to a neuro who specializes in movement disorders or tics. When you call the local hospital or look up online see what each of the ped neuros specialize in.

Michele

Yes we had to see a psychiatrist for children. They manage the meds and are very knowledgeable about how to medicate for attention with kids who have tics. She explained one thing though, they oftem have to medicate with more then one type to control other symptoms. We are currently using Abilify 10 mg. a day split in the AM and PM to control the moods and the tics, and just started Concerta for the ADD. I think the ADD meds can add to the anxiety though which is not good. I think they make the tics and moods worse. I had considered the Risperdol when the 5 mg of Abilify wasn't cutting the meltdowns and rage. However the weight gain and side effects seem worse then the Abilify. Psychiatrist Dr. T Murphy said she likes Tennex and Ritalin FIY. I can't say my son is completely right (slight melt down last night )but I think it is getting better.

Michele

Can anyone sugest Meds fir tourettes hes already taking Bonnies Vitamines day 10 no luck yey behaviors are bad and hes cursing sooo much He needs meds!!! Willing to try something already tried so many things Abilify no good made him foggy luvox nothing Catapress patch never got anywhere lo dose I think we are going to try tenex is rispadol worth a shot I hear so many negitives any o ne have a positive? He also has ASD was higher fuctioning but with the TS hes regressing I have asked so many times for help I am begging now !!! Thanks in advance

I have an appointment at UMDNJ wish me luck I filled the rispadol prescription but havent started him on it not sure I want to I have an appoint tom another opinion maybe they have the answer Sure any way hes on tenex 1 mg 1x per day and bonnies vitamines no help yet not sure about anything his anxiety is high and frustration is low and mines not to far behind pray for us

My kids wer mis-diagnosed with Tics and A.D.D. and O.C.D.'S 3-4 years later found out they have P.A.N.D.A.S.

We found Dr K. who is awesome!! My oldest son just had I.V.I.G. infusion and is 95% cured 90 days after treatment.

Here's his website http://www.webpediatrics.com/pandas.html

Good luck and God bless.

HI Tracey,

I just posted about a recent appt I went to about neurofeedback for my eight year old son. It's non invasive and very easy for kids to take part in. To my suprise just today I found out that my insurance is going to cover the treatments. First they do a clinical assessment with just you or you and your child. Then they do a brain mapping. They send it away to be evaluated and when it comes back they match it up with their assessment. If it matches then they decide on how much treatment you need. My son will need about twenty sessions. They go twice a week, sit in a chair and do their home work. THey have three electrodes that measure outgoing brain acitivity on a computer and use an auditory response system to beep and train the brain when it produces changes in the brain waves that are positive until it gets to where normal brain waves are created.

You should check it out. THey use it for epilepsy, ADHD, Anxiety, migranes, insomnia. They can acutally see if you son has ADD. I Find that more comforting than a person giving me their opinion and then prescribing a life long med. This is perminant and I am told that every five sessions they check the status and should be able to see an improvement on the brain waves to see if it's working. I don't know, I think it's worth it for me. I am really not comfortable putting my eight year old on meds. I also heard that these meds are not FDA approved for children. They are adult drugs that have not been tested on pediatric levels. Also, kids on meds for ADD etc.. once they have grown older their brains end up being smaller than those of who did not take medication. I know some kids need it and I am in no way judging, I just want to try everything before I get to that. Everything.

good luck

ps heres a good artcile to get started

http://www.qeeg.com/adhd.html

Airbucket,

Yes he has an IEP...trying with all my might for them to look at SLD, because he is only OHI right now. We have the tics, ADHD, and now some type of vision issue. I find out about the vision issue on Tuesday....but from what I have read it is commonly misdiagnosed as ADD.....the teachers say he can not focus at all....see a lot of that at home, but he could watch five hours of TV or play multiple hours of wii!!!! Focus is slightly better since seeing the Chinese Medicine Dr. and doing an elimination diet...with lots of cheating!

One month to try all alternatives before I look at other options...we have acupuncture on Tuesday....my fingers are crossed!!!

• 9 months later...